uniqs
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

ISurfTooMuch to amungus

to amungus

Re: good deal

Yes, but Cisco reserves the right to change the policy at any time, so they can put it back in whenever they like.

But you should worry more about this little gem: In some cases, in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting. So, essentially, Cisco is saying that the auto-update checkbox is just a request that they don't update your firmware, a request that they reserve the right to ignore.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

2 recommendations

Zach

Premium Member

Great! Now it's necessary to place a Cisco home router behind a firewall to avoid the manufacturer screwing with it.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch
But you should worry more about this little gem: “In some cases, in order to provide an optimal experience on your home network, some updates may still be automatically applied, regardless of the auto-update setting.” So, essentially, Cisco is saying that the auto-update checkbox is just a request that they don't update your firmware, a request that they reserve the right to ignore.

Microsoft does the same thing sometimes. I have my updates to ask before downloading. Once in the middle of a game my machine rebooted and applied updates. Now I block *.microsoft.com on my firewall and only allow it when I want to check myself.

Of course they do this to protect idgits from themselves (at least in their mind)