how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada

[TV] How does Bell Fibe not account to Bandwidth ?

I'm just wondering how does Bell Fibe is seperated from the internet usage.
Is it a different login and password on the Sagecom modem?

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

It's a different login & password, and it's also on a different VLAN.

TilhasBB
Premium
canada

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmmm, so the username and password for FibeTV is what opens up which channels are available?

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

No; the username and password are just the DSL logins. The channel availability is based on the unique identifiers of the CPE which Bell (obviously) knows.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to TilhasBB

Yes there is a different login and password for the TV vlan signal and it takes the form of this: bell/xxxxxxxx/@iptv. The user ID is put in by the "walled garden" when you log in with your dsl login.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
reply to TilhasBB

Once the 7330's (newer slams) go live for TV(which they apparently just did) the TV login will not be needed, but this won't affect you since you're on an oslam

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

If the TV login isn't needed on 7330, how does it work?

kovy

join:2009-03-26
reply to ruggs

said by ruggs:

Once the 7330's (newer slams) go live for TV(which they apparently just did) the TV login will not be needed, but this won't affect you since you're on an oslam

I think you're talking about FTTH and not FTTN...

ruggs

Ontario

nope, but in FTTH that's what they do too

ruggs

Ontario
reply to BliZZardX

said by BliZZardX:

If the TV login isn't needed on 7330, how does it work?

In the router in advanced settings under services, its set to dhcp rather than pppoe

kovy

join:2009-03-26
reply to ruggs

said by ruggs:

nope, but in FTTH that's what they do too

I guess that could be right... haven't really check out what's going with FibeTV.

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to ruggs

What is the advantage of doing it that way?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

said by TilhasBB:

PPPoE requires a lot of horsepower at the BRAS side, and also prevents Bell from using multicast, as every video session becomes a separate unicast stream.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

ruggs

Ontario

said by HeadSpinning:

said by TilhasBB:

PPPoE requires a lot of horsepower at the BRAS side, and also prevents Bell from using multicast, as every video session becomes a separate unicast stream.

Just like he said, IPoE or DHCP makes things easier for the video side of things.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON

That's interesting, do you know how they perform client authentication for this new DHCP IPTV? Is it option 82?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5

said by BliZZardX:

That's interesting, do you know how they perform client authentication for this new DHCP IPTV? Is it option 82?

Exactly - based on the modem MAC address.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

Maybe the Sagemcom VLAN36 interface MAC address? If it's just that then thankfully my router lets me change the MAC.

If you have a transparent bridge setup like with the Alcatel ONU in FTTH you can get rid of the Sagemcom and install a pfSense or MikroTik.

That's how I'm set up now, except on VDSL2. Hopefully it still works when my Rogers contract expires and I have a chance to try IPTV.
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.