Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Re: [Software] Visual Studio 2010

Still kicking this around...

The whitepaper at »www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=13350 details the per-user model pretty clearly..
said by page 16 :

For Visual Studio 2010 individual development tools (including those that are MSDN subscriptions), all of the following requirements apply to both the Visual Studio software and other software provided via MSDN—collectively called the “MSDN software” in this document.

(emphasis mine)
On that same page...

Any team member can install and use MSDN software on as many devices as they like. The license does not restrict where the device is located (at work, at home, at school, at a customer’s office, etc.). However, each user of that MSDN software must have an appropriate MSDN subscription.

(emphasis mine)

Does the second paragraph say "you can do it, so long as you're paying for a MSDN sub" or does it say "you can do it with the license for VS2010, but not the 'free' MSDN software unless you have a paying MSDN sub"?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

You can install the free MSDN components on as many test machines as you want strictly for development and testing purposes only provided the user of that/those machines is covered by their own MSDN license (exception is Office, which the licensed user may install on a single machine for *any* use, not only dev; any additional installs are for dev/test only. This differs from the standard Office license that allows the user to install on a desktop and a laptop provided they are never used concurrently by different people.)

So, let's say you work for my company. We have 2 MSDN subs, 1 for each of us. Both of us have installed them on our machines and a few other real and virtual machines. Either of us can use any or all of those installs because each of us has a license. Along comes another guy who brings his own laptop but only has a standalone VS Pro license (no MSDN sub). He may use the same version of VS and MSDN components the standalone might install on our machines, but he may not use *any* of the components provided by MSDN that are not included in a standalone VS install, nor can our copies of MSDN be installed on his machine since we don't have a license for him. Now, if one of us left the company, that freed-up license can be reallocated to the other guy and he could the use the MSDN-specific stuff.