share rss forum feed

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

$5 is $5

While that's not enough to attract me over the uncapped rate, I know that fully half of my neighbors, relatives, inlaws, kinfolk, friends and associates would benefit from this offering. A lucky few have dirt-cheap dry-loop DSL circuits.

What's wrong with allowing the consumer to make up his own mind, rather than having the angry mob shout down and take away cheaper options, just because they disapprove of the concept?

This isn't about making overage bucks. Its pitching to the 30% of the customer base that doesn't spend their life online.

Its true, that over time, basic usage levels will rise, even for the 30%, but the ISPs will adjust their caps accordingly, to keep the business.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Well then you've been a dick for not telling them get DSL or even dialup, because they have no need for broadband. Really they could go without a connection and just make use of free public wifi...if they even need a computer

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to elray

What incentive do they have to increase the caps? If there's no competition, why not just keep asking for more?

Where are they going to go?

The industry won't stop the caps, only the government can. And in order to do that, you need an FCC that isn't bought and paid for by the ISP's themselves.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to elray

said by elray:

While that's not enough to attract me over the uncapped rate, I know that fully half of my neighbors, relatives, inlaws, kinfolk, friends and associates would benefit from this offering. A lucky few have dirt-cheap dry-loop DSL circuits.

What's wrong with allowing the consumer to make up his own mind, rather than having the angry mob shout down and take away cheaper options, just because they disapprove of the concept?

This isn't about making overage bucks. Its pitching to the 30% of the customer base that doesn't spend their life online.

Its true, that over time, basic usage levels will rise, even for the 30%, but the ISPs will adjust their caps accordingly, to keep the business.

um 5gb, on a pc isn't nothing, it don't matter what you do, even if its basic stuff like web surfing.. you will blow threw it even at a hour or so on a pc a day, if you have a virus then your really screwed

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to Os

said by Os:

What incentive do they have to increase the caps? If there's no competition, why not just keep asking for more?

Where are they going to go?

The industry won't stop the caps, only the government can. And in order to do that, you need an FCC that isn't bought and paid for by the ISP's themselves.

that's another reason why every vote counts this November, Not just health care but everything is dependent on who we elect this year, this has to be the biggest election in years cause it will signal what way we want this country to go

A new FCC would be appointed by the president, but of course if its Obama then we get what we got now... I for one will not be voting for him, Caps on cable are unacceptable especially 5gb... wireless is another story and I accept that

Os

join:2011-01-26
US

But that's precisely the political problem we have, to call Obama or Romney anything other than a corporate shill would be a lie.

The country will largely go in the same direction no matter which of these guys gets in.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Cobra11M

said by Cobra11M:

um 5gb, on a pc isn't nothing, it don't matter what you do, even if its basic stuff like web surfing.. you will blow threw it even at a hour or so on a pc a day, if you have a virus then your really screwed

Ain't nothing for you.

For the 30%, its more than plenty.

I know its hard to believe inside the DSLR forum bubble, but there is a whole world of people who don't use their computer but one day a week, or less; they don't download, they don't play online games, they don't watch streaming video.