uniqs

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to motorola870

to motorola870

Re: More HD channels coming by October.

said by motorola870:

eliminating the SD feed is not going to gain bandwidth as they can stuff 14-15 SD channels per QAM really not much of a gain there.

Yes plus good luck getting a network to agree to drop its SD feed.

Ike1
join:2012-06-02
Brooklyn, NY

Ike1

said by Greg2600:

Yes plus good luck getting a network to agree to drop its SD feed.

Cablevision (iO) has done it -- if the channel is available in HD then you *can't* get the SD version on one of their HD boxes. The HD feeds override the SD versions automatically. But in practice, this is incredibly annoying if you have a small DVR. You can't save space by recording in SD instead of HD. (There are certain daily programs that don't really need to be seen in HD -- talk shows like the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, which doesn't have a lot of important visual elements.) This is one of main reasons I switched to FiOS.

So, I'm against getting rid of the SD feeds, unless each and every existing box is capable of automatically downgrading an HD feed to an SD-quality recording to save space (sort of like "SLP mode" on a VCR).

It's not a huge issue for me personally since I have a 7232, but I have friends who have 6416s and they save space by recording some things in SD, like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. They would NOT like to see Comedy Central SD taken away.

Now, if Verizon had plenty of 7232s to go around and wanted to give them out for no extra charge, then that would be different. Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Acct101

to Acct101
Yes, Verizon would have to institute the channel instant remapping like Cablevision does. Again, good luck on that one.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Greg2600:

Yes, Verizon would have to institute the channel instant remapping like Cablevision does. Again, good luck on that one.

That still wouldn't save space since the box just remaps it but the SD is still available for SD boxes and cable cards
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Andy from CA

Premium Member

to Andy from CA
said by Andy from CA:

said by Greg2600:

Plus, I've seen Verizon's newer small HD boxes, they are not as small as the DTA's. Not even close.

When cable was analog you got all the basic cable stations with a cable-ready TV using no box. And you could add as many TVs as you liked without upping your cable bill.

Progress happens, today's SD duplicate is yesterday's NTSC.

Yes, progress happens, but realize that when you institute changes like this, you're going to lose customers. Any business has to weigh all that when making these types of changes. If you doubt that, take a look at the write-up today that I saw on cnet, where they discussed what went wrong at Netflix last year. They employed a 'damn the torpedoes... full steam ahead!' mentality with their desire to move to the future... to institute progress. They've probably finally stopped the bleeding, but to date their stock is still 75% BELOW their pre blood-letting high.

There are just way too many customers out there who have digital adapters on secondary TVs. Hell there are still a good chunk who are SD only.

Point is - it's not just a technical decision that they're making. They have to make a business decision as well.
URFloorMatt
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

1 edit

URFloorMatt to ansky

to ansky
said by ansky:

said by Greg2600:

Mac, they would never do that for the same reason they aren't going to recall the 6000x series (in fact they're giving them out), it's too big a hit to their bottom line. Not to mention the people who have free DTA's. Plus, I've seen Verizon's newer small HD boxes, they are not as small as the DTA's. Not even close.

If the cable companies can phase out analog cable and move everyone to digital, I would think it would be a similar process to move everyone from SD to HD. The SD channels are obviously taking up a lot of bandwidth and likely hindering the ability to add new HD channels. At some point it's no longer going to make business sense to keep hanging onto an old technology.

It's a process that could take place over a couple years. Start by no longer offering SD boxes to new customers. Since SD boxes now cost the same monthly fee as HD boxes, if someone has a malfunctioning SD box, issue them a HD box instead of another SD box. I think I read a while back that they no longer issue digital adapters to some areas...

It actually makes much more sense to transition existing HD from MPEG2 to MPEG4 than drop all the SD duplicates.

There are only about 200 HD channels available, so only that many are effectively duplicates (and Verizon carries only about 2/3rds of these channels). Assume 12 SD channels per QAM (which is lowballing it), and deleting duplicates frees up 16 QAM. That's enough space for 32 MPEG2 HD channels.

Conversely, assume 200 HD channels in MPEG2. That requires 100 QAM. Convert to MPEG4 and now it only requires (conservatively speaking) 50 QAM. You've freed up 50 QAM. Which will allow you to carry another 200 MPEG4 HD channels. That is, for all intents and purposes, a future-proof distribution method.

Verizon's strategy, as we can already see, is to provide new HD channels in MPEG4, and offer box upgrades to those who need them. This is the most prudent course. This allows for a natural transition away from the remaining MPEG2-only STBs in the field, and will at some point make it feasible to do a reclamation on the remaining boxes, and a full transition to MPEG4.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Acct101

to Acct101
And then we're back to square one, which is why aren't they moving MPEG2 to 4????

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to URFloorMatt

to URFloorMatt
said by URFloorMatt:

It actually makes much more sense to transition existing HD from MPEG2 to MPEG4 than drop all the SD duplicates.

There are only about 200 HD channels available, so only that many are effectively duplicates (and Verizon carries only about 2/3rds of these channels). Assume 12 SD channels per QAM (which is lowballing it), and deleting duplicates frees up 16 QAM. That's enough space for 8 MPEG2 HD channels.

Conversely, assume 200 HD channels in MPEG2. That requires 100 QAM. Convert to MPEG4 and now it only requires (conservatively speaking) 50 QAM. You've freed up 50 QAM. Which will allow you to carry another 200 MPEG4 HD channels. That is, for all intents and purposes, a future-proof distribution method.

Verizon's strategy, as we can already see, is to provide new HD channels in MPEG4, and offer box upgrades to those who need them. This is the most prudent course. This allows for a natural transition away from the remaining MPEG2-only STBs in the field, and will at some point make it feasible to do a reclamation on the remaining boxes, and a full transition to MPEG4.

Someone hit the nail on the head...

By the time VZ needs even more space after moving all the MPEG-2 HD channels over to MPEG-4 (those natively broadcasted in MPEG-4) I wonder if IPTV would be ready...

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to Acct101

to Acct101
At the very least all channels delivered to FiOS in MPEG4 should be delivered to customers in MPEG4.
To not do this because they want to save money by keeping older MPEG2 only STBs in use is counter productive.
How many customers are eventually going to switch to another provider because of the lack of new HD channels added?

It may not be that simple but to me the Verizon plan is either,
keep old STBs, slowly covert channels to MPEG4, add a small amount of HD channels and lose customers or convert channels to MPEG4, replace older STBs, add more HD channels sooner and keep customers.

FiOS can't keep running ads talking about the old cable technology when FiOS continues to deliver customers old set top boxes with no support for the newer MPEG4 video or a 16:9 guide.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to URFloorMatt

to URFloorMatt
Math correction: 16 QAMs would enable 32 MPEG2 HD channels.

But I still agree with the point, dumping SD channels is a nonstarter. Phasing out old HD boxes makes the most sense so we can get on the MPEG4 train, and it'd last for years.

I wonder though, if they're dragging their feet in part because they have those new whole-home boxes in the works, and avoiding deployment of more costly 7xxx's than necessary?

I don't know. I don't get it, and they refuse to answer questions when we ask.
URFloorMatt
Arlington, VA

URFloorMatt to Greg2600

to Greg2600
Thanks for the math correction. Edited my post to reflect the right numbers for future reference.
said by Greg2600:

And then we're back to square one, which is why aren't they moving MPEG2 to 4????

Because there are 6 series STBs out there that can't run MPEG4. So, like I said, the strategy appears to be to offer new channels in MPEG4 in the short term so the transition can occur without a massive reclamation effort or a service interruption.

As others have noted, future STB technology will allow Verizon to significantly reduce the burden of multiple STBs per home, so I doubt they are planning to make a big push for MPEG4 until more palatable options are on the table.

If anything, I could see them moving the premiums to MPEG4, since the reclamation effort required would be limited.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Acct101

to Acct101
Verizon are YEARS away from migrating away from STB's.
xocsucram
join:2008-10-02

xocsucram

still waiting on BBC America in HD, altho its really just for the Top Gear episodes i dont watch anything else on the channel so its not a major issue.

all the stuff i do watch is already in HD

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to joe01880

to joe01880
said by joe01880:

You assume everyone in the FiOS footprint has an HD tv

Not at all. HD boxes can serve SD televisions perfectly well.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101
My brother used a couple of HD DVRs for years on Comcast before he got an HD Set to display the recorded HD content. He wanted the larger hard drives for the extra storage space.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to wmcbrine

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

Not really. I have a TV under my kitchen cabinets. There is no room for one of their HD boxes, only the Dct700 fits. Unfortunately I don't think any equipment provider makes a box near to that size. In addition, back to square one, because Verizon would be forced to send out new HD boxes in place of many SD boxes that customers currently get free. You'd be amazed how many times I walk into a local business and see a TV on the wall with a DCT700 velcro'd to the side. Then you have the Frontier areas, which Verizon has to take into account when making changes. Just seems like Verizon is too much of a bohemoth to do anything.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

What do you mean by the statement 'Verizon has to take into account for Frontier areas'? All decisions since the Frontier sale only impact Verizon - Frontier is their own company now.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Acct101

to Acct101
Doesn't the feed come from Verizon? Or is Frontier in command of getting its own channels? If it's from Verizon, they can't just cut off SD channels without Frontier also replacing SD boxes.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

The Verizon VHOs 10 (IN), 12 (OR) and 13 (WA) were sold to Frontier. Does the Verizon SHE still feed them too? Even if it does, Verizon could stop providing SD feeds to it's own VHOs if it moved to HD only but continue to provide the Frontier VHOs with an SD feed via the backbone network.

FullOpinions
@comcast.net

FullOpinions to Greg2600

Anon

to Greg2600
I'm confused, everyone saying that Verizon won't switch to MPEG4 because it will require killing all of the 6xxx line boxes, but this can be alleviated by the use of channel packages that already exist. What's the difference if I don't get the Food Network because my package is X rather then Y, the channel comes up with a to order call 800-555-1234 message. I don't get the channel, why do I care if it's MPEG2 VS 4? If I want the channel I order it and Verizon swaps out the box for ME, and I pay additionally for the extra channels because of the package I subscribe too. My dad doesn't care about this package vs that package, he just watches the basic channels and none of the premium ones, people like that get the 6xxx series box and the channels that they can't get move to MPEG4 with the other more expensive plans. How many of our senior citizens are really using all of the premium channels? Give the people with basic plans the 6xxx series (I'm sure there is plenty of them) and the people that order Extreme/Ultimate HD TV the better boxes with the ability to watch MPEG4.

How is this NOT a win-win? It's bad enough that we have to pay a fee to watch per TV now where before the basic channels pop up on a regular TV without a box, but now we keep getting less and less and paying more and more. If our bill is going to keep rising, they should be providing MORE HD content, and using more common sense, with the extra money they get from us!
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

said by wmcbrine:

Not really. I have a TV under my kitchen cabinets. There is no room for one of their HD boxes, only the Dct700 fits.

The other day I went to the grocery store and picked up a bottle of orange juice. Apparently they changed the size and shape of the bottle so that it no longer fits into the usual spot in my fridge. So I moved it to a different spot. You have to adapt. You can't expect Verizon to keep supporting a particular receiver because nothing else will fit.
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly

said by ansky:

said by Greg2600:

said by wmcbrine:

Not really. I have a TV under my kitchen cabinets. There is no room for one of their HD boxes, only the Dct700 fits.

The other day I went to the grocery store and picked up a bottle of orange juice. Apparently they changed the size and shape of the bottle so that it no longer fits into the usual spot in my fridge. So I moved it to a different spot. You have to adapt. You can't expect Verizon to keep supporting a particular receiver because nothing else will fit.

Yup and also those orange juice bottles are getting smaller. Off topic but they really are

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to Greg2600

MVM

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Doesn't the feed come from Verizon? Or is Frontier in command of getting its own channels? If it's from Verizon, they can't just cut off SD channels without Frontier also replacing SD boxes.

Nope. Once Verizon sold off the properties to Frontier, all those customers began getting feeds from Frontier's SHE(s) and VHO's. Verizon has not provided any programming or network support to Frontier after the original transition period ended.
URFloorMatt
Arlington, VA

URFloorMatt to wmcbrine

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

said by joe01880:

In fact, at this point, Verizon only offers HD capable boxes to new customers.

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

2 edits

joe01880

said by URFloorMatt:

said by wmcbrine:

said by joe01880:

In fact, at this point, Verizon only offers HD capable boxes to new customers.

You make it sound like HD is the only thing those HD boxes are capable of showing.They also show SD channels and there are still lots of folks who dont have HDTV's so verizon is not goiong to be able to force feed HD only programing. Never mind the networks not standing for it, the customer base wont stand for it and im not sure but the FCC might have a part in there someplace.
MacAlert
join:2005-03-16
Flushing, NY

MacAlert

said by joe01880:

So your telling me verizon is tunring away business and or forcing people buy expensive HDTV's?

Never mind, you edited your post as I was typing.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to joe01880

to joe01880
said by joe01880:

You make it sound like HD is the only thing those HD boxes are capable of showing.They also show SD channels and there are still lots of folks who dont have HDTV's so verizon is not goiong to be able to force feed HD only programing. Never mind the networks not standing for it, the customer base wont stand for it and im not sure but the FCC might have a part in there someplace.

The HD STBs output SD versions of the HD channels via composite and RF output, applicable to SD TVs. So this would not be HD only programming. Never was and never will be. Your basic assumption that switching to all HD feeds means no SD capability is in error.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to joe01880

to joe01880
said by joe01880:

The HD boxes also can down convert HD signals to SD, so that a user can watch HD only Channels on their SD sets. Or the HD version of a HD channel with both hd and SD on their SD set.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Frontier, all those customers began getting feeds from Frontier's SHE(s) and VHO's. Verizon has not provided any programming or network support to Frontier after the original transition period ended.

People I know within Frontier (former Verizon) tell me they will be bankrupt within 2 years. Supply and demand along with price just not matching up...

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

joe01880 to tnsprin

to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

said by joe01880:

The HD boxes also can down convert HD signals to SD, so that a user can watch HD only Channels on their SD sets. Or the HD version of a HD channel with both hd and SD on their SD set.

and is the 16:9 HD feed being forced into a 4:3 SD TV screen now just a smaller box in the middle of the screen or does the 16:9 HD feed fill the entire screen? Or does it now have bars at the top and bottom, im sure you see my point.
Why should people with SD only TV's have to pay a price because some want HD only channels to save QAM space to add more HD channels?
If there is no change in picture size feeding a 16:9 HD feed in to a 4:3 SDTV i withdraw my objection.

For that matter. my sister and mother-in-law both only have SD TV's and Cisco HD NON DVR Boxes. The one thing i can say is the guide on both TV's, one in MD and one in MA looks terrible. I have not tried to tune a HD channel on either of those SD TV's but will put it to the test just to see for myself what the picture does with regards to size.