share rss forum feed

Acct101

join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

More HD channels coming by October.

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-at···p/445439

Check out the last two post by Heather in the Verizon forum.....

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

We mentioned this when she posted that last month, but we are all skeptical.

»Re: [HD] Another QAM Bites the Dust - More Spanish MPEG-4 HD!

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to Acct101

That sounds more like a PR move than anything else. All the channels I watch we already get in HD, so I'm not really concerned about anything else being added. Anything new would be a nice bonus, but nothing I'm really excited about.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

Well it seems like, as with FSC, Verizon is being nagged to the point of action with BBC and Cartoon. It's just ridiculous that it comes to this.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Acct101

Would they be added to the Extreme HD tier or just the Ultimate HD tier? I'm still contemplating dropping to Extreme and increasing internet to 75/35. That way my price would stay the same. If I knew that BBCA-HD would be on the extreme tier I would go ahead and do it.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

said by aaronwt:

Would they be added to the Extreme HD tier or just the Ultimate HD tier? I'm still contemplating dropping to Extreme and increasing internet to 75/35. That way my price would stay the same. If I knew that BBCA-HD would be on the extreme tier I would go ahead and do it.

Wouldn't it be the same tier as the SD feeds?
Expand your moderator at work

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

3 edits
reply to Acct101

Re: More HD channels coming by October.

Good to know, but won't hold my breath, as we don't know what kind of HD channels (more spanish? more mpeg4 sports?), how many (1 or 2?), or if they're even channels anybody cares about.

Behold! The Paint Drying Channel, and Follow the Bacteria-Looking Thing In Your Eye HD!

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

said by aaronwt:

Wouldn't it be the same tier as the SD feeds?

You would think but Verizon can always change things around and only add new HD channels to the Ultimate tier.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by aaronwt:

You would think but Verizon can always change things around and only add new HD channels to the Ultimate tier.

I find it funny, people complain they want more HD, then they expect new content to be added for free.

Why add another 20 HD's, its just going to make the service more expensive. Dish Network gets this and its only way to hold down prices is packages with LESS channels, hence dropping AMC

For me, I'm headed the other way, dropped extreme for prime and only seems like I gave up velocity, so no more repeats of Mercum Auctions on the weekends

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

I don't expect it to be added entirely freely, personally. But since they did just raise prices on service and STBs (even the ancient and cheap DCT700 adapters), it's fair to expect something for it.

Steve3

join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Truthfully, I don't know what to believe anymore. We were told that we would have a big number of HD channels added by the end of last year. That didn't happen. Then, they added more HD to their Spanish language package. I don't believe their promises. Action speaks louder than words.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to Acct101

I'm curious..why is everyone so gungho on BBC America? I've never watched it so I truely do not know.

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

BBC America in the past, and perhaps present, had some interesting British imports. Haven't watched it much recently as I rarely even look to see whats on any of the SD channels.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA
reply to Acct101

5 years ago Verizon said they would have 150 HD channels by the end of the years, they forgot to mention what year. I'm still waiting.
Verizon isnt exactly truthful..about anything!

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
reply to Reyr

said by Reyr:

I'm curious..why is everyone so gungho on BBC America? I've never watched it so I truely do not know.

Everyone isn't but, just like ESPN, TNT, etc., there are some who are (including me). Take a look at the BBCA website, they have some very interesting shows (e.g. The Hour, Luther, AbFab, Top Gear) that don't appear on other channels. Granted, they also show endless reruns of shows that do appear elsewhere (e.g. Kitchen Nightmares) but that happens on most every station.

Again, perhaps not your cup of tea (!) but certainly worthy of the interest of many. After having BBCA-HD on Dish for so many years I really miss it on FIOS.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to joe01880

said by joe01880:

5 years ago Verizon said they would have 150 HD channels by the end of the years, they forgot to mention what year. I'm still waiting.
Verizon isnt exactly truthful..about anything!

I know that my TWC system had one of the community connections segments on HLN back in 2008 saying that they would have 50 HD channels by the end of that year and sure enough they did after they completed a 750MHz to 860MHz rebuild in all of the hubs in the system in December of that year. Also they said that they would get a good HD expansion in the summer of 2010 and they did with us getting HD regularly throughout that summer with SDV being implemented so we got channels in groups of 10 or so until we reached 100 HD channels and they have slowly gone up from there and last year added about 20 so HD channels be the end of fall like the CSRs said they would. So TWC in Dallas right now has 135 HD channels with two on the way to give us 137 HD channels with these being announced:

KAZD (Azteca America) HD on channel 399
PAC12 national network HD on channel 808

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to joe01880

said by joe01880:

5 years ago Verizon said they would have 150 HD channels by the end of the years

If you include local HD's they do have close to 150 channels. In NYC they have 124 national feeds and I have around 20 channels of local HD (including MSG,YES, etc).

»www.avsforum.com/t/1058081/offic···-12/0_50

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by bohratom:

said by joe01880:

5 years ago Verizon said they would have 150 HD channels by the end of the years

If you include local HD's they do have close to 150 channels. In NYC they have 124 national feeds and I have around 20 channels of local HD (including MSG,YES, etc).

As shown on the chart you linked to, Verizon offers 123 HD channels to all subscribers and makes another 41 premium HD channels available. If my math is correct, 164 is more than 150.

That doesn't include locals.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by knarf829:

As shown on the chart you linked to, Verizon offers 123 HD channels to all subscribers and makes another 41 premium HD channels available. If my math is correct, 164 is more than 150.

Missed that, thanks for pointing it out...

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to knarf829

said by knarf829:

said by bohratom:

said by joe01880:

Sorry but you are INCORRECT, the 123 HD channels INCLUDES the Premium Channels. Check the chart again and add up all the green boxes (including premiums), you get 123. So they are really only carrying 117 (excluding the 6 useless GARABGE .tv infomercial channels that 99.9% of the subscribers don't watch) plus Locals.

So really it 82 regualr channels and 41 premium channels for 123 total.
--
Verizon is becoming the new Comcast

Those .tv channels have got to go!!!!!!!!!!

knarf829

said by Strommy:

Sorry but you are INCORRECT, the 123 HD channels INCLUDES the Premium Channels.

Hot damn, you're right. Sorry about that.

Of course, it's not 123 "total" because you also get locals that aren't on the list.

joe01880

join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

2 edits
reply to knarf829

said by knarf829:

said by bohratom:

said by joe01880:

Counting what actually shows up in my STB, whether i like them or not i count 159 including Spanish speaking only channels (of no use to me). At some point i guess they did pass 150 including Spanish speaking channels.
My reference was to the claim Vz made in 06/07 in having 150 HD channels by the end of the year "then" If you got 164 good for you, i dont at leat not ones i can use... and the point was just because someone at vz says they are going to do this or do that dont hold your breath!

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to Strommy

Which is still 21 more than Comcast carries in the Philadelphia region outside of the city.

The best Comcast has is 93 networks and 9 premiums for 102, and most of the systems don't have HBO Signature HD, so make that 101.

If the city lineup comes to the suburbs, then it's a different story.

Photoman15

join:2000-06-12
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Acct101

Why BBC-A? Two Words: Doctor Who

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

said by Photoman15:

Yes that would be nice for them to add BBCA-HD. Then I wouldn't nedd to purchase the Doctor Who episodes every week from Amazon for $3 each.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Photoman15

said by Photoman15:

Top Gear is #1 for me. In the 21st century, I'm simply sick of watching SD channels. Given that I pay Verizon over $2000 a year, they should comply.

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to guppy_fish

said by guppy_fish:

said by aaronwt:

Why add another 20 HD's, its just going to make the service more expensive. Dish Network gets this and its only way to hold down prices is packages with LESS channels, hence dropping AMC

I think this is an incorrect assumption. The point is that all of the channels' contracts with Verizon ALREADY include the HD versions as part of their carriage agreements. So if we have the channel on SD (and we have quite a few SD channels that have HD simulcasts which Verizon does not carry), we are ALREADY paying for the HD version -- we're just not able to use what we're already paying for.

Now if the channel is a completely new add (the SD version didn't exist previously) then Verizon will have to pay more for it. Most of us are just looking the the HD versions of channels we already have in SD.

knarf829

said by sbernstein5:

The point is that all of the channels' contracts with Verizon ALREADY include the HD versions as part of their carriage agreements. So if we have the channel on SD (and we have quite a few SD channels that have HD simulcasts which Verizon does not carry), we are ALREADY paying for the HD version -- we're just not able to use what we're already paying for.

Would love to see a primary source for this assertion. The only specific reference to this I've ever seen was from dear, departed JeepMatt in relation to our local "The Comcast Network" (TCN).

URFloorMatt

join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Strommy

said by Strommy:

Plus the 10 new Spanish language channels, plus ESPN3D, plus your local OTA stations and regional sports networks. In the DC area, we have 17 locals and RSNs combined, so that puts our total at 151.