uniqs
share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

Simple Answer

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers. Companies can only get away with doing things like this if people allow them to, though it never ceases to amaze me that the people that make up these companies can easily forget they are dealing with people and should treat them like they would like to be treated.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

I think short term this a huge PR blunder but the sheeple will continue to buy their products unless this remains the big deal it is. This effectively turns your router into a PS3 and by that I mean you really don't own it. It's not yours to do with as you see fit unless you are FULLY aware of how to prevent them from totally mucking your router.

And what is to stop them from making the next gen router do this right out of the box where don't have a choice but to only use the 'cloud connect' stupidity?

This is a sad development from Cisco and I look forward to buying and recommending Asus and other manufacturers.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers.

I've decided, due to this single act by Cisco ... that I'll not be purchasing any more of their products ever again, and will not be recommending them to friends, family or acquaintances.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to quetwo

said by quetwo:

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...

and what happens when someone figures out how to log into other peoples routers? It wont take long, and before long, someone can fuck with your router and never even have to be on your network. Some things need to remain off the cloud, and local hardware management(unless you need otherwise, which is fine, set up remote access, its there on most routers already) should stay local. It leaves less chance of someone getting on your network. And with the routers ability to track what your doing, it only leaves a matter of time before someone exploits it for personal gain(by siphoning the data, with credit card numbers ect...). I give it a month before its compromised and they are then issuing an "upgrade" that gives all the same functionality without the cloud interface.

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

1 recommendation

reply to newview

said by newview:

said by AVonGauss:

The simple answer is simply to stop buying Cisco/Linksys branded routers.

I've decided, due to this single act by Cisco ... that I'll not be purchasing any more of their products ever again, and will not be recommending them to friends, family or acquaintances.

Heh, I made that decision a couple of years ago to stop buying Linksys stuff and switch over to Netgear. To force consumers to sign-up for a "cloud" account just to access and maintain their routers is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of and I hope the execs at Cisco get roasted over this decision.

flbas1

join:2010-02-03
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to newview

I decided that when I bought a N router (160n - v2). it crashed regularly, even with updated firmware. I remember that there were 3 firmware versions. one was slow, one was reliable but without any cool features, and one crashed. You had to pick your poison.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Chubbysumo

Agreed. Back in the days of DNSChanger malware being abundant throughout the P2P community for music (Read: Limewire), often times malware would change settings such as DNS Servers and routes in a router if the malware was specifically designed for a router and the admin password was left unchanged. Adding in cloud features, granted an exploit can be found, could easily bring about this same issue once again.

morph69alrea

@host36-server.com
reply to AVonGauss

or buy them then put a good firmware like ddwrt or another open source option

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA
reply to quetwo

So, the cloud is evil. Who knew?