share rss forum feed

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to MeatChicken

Re: [HD] NY 55/10 HD channel 510

It doesn't look like it is getting added to VHO7.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

This is so goofy, FiOS has no problem carrying the WLNY SD feed in NJ but will not add the HD feed while just about every cable provider in Northern NJ has added WLNY HD.

skohly

join:2009-08-19

said by icemannyr1:

This is so goofy, FiOS has no problem carrying the WLNY SD feed in NJ but will not add the HD feed while just about every cable provider in Northern NJ has added WLNY HD.

Agreed!! Who can we talk to at Verizon?

icemannyr1

reply to FIOS4cable

I had an e-mail contact with someone in programming for the NYC area but unfortunately it seems they are no longer with FiOS.
She had helped get NJN HD, now NJTV HD added to VHO7.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

I really don't get Verizon's rationale for not carrying it in NJ. Is it a bandwidth issue? A cost issue? Doesn't make sense...

WLNY is an odd station though. If you look at the Cablevision channel lineups for Hudson County and Newark, they don't carry WLNY at all, not even SD. But Cablevision in places like Morris County and Passaic county have WLNY-HD. I know Comcast in Jersey City doesn't carry WLNY at all.

For what it's worth, I sent an email yesterday to stationservices@cbs2ny.com which is posted on the WLNY website. No response as of yet.

skohly

said by Mac973:

I really don't get Verizon's rationale for not carrying it in NJ. Is it a bandwidth issue? A cost issue? Doesn't make sense...

WLNY is an odd station though. If you look at the Cablevision channel lineups for Hudson County and Newark, they don't carry WLNY at all, not even SD. But Cablevision in places like Morris County and Passaic county have WLNY-HD. I know Comcast in Jersey City doesn't carry WLNY at all.

For what it's worth, I sent an email yesterday to stationservices@cbs2ny.com which is posted on the WLNY website. No response as of yet.

I sent an email to that address myself this morning and also nada back

icemannyr1

Here's the response from WLNY on Facebook/
"we were told that it would be mid July...so HOPEFULLY this week or next! We're as anxious about this as you!"

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

said by icemannyr1:

"we were told that it would be mid July...so HOPEFULLY this week or next! We're as anxious about this as you!"

I saw that too. It seems they usually add new channels on Tuesdays, so maybe we'll see it next Tuesday 7/17.

skohly

said by Mac973:

said by icemannyr1:

I saw that too. It seems they usually add new channels on Tuesdays, so maybe we'll see it next Tuesday 7/17.

Well here we are on Tuesday July 17 and still nada. Also those olympic channels are friends in NY were talken yesterday still not here either.

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

said by skohly:

Well here we are on Tuesday July 17 and still nada. Also those olympic channels are friends in NY were talken yesterday still not here either.

Yeah, I wonder if there is some technical issue going on in VHO7 that is causing a delay in channels being added. WLNY-HD was added in VHO5 two weeks ago, so there isn't really any other reason they would just be sitting there waiting. Unfortunately there isn't anyone "in the know" here to provide any insight.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to skohly

said by skohly:

Also those olympic channels are friends in NY were talken yesterday still not here either.

Umm, The Olymics do not start for another 11 days so I do not think we (VHO7) are missing anything.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10

said by bohratom:

said by skohly:

Also those olympic channels are friends in NY were talken yesterday still not here either.

Umm, The Olymics do not start for another 11 days so I do not think we (VHO7) are missing anything.

The olympic sched says events start 7/25 so thats 8 days.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by dcowboy:

The olympic sched says events start 7/25 so thats 8 days.

Ok thanks for that, I was mistaken. People will not not miss anything for another 8 days...

skohly

reply to Mac973

said by Mac973:

said by skohly:

Yeah, I wonder if there is some technical issue going on in VHO7 that is causing a delay in channels being added. WLNY-HD was added in VHO5 two weeks ago, so there isn't really any other reason they would just be sitting there waiting. Unfortunately there isn't anyone "in the know" here to provide any insight.

We got the Olympic channels but still no NY55/10 in HD. I wonder what the problem is?

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2

said by skohly:

We got the Olympic channels but still no NY55/10 in HD. I wonder what the problem is?

limited space in the locals QAM block at the VHO?

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

I'm not on Facebook .. but someone here w/ access to friendbook hit up WLNY again, & ask/see if they can get an answer from Fios ....

skohly

reply to tennisman94

Still not here in VHO7 and today is tuesday, the usual day that add things?. Makes no sense why they won't add it

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

said by skohly:

Still not here in VHO7 and today is tuesday, the usual day that add things?. Makes no sense why they won't add it

In the end, do you really care? This channel is really lame. I haven't found any reason to tune to it yet.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

And as others have noted, the WLNY logo is way too prominent on the screen - way too distracting.

skohly

reply to sbernstein5

said by sbernstein5:

said by skohly:

In the end, do you really care? This channel is really lame. I haven't found any reason to tune to it yet.

Yes- the 9:00PM newscast produced by CH2. It's excellent.

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

said by skohly:

said by sbernstein5:

said by skohly:

Yes- the 9:00PM newscast produced by CH2. It's excellent.

Yeah the 9pm newscast is really the only thing on WLNY worth watching (the rest of the schedule is mostly lousy court shows). There is a morning news show too but I haven't really checked that out yet. I'm not a big fan of CBS's news in general (I usually watch NBC or ABC), but sometimes 9pm is the only convenient time to watch the news for me.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

Rather get WCBS2+, at least it would be something different. VH07 is NJ, we don't go near Long Island!

skohly

said by Greg2600:

Rather get WCBS2+, at least it would be something different. VH07 is NJ, we don't go near Long Island!

They are no longer pushing this as a LI station but now a tri-state station since CBS took over.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

The 2.2 subchannel, "CBS New York Plus," is 480i, so it wouldn't take up much bandwidth. They could add that plus WLNY HD and still have plenty of room left over in the local-channel bandwidth, which is separate from the bandwidth allocated to national channels, as others have pointed out. Mercer County gets 19 HD locals, so presumably we've got lots of room. So why not add it? What else is there? There's no other broadcast HD channel they could add, is there?

Also, WLNY used to have a low-power Morristown repeater, which might be one of the reasons why a lot (though not all) cable systems carry it in northern NJ even though its city of license is way out on eastern Long Island. So, WLNY used to have some roots in VHO7. However, the repeater was not sold to CBS along with WLNY.

icemannyr1

There should be no additional bandwidth needed for sub channels of the local broadcast channels as they are included in the feeds given to FiOS.
FiOS is getting 2.2 CBS+ NY from WCBS-DT, for whatever reason they are choosing to not add it to the NYC area VHOs.

skohly

said by icemannyr1:

There should be no additional bandwidth needed for sub channels of the local broadcast channels as they are included in the feeds given to FiOS.
FiOS is getting 2.2 CBS+ NY from WCBS-DT, for whatever reason they are choosing to not add it to the NYC area VHOs.

What kind of programming is 2.2 have?

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

said by skohly:

said by icemannyr1:

What kind of programming is 2.2 have?

WCBS 2.2 really isn't that great. They just repeat newscasts over and over all day. It's no loss that Verizon doesn't carry it.

MeatChicken

join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ
reply to FIOS4cable

Has anyone re-hit WLNY about this on Facebook?

Mac973

West Orange, NJ

said by MeatChicken:

Yeah I checked earlier and somebody asked/posted on July 25th, but there was no response from WLNY. My guess is they won't comment since they probably had incorrect information last time when they said "mid July".

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
reply to MeatChicken

said by MeatChicken:

Considering the only ones who care are the 5 in this thread, I dont think so..... (JK)