captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 edit

captokita

Premium Member

[Anime] Summer 2012 - Currently watching

It's that time again folks, the spring season is coming to a close, and the summer shows are already starting to hit. These are the ones I've seen so far. Don't know what I want to continue with, but...

Total Eclipse: Alternate reality, where in the 60s, Earth made contact with aliens, and boy, were we sorry. The aliens called BETAs (Beings of Extra Terrestrial Origin that are Adversaries of humanity) - no, that doesn't make BETA, but whatever... Beings of Extra Terrestrial Adversaries would make more sense, but sound as dumb. Anyway, as is the case with any alien attacking Earth anime, we lose (not really a stretch) and by the early 70s the BETAs were able to land on Earth. Move ahead to 97, and the story moves to Japan where the defense forces are fighting a losing battle over the BETAs. Yui - average high school girl from an unaverage family lineage, and friends are training to pilot mobile suits to fight the BETAs. Naturally, this requires skin tight suits with accents on the boobs, even on the flat chested ones.

I don't really get where this is going yet, but it's not completely bad, if you like the skin-tight mobile suit suits. The story, while not horrendous, has been done, but with luck, this will turn out good. I just hope it's not caught up in the fanservice to the point of making it obnoxious. You don't really see the aliens, aside from shadows and blurs, but they're obviously badass. They look sort of like bugs (ala Blue Gender) from the blurs.

Tari Tari: Anyone watch Hanasaku Iroha last year? The characters look exactly like that. Konatsu Miyamoto wants to perform in the big recital, but because of a prior screwup, she is not allowed. This causes her to quit the chorus, and start her own club. The story in the first episode is establishing her character, and the others that will ultimately be in this K-ON!-like chorus group. I didn't come away impressed with this, but I will likely watch one of more of them to tell for sure if it's worth watching or not.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Ok, first, the art style for this show will take some getting used to, I warn you now. It's drawn like something you'd see from like a Sega CD game. Anyway, our heroine is a UN Mediator, between humans and "fairies" - these little things that will give you nightmares from their gaping smiles... *shudder* Anyway, these fairies can pretty much do/make anything, and contemplate things such as starving to death an enlightened experience. The first episode introduces us to the fairies, and the amazingly scary things they can do. We end at the fairy factory where canned goods are being made..... it's odd ok, I don't know the best way to explain it simply. Though the loaf of bread at the end will either have you laughing your ass off or scarred for life, your choice. I'll watch a few more to get a better feel for where it's going.

Utakoi: Did you watch Chihayafuru? I tried but didn't like it, you know, the series on the game karuta (Hyakunin Isshu (Hundred Poets) where you swipe verses of the poems off the floor?) Well, this is like "Visualized Hyakunin Isshu" - where the verses come to life in mini stories. The animation style in this one is also awkward, and visions of Okami flash through my head watching it, I expect a big pen to come swishing through at any moment. The stories are introduced by Fujiwara no Teika - the poet who made them. The stories end up with the person involved writing the verse/poem that applies to the tale being told. (hence the animation style as well) It's really not bad, and I found the first half more entertaining than the second, but overall, it was decent.

*Edit* TIME WARP!!!!!!!!! My brain is mush, thank you.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

Re: [Anime] Summer 2010 - Currently watching

I think you maybe off a couple years....

This season I'm not seeing much that catching my eyes. I was debating about Total Eclipse but I'm thinking it might be a little full of fan service, which could kill the series.

Maybe Kokoro Connect

Otherwise the only show that I am for sure watching is Space Brothers, this is a big change from last season where I was watching 5/6 shows.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

I think you maybe off a couple years....

LOL! Thank you, I don't know how the bleep I typed 2010 instead of 2012. Durrrr.....
captokita

captokita

Premium Member

Re: [Anime] Summer 2012 - Currently watching

Sword Art Online: MMORPG Sword Art Online is released to the public, to a lucky 10000 people. Kirito was a beta tester, and is anxious to get into the game again. In the game he is nabbed by a noob Klien, and teaches him the basics of killing boars. Things are great until Klien wants to logout only to find that is not an option in this game now. Come to find out, this is a pretty lethal game, die in game, your brain is fried in real life. Forcibly remove the VR device on your head? Brain fried. How do you get out? Beat the game!

I was really digging this episode, and think it will be one of the better series this season.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by captokita:

Sword Art Online: MMORPG Sword Art Online is released to the public, to a lucky 10000 people. Kirito was a beta tester, and is anxious to get into the game again. In the game he is nabbed by a noob Klien, and teaches him the basics of killing boars. Things are great until Klien wants to logout only to find that is not an option in this game now. Come to find out, this is a pretty lethal game, die in game, your brain is fried in real life. Forcibly remove the VR device on your head? Brain fried. How do you get out? Beat the game!

I was really digging this episode, and think it will be one of the better series this season.

I really liked it as well, I went into the series with apprehension as I've watched some .hack// and found it to be horrible. So far this has avoided the boringness of .hack// and it is playing off as as an action adventure show just using the mmorpg as a plot device. We will see as the series develops if it will continue to use the mmorpg as a plot device and not something to bog the series down.

Kokoro Connect is turning out well, normal body switch stuff. I hope that it doesn't become an ecchi fest, but from the first episode that so far doesn't appear to be a concern.

I haven’t watched any Total Eclipse yet as the obvious ecchi scares me, the reviews aren’t bad so I might give it a shot. I am bummed because so far this season appears to be lame. We shall see.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

I haven’t watched any Total Eclipse yet as the obvious ecchi scares me, the reviews aren’t bad so I might give it a shot. I am bummed because so far this season appears to be lame. We shall see.

Yeah, #1 was fanservicey in parts, but the 2nd episode turns up the gore factor, and paints a very dark tone to the series, making you think even more of Blue Gender. This turns out to be a prelude to the real story, which starts next week.

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to captokita

to captokita
Sadly I haven't been watching much in the way of the new offerings, though I need to get on and watch Bodacious Space Pirates. One of my friends raved about it. I've been catching up on what's in my Netflix queue, namely Rosario+Vampire and Clannad.

Although the husband did ask - if we don't watch anime, do we have to turn in our otaku license? hmmm...

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by mareastrum:

Sadly I haven't been watching much in the way of the new offerings, though I need to get on and watch Bodacious Space Pirates. One of my friends raved about it. I've been catching up on what's in my Netflix queue, namely Rosario+Vampire and Clannad.

Yeah, I was a bit hesitant of the start, but shows like Sword Art Online and Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita are decent. I'm still putting myself through the pain of Gundam AGE each week as well...... Damn is that terrible.
quote:
Although the husband did ask - if we don't watch anime, do we have to turn in our otaku license? hmmm...
Nope, as long as Luffy is still on your avatar, you're good.

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium Member
join:2004-06-26
Fpo, AP

Madcap to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I've taken up watching this series as well. While I personally count .hack//sign as among my favorite animes, I am intrigued by and enjoying Sword Art Online. I haven't found a new anime besides it to watch which leaves me lacking but I have a small amount of back anime to try and fill the gap.

Side Note - Not real anime, but Young Justice that I was watching seems to have stopped at episode 7 of season 2.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
Gundam AGE: Kira?? Is that you? What the heck are YOU doing in this series?!?!

Seriously though, it's gotten much better then when it first started. At least they're not using some Mobile Trace System or anything... READY? GO!

Total Eclipse: I want to smack whoever came up with the promos for this series. Seriously, WTF were they thinking? They make it look like fanservice show thinly disguised as a mech series thereby turning off anyone looking for a serious show, but then it turns out to have almost no fanservice thereby pissing off anyone who actually wanted fanservice. Marketing fail. I'm still at episode 3, I like being ~2 weeks behind as I don't do cliffhangers (I cheat, I know).

Phi Brain: I'm still following this one. It's a nice fun one.

Sword Art Online: This is the one I'm the most interested in this season. I want it to be good, but I'm not quite sure what type of series it's trying to be. I can't quite tell if ep 4 was just filler or is actually related to the overall story... He's really a good guy who made himself out to be a bad guy to keep everyone together, we got that in ep 2. It's always amusing watching the main character totally and completely pwn a bunch of n00bs though

/M

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC
·Hotwire Communic..

Chiyo to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
Not watching a single thing from this season which is shocking because normally I watch at least one or two shows each season but nothing looks good.

I've finished playing Katawa Shojo and I'm over half way though Fight Spirit New Challenger. Disappointed in myself for waiting over a year to start it!

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

Gundam AGE: Kira?? Is that you? What the heck are YOU doing in this series?!?!

Seriously though, it's gotten much better then when it first started. At least they're not using some Mobile Trace System or anything... READY? GO!

Nope, I think it continues to stink. But I had to laugh about your Kira reference, I thought the same thing. It just wouldn't be a Gundam series though without the "War is bad, we should all hold hands and sing kumbaya!" mantra. Though this last episode made me chuckle when everyone was tripping on X-rounderitis, except for Asemu, who has no such ability, and he just looks on like "Wtf?" If they make (sure they will) an Age-2/pirate mode model, I'm buying it, because that's pretty badass looking. As stupid as its placement is.
quote:
Total Eclipse: I want to smack whoever came up with the promos for this series. Seriously, WTF were they thinking? They make it look like fanservice show thinly disguised as a mech series thereby turning off anyone looking for a serious show, but then it turns out to have almost no fanservice thereby pissing off anyone who actually wanted fanservice. Marketing fail. I'm still at episode 3, I like being ~2 weeks behind as I don't do cliffhangers (I cheat, I know).
LOL! Ok, you're completely right here. It STARTED pretty good, but just isn't GOING anywhere. Like a bad soap opera, except there is no sex, lies, etc going on. So it's even WORSE than a bad soap opera. They hint at enemies for the next episode (#8) so hopefully it will see more action and improve. I just don't see it happening properly.

I just came back from Vacation, so I'm playing catch up with series I missed 2 episodes of.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Sword Art Online ep 4 raises an interesting question... While I don't doubt that forcefully logging people out will kill them (or they'd all be logged out by now), there's enough doubt about what happens if you die in the game that I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they don't actually die in real life. If there's no proof that killing someone in the game causes them to die in real life, can the PKers still be charged with murder when the game ends if it really does kill them?

/M

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

So we're nearly through this ho-hum season, but a few series keep me entertained.

Sword Art Online: I'm still liking this, and a couple of episodes have been downright sad. If YOU were trapped in a MMO like that, would you just sit back and enjoy it - as far as being a shopkeeper, etc vs fighting to "win" to get freedom that was never a guarantee anyway?

Humanity has Declined: Those damn fairies are still really creepy, and the art is really weird, but I'm still liking this series. This past week had me laughing a lot, which is what I needed. What other anime can you see a creepy looking fairy piss himself? Ah man, that was some funny stuff.

Total Eclipse: This series started out so well, and looked to be a dark, action type show, where it has devolved into a mushy, lame joke. I'm going to keep watching it in the hopes it will get more exciting, but these past 5 episodes haven't wowed me by any extent.

Accel World: When this series first started, I wasn't sure where it would go, and if I would like it or not, now into it's 2nd season it's doing pretty well. I like the fights, and I like the characters, even if one is a pig as his "virtual" self. I'm curious how this one will end.

La storia della Arcana Famiglia: I tried to get into this, but it just isn't going anywhere. I thought this was supposed to be about the family fighting each other to take over the family, and to marry Felicita - though none of that has happened up to episode 7 where I stopped. I'll probably play catchup this week, but it's just not doing anything for me.

I'm not a fan of the current Fairy Tail filler, it's slow, sluggish, and just is annoying. I'm liking the manga right now, so I'm looking forward to this filler to be done, and getting back to the story.

Enjoying Hunter X Hunter, it's got a good story, and the characters are well done.

Yes, I'm still suffering through Gundam AGE, the whole thing is a train wreck, with the only good thing is I have a couple of models I want to buy from the series @ AWA next month.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by captokita:

Sword Art Online: I'm still liking this, and a couple of episodes have been downright sad. If YOU were trapped in a MMO like that, would you just sit back and enjoy it - as far as being a shopkeeper, etc vs fighting to "win" to get freedom that was never a guarantee anyway?

Accel World: When this series first started, I wasn't sure where it would go, and if I would like it or not, now into it's 2nd season it's doing pretty well. I like the fights, and I like the characters, even if one is a pig as his "virtual" self. I'm curious how this one will end.

I've been meaning to reply to these...

I'm gonna have to disagree with your assessment of SAO. Not everyone is good at fighting, so why should they go get themselves killed trying? They're doing exactly what they should be - doing what they can to support the people who are fighting. Kirito would never of gotten his 2nd sword if there were no swordsmiths...

I just watched ep 11 and ugh, I hated it. The entire first half of the episode I wanted to strangle someone; Asuna opening up a can of whoop-ass towards the end was the only good part of this ep. At the very end I was like "oh, hello, .Hack"

Accel World is great however. At least if you like straight up action shows... I was put off by the first part of the first episode, but by the end I was interested enough to watch #2. By the end of #2 it was on my must-watch list 2 episodes ago my biggest concern was that there were only 3 episodes left; will that be enough time to wrap up the arc they just started and get back to the story from the first 3/4 of the series? Now with only 1 ep remaining it looks like they'll just barely be able to finish the current arc. I sure hope there's another season in the works... I think it's kinda cool how Accel World takes place 20 years after SAO. It would be hilarious if it turns out Kirito was somehow involved with creating the Brain Burst program :lol:

/M

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by mackey:

I'm gonna have to disagree with your assessment of SAO. Not everyone is good at fighting, so why should they go get themselves killed trying? They're doing exactly what they should be - doing what they can to support the people who are fighting. Kirito would never of gotten his 2nd sword if there were no swordsmiths...

I think you didn't understand my question. If you're trapped in the game, "would you sit back and enjoy it" means not fighting - being a blacksmith, while essential to the fighting people, is a relatively "safe" profession, unless you go farming materials yourself. Someone wants something made, they can bring you the materials. So vs fighting, it's a "safe" thing to do. You can't be killed in towns.
quote:
I just watched ep 11 and ugh, I hated it. The entire first half of the episode I wanted to strangle someone; Asuna opening up a can of whoop-ass towards the end was the only good part of this ep. At the very end I was like "oh, hello, .Hack"
Ya, it has faltered a bit, but in a way, you can understand it. If you were that close to death, you might take the chance to live peacefully a bit.
quote:
Accel World is great however. At least if you like straight up action shows... I was put off by the first part of the first episode, but by the end I was interested enough to watch #2. By the end of #2 it was on my must-watch list
Some things in this one have been done before, but it's still a good show, and has plenty of action. If next week is the end, it's going to be rushed some. Nice buildup though, and this week had me yelling at the screen "will you just kill him already?"

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Well, as expected, that was the last episode of Accel World. Not bad overall, though I kinda wish they just left out some of the plot points they never followed through with. Need moar Akihabara Battle Grounds action! I sure hope they make another season once there's more source material.

Sword Art Online. Sigh. Question: if you suddenly have access to a terminal that has an administrator account logged in on, do you
A) Log everyone out
B) Give yourself a badass weapon that will let you clear the game in no time.
C) Max out your level and abilities.
D) Modify the program to not kill people when they get a 'game over.'
E) (Partially) save some AI program from being deleted.
I'm sure you can guess which one Kirito chose... I guess they were worried about ending the series too soon? Ugh.

/M

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

LOL! You're right mackey, you would think you would utilize an admin panel slightly better, but then, what fun is that?

Accel World's ending was decent, and ending it that way isn't bad. As opposed to my next rant:

Gundam Age: Holy hell thank glob this craptastic series is over. The final episode basically just shit all over the entire series, and makes you just scream at the screen "NO YOU ASSHOLE! YOU DON'T END LIKE THAT!" You just don't forget the fact you've been slaughtering each other throughout the past 50+ years and just calmly start fighting together. That just wouldn't happen. Then you come up with some bullshit the AGE system (which I thought destroyed in the last episode) could cure Mar's ills, then why the frig didn't you do that from the start?????? ARRRGH! The pain! the PAAAAAAAIN!!!!!!

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium Member
Fpo, AP

Madcap to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
*sigh* SAO Episode 14

The manga for this is so much longer. What is with this sudden end to the anime? I know it's slated for at least 17 episodes but they just ignored mounds of manga to blaze to the end like that... what is going on?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

Per crunchyroll they are starting a new arch.

»www.crunchyroll.com/anim ··· -preview

Madcap
Baby's on Fire
Premium Member
Fpo, AP

Madcap

Premium Member

If you don't know me, just know I get addicted to animes quick! I did have an argument with a friend about SAO and where it is now, for kindness, I'll use spoiler tags

I think I remember seeing Suguh, Kiragaya "Kirito" Kazuto's cousin/sister, utter the name Kirito in her offline life. I think she knows that Kirito is her cousin and can just express emotion in the game because Kirito doesn't know. What is everyone who has been following the anime take on this?