Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Direct drive washing machine - Gear is trashed

Before we start, here is the basic info on my washing machine.

Inglis Superb II
Stylemaster 4213343 rev a
Direct Drive

So my Inglis washing machine had two-way agitator (Top half would spin in opposite direction of bottom part).

Eventually the top part stopped spinning... no worries, we never fill it up that high.

Then the drum would occasionally fail to spin during the drain process. The pump would drain water away, but the drum wouldn't spin.

Now yesterday, the drum won't spin and the bottom agitator won't spin. Though the motor keeps on running.

So I opened up my washer and underneath I found a pile of plastic dust (Gear being ground up over time?) and an unrecognizable piece of plastic (Mechanical part type of plastic, not aesthetics)

That's a canadian nickel for scale (Same size as american nickel)

I'm guessing the gear box is shot and when I first opened it up, I hoped for a belt driven mechanism which would have been easy to fix.

Now I face a direct driven washing machine with no visible parts to replace (Heck even with that piece of plastic, it's destroyed beyond recognition).

New washing machine time?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Given the age of the machine, I'd say replacement parts would be near impossible to find to begin with (assuming that it is even fixable), so I'd count on getting a new washer.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by sk1939:

Given the age of the machine, I'd say replacement parts would be near impossible to find to begin with (assuming that it is even fixable), so I'd count on getting a new washer.

And I thought old machines were more easily serviceable

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to alkizmo
Unless you just want to buy a new unit, don't give up on this one until you've worn out Google about it. It seems that there are quite a few people out there who've run into similar problems, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if parts aren't still available for it; used ones, at least.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit
said by scross:

Unless you just want to buy a new unit, don't give up on this one until you've worn out Google about it. It seems that there are quite a few people out there who've run into similar problems, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if parts aren't still available for it; used ones, at least.

Well I didn't.

I found this guide
»www.instructables.com/id/Fixing- ··· ALLSTEPS

Which I followed (Thank God most old washing machines are made very similarly) and I found the worn out couplers with the plastic dust! And that piece I showed above is the "rubber" pad in between the two couplers. Even if it's all broken up, I can see that it was made to fit in between. It must have fallen off from breaking up, then the two couplers now had no rubber in between to prevent being too lose and hitting each others too hard, so they eventually broke up too!

As for the top agitator, it was a completely different thing. It was the agitator dogs that were worn out. That's a 5$ replacement

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo
FIXED!

Old machines serviceable? Extremely! I just didn't dig enough at the beginning (Was anticipating the wrong problem).

I bought a 25$ coupling that is SOOO standard that every appliances parts shop carries it. I got myself some standard 5$ agitator dogs to fix the problem with the top part of the agitator that wasn't shaking anymore as well.

After 15-20 years of service and all that breaks are parts that are readily available because they're the most common to break... 15-20 years.... woah.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by alkizmo:

FIXED!

Old machines serviceable? Extremely! I just didn't dig enough at the beginning (Was anticipating the wrong problem).

I bought a 25$ coupling that is SOOO standard that every appliances parts shop carries it. I got myself some standard 5$ agitator dogs to fix the problem with the top part of the agitator that wasn't shaking anymore as well.

After 15-20 years of service and all that breaks are parts that are readily available because they're the most common to break... 15-20 years.... woah.

i know how you feel, i tracked down a 1977 maytag identical to my mothers when my 6 year old GE (mabe) went on the fritz. the second hand appliance store i deal with wont keep anything newer than 10 years on hand.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by telco_mtl:

i know how you feel, i tracked down a 1977 maytag identical to my mothers when my 6 year old GE (mabe) went on the fritz. the second hand appliance store i deal with wont keep anything newer than 10 years on hand.

Well it's not like old units are perfect. I had a hell of a time putting back on the cover. The base was disgustingly rusty. It did spend a lot of time in a basement. I spent an hour cleaning up the laundry room from all the rust stains.

But woah, while the coupling only made it go from not-spinning to spinning, the new agitator dogs did a miracle. The agitator had been dead for 2 years and I never knew what it was. Had I know it was 4 little plastic pieces at 5$.... man. My washing machine is now as aggressive as I remember from my childhood.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by alkizmo:

said by telco_mtl:

Well it's not like old units are perfect. I had a hell of a time putting back on the cover. The base was disgustingly rusty. It did spend a lot of time in a basement. I spent an hour cleaning up the laundry room from all the rust stains.

But woah, while the coupling only made it go from not-spinning to spinning, the new agitator dogs did a miracle. The agitator had been dead for 2 years and I never knew what it was. Had I know it was 4 little plastic pieces at 5$.... man. My washing machine is now as aggressive as I remember from my childhood.

what i find sad is that now there are pretty much 3 major manufacturers, whirlpool, mabe and electrolux, they all make pretty much the same thing, but the sub brands they sell mean nothing now, a maytag is now an expensive whirlpool