Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Paralipsis

Re: [Internet] DOCSIS 3.0

Congratulations on being allowed to use your own D3 Cable Modem on your Turbo Plan With the D3 Channel Bonding you will notice Better Speeds and over all stability compared to BH provided D2 Modems for Turbo Plans and below. Some Might Argue That you get the same speeds weather you use D2 Modem or D3 Modem. In my opinion the channel Bonding lets your "Turbo Boost - a short burst of speed" really shine Alot of D3 Modems use Gigabit LAN Ethernet Ports that helps gets those snappier speeds. Long Live DOCSIS 3.0
--
Bakersfield Region Taft CA Brighthouse Customer Since 2003

scanman1

join:2010-11-25

4 edits
said by Guide_Tim:

Congratulations on being allowed to use your own D3 Cable Modem on your Turbo Plan With the D3 Channel Bonding you will notice Better Speeds and over all stability compared to BH provided D2 Modems for Turbo Plans and below. Some Might Argue That you get the same speeds weather you use D2 Modem or D3 Modem. In my opinion the channel Bonding lets your "Turbo Boost - a short burst of speed" really shine Alot of D3 Modems use Gigabit LAN Ethernet Ports that helps gets those snappier speeds. Long Live DOCSIS 3.0

With the channel bonding, I do think that I have faster speeds with the MaxTrafficBurst setting that they have provisioned me with.

Yet, if there is no congestion on the single channel that the D2 modem was using, this would not hold true.

Snippet from the top of my actual current running config file:

quote:
NetworkAccess 1;
UsServiceFlow
{
UsServiceFlowRef 1;
QosParamSetType 7;
SchedulingType 2;
MaxRateSustained 2150400;
MaxTrafficBurst 3044;
MaxConcatenatedBurst 3044;
IpTosOverwrite 0x0000;
}
DsServiceFlow
{
DsServiceFlowRef 5;
QosParamSetType 7;
MaxRateSustained 21504000;
MaxTrafficBurst 10000000;
GenericTLV TlvCode 27 TlvLength 4 TlvValue 0x01e00000;
}

When Turbo boost is active, the configuration is EXACTLY:
Down Speed = 31504000 (31.5 Mbps)
Up Speed = 2153444 (2.15 Mbps)

So BH is giving a bit extra for overhead. Nice of them to do that.

The real question in the back of my mind is why the lightning package is not available to user owned modems, if the modem is D3 capable and the channels are already bonded.

All it takes is for BH to modify the values in the config file that is sent to that modem type from the CMTS.

Either they support the modem, or they do not. There is no middle ground.
When a customer provided modem is brought onto the network, the ISP immediately TFTP flashes a firmware that they have tested with the CMTS that they are using.