Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to donoreo

Re: [Rant] My A/C has died

said by donoreo:

"He's dead, Jim"

The compressor is gone.

Hmm.. that's probably the case, I obviously have no reason to second-guess their diagnosis. But ironically, I was going to post earlier to be careful about shady repair types. I had a few of those crooks around in the old house when it still had the old water-cooled unit which failed more or less like clockwork every year! Finally got rid of it and got a nice Carrier unit that worked great all the rest of the time I was there. But one thing I learned is to be careful who you use for repair services. Unfortunately I'm damned if I know how you can really confirm that it's the compressor. I probably shouldn't be putting paranoid ideas into your head but somehow A/C repair types in my experience have always been the worst. If anything happened to mine I would probably want to use the original installer or at least a trusted authorized service outfit.
--
"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do." --Wendell Berry

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Styvas
said by Styvas:

said by donoreo:

"He's dead, Jim"

The compressor is gone. They said that they have replaced 4 of these same ones in my neighbourhood themselves.

They can install a KeepRite unit on Thursday for a little over $3000.

I am doing research on it. 10 Year parts warranty, 10 year compressor warranty 1 year replacement warranty and they give 1 year on labour.

We had a 2-ton, 16 SEER KeepRite installed on Thursday for $2,200. 10 year warranty on parts, 10 years on compressor, and 1 year on labour. So far it's working well through this heat wave. As I understand it, if you are replacing an existing unit with a more efficient unit, you're eligible for $400 back from the Province.

That is a better price than he is giving me for a SEER 13.

Damn, I hate researching crap like this. Does that installer do Toronto? PM me is you want.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
PM sent.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

"He's dead, Jim"

The compressor is gone. They said that they have replaced 4 of these same ones in my neighbourhood themselves.

They can install a KeepRite unit on Thursday for a little over $3000.

I am doing research on it. 10 Year parts warranty, 10 year compressor warranty 1 year replacement warranty and they give 1 year on labour.

Happens. The signs are there, to be sure. I have a KeepRite. Good middle of the road brand.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to donoreo
I have a ten year old Keeprite and it's been very efficient and reliable.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Airmakers gave me a good price on a higher model, still a Keeprite, and can install tomorrow morning. They are going to drop by this afternoon for a site check.

I checked them on Homestars and they got a 9.9 review.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Have them take Dalton's rebate off the top.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

We are going to discuss cash prices.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Cash is always good, as long as there's still a warranty.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Cash is always good, as long as there's still a warranty.

Got a cash deal, they will be here tomorrow morning.
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by donoreo:

Got a cash deal, they will be here tomorrow morning.

So will Herr Hapler's tax collectors.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to zacron
said by zacron:

I don't beleive that... Check the capcitor, what exactly died? How long did it run with the damage done?

Z

As per the OP, it could have in theory run (or tried to run) for 71 hours...

OP comment: ( because I'm too lazy to quote properly)
While I was away over the long weekend. I got home last night to find the house boiling. The outside unit was not working and I could see and oily substance on it.

If the oil leaked out it wouldn't surprise me that the compressor seized up...

Hope things roll better for you don .

Thankfully I haven't had that issue with the houses I've purchased, they have central AC and they've worked...currently in an apartment and...I miss it...due to weird configuration of windows I'd have to get a portable AC and I've heard from here and others that they're just not worth it, so I sweat .

Hope you and your family get cool soon!

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to donoreo
Our central a/c unit is pushing 20 years old. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it gets us through this season!
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to donoreo
Hope your install goes well -- it will be hot today but according to my weather app it's going to hit 35 on Friday!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
I hope so too. They are supposed to be here by 10. I am not sure how long it wil take, probably a couple of hours.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
My installation was almost the whole day but we were replacing an ancient water cooled unit which is more work. The water cooled one was about twenty years old and still working but $400 for two months of water made it crazy to keep.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
That's exactly what they had to do when mine was installed. IIRC it took about half a day or more mainly because of the existing water-cooled POS. New evaporator coil or whatever it's called in the furnace, hole drilled in basement wall for pipes to be run outside, electrical & switchbox installed, etc. It was even more work than installing a new A/C because they also had to cut water pipes and haul the old unit out of the basement.

In my case the water-cooled unit was needing repairs almost every year and around the third summer that it quit was the last time! I was glad to never have to see that thing again. Strangely enough the compressor worked fine to the end, it was always other things that were screwing up.
--
"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do." --Wendell Berry

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
Mine should not be that long. The holes are there, the power is there (and done correctly since we moved the outside unit a few years ago they corrected the install the builders had done originally). They will run new lines out to the new unit, barely 1o feet, and install a new condensor in the furnace. They do have to remove the exhaust lines for the furnace to do that, but that is not much work.
--

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to donoreo
Sounds very similar to the re & re at my place... About 3 hours to remove the old one, replace about 12' of lines, new coil and condenser, reusing existing holes and electric...

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
Our brand new install (no existing holes, lines or electrical) still took only 2 hours or so. It was really painless. I was surprised.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

... and install a new condensor in the furnace.

Not to be a nitpicky dweeb, but isn't the correct nomenclature for the thing that sits outside with the compressor the "condenser", and the thing that sits in the furnace and makes nice cold the "evaporator"? When a refrigerant is compressed and condenses into liquid it gets hot, and when a liquid evaporates or a gas expands it gets cold.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
They will not be able to make it until this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon's job went long and had to be finished this morning. I have to go into work to do some things that cannot be done on the VPN, so they are going to be here at 3.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
As long as you have A/C for bedtime, that's all that matters.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House Net..
said by Mike2009:

Without a doubt, tomorrow will be the worse of the two days though. But it doesn't take long to install AC, especially with everything already in place. My buddy's father used to work for Scott Fuels here in Woodstock, and could drop in a AC unit in about 1hr if everything was already in place. 2hrs if it was a clean install. So I wouldn't worry as long as they show up today.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Our central a/c unit is pushing 20 years old. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it gets us through this season!

20YRS! I'm impressed, I don't see them lasting that long anymore.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to donoreo
EC is now agreeing with my AccuWeather app -- 35 on Friday. Looks like that will be the peak of this particular heat wave.

bbvax

join:2006-08-01
St Catharines, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by mr weather:

I have a unit that has to be at least that old as well.

The only thing I have had to do with it in the last 10 years is replace the fan motor (which I did myself). The original motor was one that needed oiling every year so it was a pain. The new one is a sealed bearing so no maintenance needed.

There is a house a few doors down that has the same unit and it is also still working.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

It may be ready by the evening but it will take 12-24 hrs to bring it down to temp.

Did an install many years for my mother-in-law, of course it was the hottest day of the year. The A/C staid on for 24 hrs before it was finally down the selected temp.

Good Luck

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by joeblow3:

said by Mike2009:

It may be ready by the evening but it will take 12-24 hrs to bring it down to temp.

Did an install many years for my mother-in-law, of course it was the hottest day of the year. The A/C staid on for 24 hrs before it was finally down the selected temp.

Good Luck

My old AC would never shut off. I close all the vents on the main floor. If not, two floors above in our bedroom it will be 10 degrees hotter.
--