Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

compugeek
Premium
join:2002-07-30
reply to Shady Bimmer

Re: [OT] Weather Underground being acquired by The Weather Chann

Try going to www.tvguide.com and finding the, well, TV Guide. Same thing when Comcast finishes off WU... Weather Channel is owned by NBC which is owned by Comcast and, interestingly, Bain Capital.

Geek

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Shady Bimmer
As a long time member of wunderground, I think I saw the first change that the weatherchannel/NBC did, as I got 3 emails from wunderground today (10:21am, 12:23pm, and 3:19pm) with the forcast for my town (Iowa City). Any body else get emails like this? There is a link at the bottom of each to unsubscribe.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to Shady Bimmer
Weather.gov ftw

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Shady Bimmer
How does this happen anyways? It always makes me mad when good companies allow themselves to be bought out. This is like WU decided they were tired of running their site and are taking the money from the buyout and retiring.

WU will seem ok for a few months, but soon enough, TWC will kill off all the "nerdy" stuff, and it'll just be a TWC site clone.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Shady Bimmer
Weather Channel was so much BETTER in the 80s!!! ah man!!!
--
Professional student pilot!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
reply to Shady Bimmer
Well, if you're shopping for alternatives, UMICH (The genesis of wunderground) still has their famous lists;
»cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet/

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30
reply to Shady Bimmer
BOOOOOO!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

Weather Channel was so much BETTER in the 80s!!! ah man!!!

Little story about that....

My last years in College were at Lyndon State College in the NE Kingdsom of VT (coldest place long winter ever lived) was one of few let alone such a small one that had a full fledged meteorological curriculum. The head of it was up for tenure and I forget why denied much to the dismay of his students... but he promptly said FU and moved to Atlanta, and did guess what he did??? He was a Co-founder of the WX channel, at pretty much the same time Ted Turner came up with CNN end of the 70's early 80's.

For the first several years I knew every on air person on the WX Ch they were all near or classmates. They probably still pull new talent from there, as far as I know though he was denied tenure the program still exists.

Was originally a VT state teachers college but in the 70's got into specialized curriculum.... parks & rec (30+ years before the series), media communication (my field), and meteorology, as well as still liberal arts for the teachers/politicians to be.

A classmate of mine at the college FM radio station, (GM) ended up a state Rep and/or Senator. (They must know media)
--