share rss forum feed

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI
reply to danclan

Re: Simple Answer

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by quetwo:

I'm pretty sure that the latest model of these routers are shipping with this new firmware.. So... then there's that...

and what happens when someone figures out how to log into other peoples routers? It wont take long, and before long, someone can fuck with your router and never even have to be on your network. Some things need to remain off the cloud, and local hardware management(unless you need otherwise, which is fine, set up remote access, its there on most routers already) should stay local. It leaves less chance of someone getting on your network. And with the routers ability to track what your doing, it only leaves a matter of time before someone exploits it for personal gain(by siphoning the data, with credit card numbers ect...). I give it a month before its compromised and they are then issuing an "upgrade" that gives all the same functionality without the cloud interface.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

Agreed. Back in the days of DNSChanger malware being abundant throughout the P2P community for music (Read: Limewire), often times malware would change settings such as DNS Servers and routes in a router if the malware was specifically designed for a router and the admin password was left unchanged. Adding in cloud features, granted an exploit can be found, could easily bring about this same issue once again.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA
reply to quetwo

So, the cloud is evil. Who knew?