uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22

I'm confused about the whole issue

quote:
...since it automatically upgraded them to a firmware that required they log into the cloud to conduct even rudimentary router changes.

If your WAN is down you can't log into your router to see that your WAN is down? Seems a very stupid design to me.
circade
join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

circade

You can log in to the router, but you will have very limited control over the router. Cisco severely cripples your control locally.

In order to modify such things as Guest Access and port forwarding or other advanced features, you must have internet access and log in to Cisco Connect Cloud. There is no opt-out. The privacy-invasive ToS was the icing on the cake.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

WTF. So if this service goes down, temporarily or permanently, the router configuration is severely crippled? So stupid.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by pnjunction:

WTF. So if this service goes down, temporarily or permanently, the router configuration is severely crippled? So stupid.

Sooo stupid it's dumb!

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

pnjunction

Premium Member

I think the procedure to revert to non-cloud-crippled firmware also had logging into the cloud configuration as one of the steps. LOLOL

Also isn't Cisco rumoured to be shutting down the whole consumer division? If true how long will they keep the service up after that?