xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704

Re: [Rant] Worst Burger King in the world

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by kontos:

So we could solve all problems by making the minimum wage $100/hour?

No, there is a happy medium for everything.

Why would you think that it has to be one extreme or the other?

I can agree with that statement. So, what is the perfect minimum wage in your opinion.

If you asked me, I'd say that we've gone too high with the current wage. There are just some jobs that you are not supposed to be able to support yourself on.
In other words my response to "You can't raise a family by running a cash register at STORE-X." is "No kidding!"
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by kontos:

I can agree with that statement. So, what is the perfect minimum wage in your opinion.

Here's one calculation I'd put in.

Unless a CEO actually created an idea or a device or a company, no CEO should be getting more than the total salaries of 500 workers (five hundred workers!) at the bottom.

I have no problem with Bill Gates or the Google guys or even the Facebook creator(s) making shitloads of money.

But the guy who is the current CEO of McDonalds just fell into a lucky break, like finding a magic lamp. He did NOT create the hamburger or even the sesame seed bun.

So:

According to Forbes, that CEO made 20,710,000 last year.

Divide that by 500 workers (we're STILL paying the CEO the total of 500 other guys!!) and that's 41,420 per worker.

Divide that by 2,000 hours worked per year, that's 20.71 per hour....

....and YES, I agree, that's TOO high.

BUT:

That means that McDonald's CEO is getting 10,355.00 PER HOUR (over ten thousand dollars an hour!) and THAT is obscene.

kontos
xyzzy
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by kontos:

Here's one calculation I'd put in.

{snip..CEO red herring argument}

How would taking money away from the CEO help the bottom pay workers?

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

said by kontos:

How would taking money away from the CEO help the bottom pay workers?

How would taking money away from the bottom pay workers help the bottom pay workers?

kontos
xyzzy
West Henrietta, NY

kontos

In some combination:
* It would allow places that use unskilled labor to sell their wares for a lower price and remain profitable.
* It would allow places to hire a larger number of low-skill workers allowing them to gain experience and employment history.