Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

[OT] Weather Underground being acquired by The Weather Channel

I don't know if this is good or bad, but in his blog today Dr. Jeff Masters announced that Weather Underground has agreed to be purchased by The Weather Channel Companies

More details in his blog at »www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa···num=2143

Elderberry
Premium
join:2001-07-24
Shreveport, LA

Re: [OT] Weather Underground being acquired by The Weather Chann

I suspect it will not be good.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Shady Bimmer
Oh well.. They will be going the way of for profit forecasting now.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to Elderberry
said by Elderberry:

I suspect it will not be good.

I agree.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Shady Bimmer
I got that notice as well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. If TWC messes it up, well it was great while it lasted.

tanker001

join:2003-04-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Shady Bimmer
My first thought is it would just make the site worse. Then the more I think about it, it would be an improvement to TWC.

TWC is no longer "The Weather Channel" just like MTV is no longer "Music Television". I am so sick of these reality like programs every time I want to look up what's going on. I hear some rumbling in the middle of the night and want to know if I'm about to get pounded, go the the TV, turn on TWC, and all I get is one of there stupid reality programs. No local on the 8's (for a radar shot). I'm an aviation junkie and like the Alaska Coast Guard show and the show with Buffalo Air. I just don't want to see them on TWC. Just like I don't want to see pro wrestling on SiFi. To me TWC is selling out.

I'm currently still on Dial-Up at home and have analog cable. Yes I'm in the stone ages, but I'm working on it. When I finally upgrade my ISP I will no longer be going to TWC for weather info.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to Shady Bimmer
What they said. ^^^

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to tanker001
said by tanker001:

TWC is no longer "The Weather Channel" just like MTV is no longer "Music Television".

While I no longer watch cable TV, from what I remember, even when MTV morphed into something else, they still had MTV2 that that was mostly about music.

As for what happens with wunderground -- I'm still using it via »classic.wunderground.com since I don't like at aall their newer interface. Are they going to be better or worse, or unchanged? I have no idea, but I think we'll find that out soon.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Shady Bimmer
I stopped watching the weather channel back in like 2004 last time I looked at it last year it takes so long to get to the local on the 8's

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Shady Bimmer
This is bad.

Have you been to the weather.com lately? It's like a freaking geocities site circa 1998... motion and flashing everywhere... half the page is ads, fourty percent are sensationized weather-related stories, videos or photo montages... maybe 10% is what you'd expect... over all it's all fluff and very little substance. Their only redeeming feature--the text forecast--got harder and harder to locate and now seems to be completely gone. You can no longer get a 5-day narrative text forecast from them that can read on a single screen, you must click through all the days (and probably refresh their 55-second Bud Lite weekend ads, as well as "One Weird Trick" and "Obama Lowers Mortgage Rates Again!")

They are buying WU to eliminate competition.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
said by bemis:

Well you know the old saying.. If you can't beat'em, Buy'em!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
said by SmokChsr:

said by bemis:

Well you know the old saying.. If you can't beat'em, Buy'em!

its the rule of the tech industry.

And if you can't buy em, sue em for a look and feel patent!
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Shady Bimmer
NOOOOOOOOOOO! I liked having a reasonably accurate forecast. Now we're just going to have more of what the corporate owners want us to hear

/M

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Shady Bimmer
Can't possibly be a good thing, likely acquiring just to KILL their biggest competition, which is very common in the corp world.

We would have had more efficient/advanced cars long ago if the auto industry hadn't long done that.
--

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to mackey
said by mackey:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! I liked having a reasonably accurate forecast. Now we're just going to have more of what the corporate owners want us to hear

/M

I could not agree more

KNYCAMPB2
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Shady Bimmer
Well, crap.

I hope they don't turn it into the mess that the Wx Channel's page has become. I like WU's radar view with storm tracks and identification of cells with accompanying information.

On the other hand, I also like the new look of the NWS pages. There are still some bugs in the form of broken links and SQL error messages, but otherwise I like the layout.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Shady Bimmer
The Weather Channel used to have weather. They have lost their way much like most every channel on TV.

I feel that Weather Underground will get changed to match the Weather Channel site. Why have two separate sites with different information? Who usually wins these things, the corporate giant or the little guy?

Just think, Al Roker pop-ups on WU giving us the forecast! They can show "Twister" and "The Day After Tomorrow" clips. Maybe there will be room for some weather somewhere in the sidebar. That will be terrific if it matches the Weather Channel.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to Shady Bimmer
How come I didn't see this? This is most def bad.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

What they said. ^^^

What he said up above.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
reply to Shady Bimmer
This will NOT be good. I HATE The Weather Channel! First of all, they're owned by NBC. Second of all, they're always pushing "Global Warming" or these days, "Climate Change" since nobody believes in global warming. Their channel/shows suck! Their website is OK, but yeah, NOT GOOD!

compugeek
Premium
join:2002-07-30
reply to Shady Bimmer
Try going to www.tvguide.com and finding the, well, TV Guide. Same thing when Comcast finishes off WU... Weather Channel is owned by NBC which is owned by Comcast and, interestingly, Bain Capital.

Geek

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Shady Bimmer
As a long time member of wunderground, I think I saw the first change that the weatherchannel/NBC did, as I got 3 emails from wunderground today (10:21am, 12:23pm, and 3:19pm) with the forcast for my town (Iowa City). Any body else get emails like this? There is a link at the bottom of each to unsubscribe.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Shady Bimmer
Weather.gov ftw

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Shady Bimmer
How does this happen anyways? It always makes me mad when good companies allow themselves to be bought out. This is like WU decided they were tired of running their site and are taking the money from the buyout and retiring.

WU will seem ok for a few months, but soon enough, TWC will kill off all the "nerdy" stuff, and it'll just be a TWC site clone.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Shady Bimmer
Weather Channel was so much BETTER in the 80s!!! ah man!!!
--
Professional student pilot!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
reply to Shady Bimmer
Well, if you're shopping for alternatives, UMICH (The genesis of wunderground) still has their famous lists;
»cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet/

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to Shady Bimmer
BOOOOOO!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

Weather Channel was so much BETTER in the 80s!!! ah man!!!

Little story about that....

My last years in College were at Lyndon State College in the NE Kingdsom of VT (coldest place long winter ever lived) was one of few let alone such a small one that had a full fledged meteorological curriculum. The head of it was up for tenure and I forget why denied much to the dismay of his students... but he promptly said FU and moved to Atlanta, and did guess what he did??? He was a Co-founder of the WX channel, at pretty much the same time Ted Turner came up with CNN end of the 70's early 80's.

For the first several years I knew every on air person on the WX Ch they were all near or classmates. They probably still pull new talent from there, as far as I know though he was denied tenure the program still exists.

Was originally a VT state teachers college but in the 70's got into specialized curriculum.... parks & rec (30+ years before the series), media communication (my field), and meteorology, as well as still liberal arts for the teachers/politicians to be.

A classmate of mine at the college FM radio station, (GM) ended up a state Rep and/or Senator. (They must know media)
--