danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to msanta

to msanta

Re: Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA4500 instead of Verizon router

said by msanta:

I don't want to loose my caller ID feature

You will need the Actiontec in front of any router to keep the remote access features -remote dvr, CID, home security etc.

I would avoid any of the new Cisco EA routers due to the new Cloud Connect mess they have rolled out, that includes the EA4500, EA3500 and the EA2700 routers. I would recommend any of their other routers instead so that you retain control. Or if you must have a strong wireless signal look at the higher end ASUS routers. They are very very good and come with a full featured firmware.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

please dont bring in the cloud connect BS from the other parts of the site. A simple turning off of the auto update prevents it. The EA line is a perfectly good line of routers and I will not allow somoene to start trouble because a few people like to complain and bash a company.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

cloud connect BS

Well I agree with this part of it.

While I'm not bashing the company (too much), I think smart folks would do well to take a pass on it until the BS settles.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I would have to disagree on this, I think that smart people or other shouldn't let the BS deter themselves from a good hardware product. I use the EA4500 myself and have been happy with it since it first was released for sale. I've also used the E3200, the E4200v1, and the E4200v2 and I think they are all good rock solid quality routers. I mean like I've said I've installed these routers for customers with a wide variety of ISP's and speeds and I've never had any complaints or performance issues. Yes I do wish that Cisco didn't botch the whole Connect Cloud thing because now the proponents for the hardware have to deal with this firestorm.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

2 recommendations

danclan

said by Mike Wolf:

I would have to disagree on this, I think that smart people or other shouldn't let the BS deter themselves from a good hardware product. I use the EA4500 myself and have been happy with it since it first was released for sale. I've also used the E3200, the E4200v1, and the E4200v2 and I think they are all good rock solid quality routers. I mean like I've said I've installed these routers for customers with a wide variety of ISP's and speeds and I've never had any complaints or performance issues. Yes I do wish that Cisco didn't botch the whole Connect Cloud thing because now the proponents for the hardware have to deal with this firestorm.

Sure the hardware is rock solid. But it will never run 3rd party firmware and may never receive an update to patch any insecurity in the base code without the onerous cloud connect service.

Every expert out there sees this as a bad thing. Cloud connect ruins any prospect of being able to recommend this or any future Cisco consumer product that uses any cloud connect service.

And given that Cisco still reserves the right to update you without your permission via the TOS that's a show stopper period.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Automatic update implies you are giving permission for them to upgrade without your involvement. I think the jump between the old layout and the new layout is just too jarring for most.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

In the TOS they reserve the right to update you even if you have auto-update disabled.

"In some cases, in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting."

»www.cisco.com/web/siteas ··· upp.html - Last sentence in the TOS

Which is damn sad given that like many I think the hardware is really just pretty damn good.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Does this TOS apply pre or post Connect Cloud installation? By which I mean if a customer never upgrades to Connect Cloud does this TOS apply, or does it only apply if the customer is currently running the Connect Cloud firmware?

Also I agree about the good hardware I mean this is the first round of routers with a 1.2GHz processor and 128MB of flash memory and 1280MB of RAM.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by Mike Wolf:

Does this TOS apply pre or post Connect Cloud installation? By which I mean if a customer never upgrades to Connect Cloud does this TOS apply, or does it only apply if the customer is currently running the Connect Cloud firmware?

Also I agree about the good hardware I mean this is the first round of routers with a 1.2GHz processor and 128MB of flash memory and 1280MB of RAM.

No idea but if were a lawyer....it really wouldn't matter it's the TOS of using my companies software so it applies regardless of when or if you use CCC....until Cisco clarifies I'd assume the worst

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

»blogs.cisco.com/home/ans ··· t-cloud/

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Pure Cisco BS. Notice that they don't want any feedback on the post.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

complain here »Cisco Responds to Automatic, Snooping Firmware Backlash [92] comments instead of here.
Expand your moderator at work