spc
uniqs

Chuck
@wideopenwest.com

Chuck to troubleagain

Anon

to troubleagain

Re: Pixilation and freezing

A huge thing I encountered with pixelation and freezing: an external DVR extender hard drive extender I had was going bad and caused rampant pixelation and unwatchable picture.
adymax
join:2012-03-14
Rolling Meadows, IL

adymax

I must say that I didn’t see any pixilation in the last week. Good job WOW!
adymax

adymax to Chuck

to Chuck

troubleagain
@wideopenwest.com

troubleagain

Anon

said by adymax:

I'm watching a lot of DVR'ed shows and it sure happens there. Two or three times and hour. Have also seen it on live TV so 10 miles west of you it is still happening.

And for WOW_Dan, my TV signal and wiring is fine. Tech confirmed it when he was out last month. He knew about the tiling and at that point said it was a Head End issue. So if it as you say that new frequencies are being used, if there's no signal issue what really is causing the tiling?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

The last of the work being done to correct this issue was completed a few weeks ago. If you're still experiencing issues, there is most likely something else going on, and it could possibly be at the node level, but I do not have your information to check anything from my side. Do you use an external hard drive with your DVR by chance?

troubleagain
@wideopenwest.com

troubleagain

Anon

said by Just_Dan:

The last of the work being done to correct this issue was completed a few weeks ago. If you're still experiencing issues, there is most likely something else going on, and it could possibly be at the node level, but I do not have your information to check anything from my side. Do you use an external hard drive with your DVR by chance?

No external hard drive. Just the 8642 and a 4250 on another TV.

I still think they need to do more work. It seems as if there are a lot of problems that have cropped up over the last few months.

Let's not forget the aspect ratio that has been wrong on numerous local channels, the latest being SD NBC (turn it on and see how the picture is elongated). WOW refuses to believe it is their issue. I spoke to engineers at WLS (where it has happened several time though not currently) and WMAQ and they assured me it is not on their end. They said WOW should be passing along the 4x3 center cut safe picture instead of downconverting the 16x9 which is what they are doing on channel 5. FOX also changed recently. It's not elongated but it is different than it was three days ago. I wish someone at WOW would understand but it seems like they have written off the SD viewer.

It's a shame because WOW used to be so good. It seems as if all the problems started with the DTA conversion (or whatever it was called) and have snowballed since.