share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Cisco Cloud is just the first - other router vendors also

This is a watershed moment...sort of like with Windows 8 where if you don't want it you better buy a Win 7 computer before Win 8 is released (Win 7 is supported by Microsoft until 2020 so no worries there). It is the same with routers now...you don't want the cloud then you better buy a new router now before the other router vendors have THEIR cloud routers available for purchase. Cisco just happened to be the first but this is where they are all headed.

I have zero interest in using my cloud router while away from home to check on my refrigerator or turn on a lamp, etc. I just want my router to be a router and manage my little home computing network. I currently have an ancient Linksy router that will be nine years old in November. I was planning on buying a E series Linksy whenever my ISP bothers to get with IPv6 but the one I bookmarked to purchase is the older model and Cisco is now selling the new EA series that are the cloud models which I don't want.

Do these EA series allow for third party firmware? If not, guess I will ask SamKnows if I can flash the original firmware on the Netgear they sent me and use it as SK later sent me a TP-Link which I use for their tests and said they didn't want the Netgear back. I happen to prefer Linksy though over all other vendors because they have one setting in all their routers that other vendors don't and I want that setting...it matters to me, whereas, the cloud and apps so I can turn on the heat as I leave for home ....nope, don't care about that crap at all.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Hedwig Kotov

@reserver.ru
said by Mele20:

This is a watershed moment...sort of like with Windows 8 where if you don't want it you better buy a Win 7 computer before Win 8 is released (Win 7 is supported by Microsoft until 2020 so no worries there). It is the same with routers now...you don't want the cloud then you better buy a new router now before the other router vendors have THEIR cloud routers available for purchase. Cisco just happened to be the first but this is where they are all headed.

I have zero interest in using my cloud router while away from home to check on my refrigerator or turn on a lamp, etc. I just want my router to be a router and manage my little home computing network. I currently have an ancient Linksy router that will be nine years old in November. I was planning on buying a E series Linksy whenever my ISP bothers to get with IPv6 but the one I bookmarked to purchase is the older model and Cisco is now selling the new EA series that are the cloud models which I don't want.

Do these EA series allow for third party firmware? If not, guess I will ask SamKnows if I can flash the original firmware on the Netgear they sent me and use it as SK later sent me a TP-Link which I use for their tests and said they didn't want the Netgear back. I happen to prefer Linksy though over all other vendors because they have one setting in all their routers that other vendors don't and I want that setting...it matters to me, whereas, the cloud and apps so I can turn on the heat as I leave for home ....nope, don't care about that crap at all.

A few things here.. What does Windows 8 have to do with buying a new computer? Doesn't everyone wipe the crappy bloated pre-installed OS's anyway and put on what they want without the bloat? I don't see how a computer purchase is at all relevant to what OS is being pushed.

Second, you do know IPv6 makes it exceptionally easy to spy on people, right? Are you SURE you want a IPv6 enabled device, which essentially identifies you with a permanent ID on the internet locked into each device? Everyone I know serious about privacy has IPv6 disabled in their OS, and doesn't use IPv6 devices unless the IPv6 can be disabled.. Seriously I thought you were into this privacy stuff?

Anyone with half a brain either uses legacy higher end consumer stuff like SMC Barricades. End-of-Life former Enterprise stuff (Juniper 5GT, SonicWALL, Watchguards for dirt cheap, or Linux Firewalls. Only newbs use consumer grade rubbish, especially from Cisco which has a history of hideous activities..

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

OEMs generally don't bloat the computers now as they did a few years ago. (Dell installs McAfee or Trend Micro but nothing else that is bloat). You buy from an OEM you can't remove the OS. Why would you want to anyway? You paid for it. I don't pay for things I don't intend to use. Besides, when you need to invoke your warranty (I always buy 5 years of warranty because it is well worth it as motherboards will probably die at least once during that period as well as CDRom drives, etc but mobos are the big thing). If you buy warranty then you have to reinstall the OS that came on the computer if you want to invoke the warranty. Why in the world would I pay for Windows 8 and then go and buy Windows 7 install it ...all that hassle and the bloated fee that Microsoft charges for Win 7 Pro...then need hardware warranty invoked and have to uninstall Win 7 and install Win 8? Besides, with OEMs now, even Dell, which was the last holdout, you don't get a Reinstallation disk and cannot order one for a fee...unless you are a corporate customer. Even Small Business customers no longer get reinstallation disks. You are stuck with what comes on the computer.

Of course, I want a router that is IPv6 aware. You like limiting yourself to IPv4 only websites? Most users already have "permanent" IP addresses. If you have cable modem and never shut down your computer, you will rarely, if ever, get a different IP address. I am a panelist for the FCC broadband tests for over one and one-half years now. I have a router from SamKnows that runs their tests every hour. I don't feel that my privacy is invaded because I chose to participate in this testing.

Linksy was not always Cisco. My Linksy router is ancient and was bought from Linksy not Cisco almost nine years ago. As for Cisco, gee, my ISP uses Cisco CMTS, routers, etc. According to your reasoning I should drop my ISP for privacy reasons and because Cisco may or may not have aided the Chinese regarding political surveillance of their citizens. So, how would you suggest I connect to the internet?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson