uniqs

David0417
Premium Member
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

1 edit

David0417

Premium Member

Re: 45MB Internet on 55MB Bonded Profile?

I live about 1900 Feet from the VRAD and sync at 48Mbps, so probably anyone within 1500 feet with pair bonding could run at 100Mbps.

Here is an article which mentions U-Verse:
Alcatel-Lucent Announces VDSL2 Vectoring: 100Mbps on Copper Phone Lines
»stopthecap.com/2011/10/0 ··· e-lines/

Here is another article:
Read more: Report: CenturyLink to deliver 100 Mbps VDSL2 service - FierceTelecom »www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 12-04-10

There are several more articles of 100Mbps DSL being deployed now over copper if you search Google for: 100Mbps VDSL.

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

I'm just a little above 2400 feet from my VRAD and get these sync speeds on a bonded profile. I'm sure with a little more "wire twisting" I could squeeze out a little more. All in all if they do start bonding people at closer distances should see a lot faster sync speeds than 100mbps.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by guhuna:

I'm just a little above 2400 feet from my VRAD and get these sync speeds on a bonded profile. I'm sure with a little more "wire twisting" I could squeeze out a little more. All in all if they do start bonding people at closer distances should see a lot faster sync speeds than 100mbps.

It is strange though you have a 25/2 profile, and not a 32/5 one if your "max rate" is so high.

Also, I am pretty sure the max rate doesn't say anything about stability.... I have heard some people here say that even though the number may be that high, the error correction needed on the distance you are at might not make it possible to get even close to that.

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

It all depends on the wiring outside. In the last 24 hours I've only had 12k correctable blocks, I never see any uncorrected blocks.

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

SomeJoe7777 to maartena

to maartena
I checked the UV Realtime database and found the following:

There is one person on an i3812V/i38HG router who has a 55/6 profile. The max rates on each line are in the 45-48 Mbps range, the profile on each line is approximately 27.5/3. He is approximately 1900' from the VRAD.

His iNID is running the standard 6.3.7.37 firmware.

These results were reported to the UV Realtime database as recently as May 4th, 2012.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by guhuna:

It is strange though you have a 25/2 profile, and not a 32/5 one if your "max rate" is so high.

Also, I am pretty sure the max rate doesn't say anything about stability.... I have heard some people here say that even though the number may be that high, the error correction needed on the distance you are at might not make it possible to get even close to that.

There is no guarantee that a 'high' max rate will result in a stable service and also there is no guarantee that some gateway at 2Kft will perform the same as another gateway at 2Kft. There are so many variables involved that each case is different and this is why the service is so inconsistent and unpredictable. In my neighborhood some of us had good stats while others had terrible stats all under the constraints of a neighborhood block roughly 10-15 homes and some of the guys closer to the VRAD had worse numbers than guys further away from the VRAD.

I find it amusing when people say that their correctable errors (FEC) are only 20K a day. To me this is a clear indication of instability... push the system a little bit harder with interference, weather conditions, electrical noise or crosstalk and... 'Houston we have a problem'. Thank you Reed-Solomon!

This is what AT&T is doing with these 'new' profiles, pushing VDSL2 harder and without extensive testing and evaluation deploying it would be dumb. This is why it's taking years before at&t offers this to the public but a year in ISP terms is an eternity.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena

I noticed a lot of people who've posted here with stability problems on bonded profiles show fairly high (50+)mbps bonded max downstream rates. Max rate doesn't give us the whole story, even more so on bonded profiles. AT&T may need to do more research to figure out how far out one can reliably do a bonded 32/5 profile.

We also can't see the max upstream. A lot of people that had 32/5 had trouble getting the full 5 up, even though they had lots of headroom in the downstream direction.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

said by guhuna:

The problem at that distance is the upload. While the download max rate may be sufficient with pair bonding at that distance, the upload is still too limited to handle even the 32/5 much less a higher profile

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by WhyMe420:

The problem at that distance is the upload. While the download max rate may be sufficient with pair bonding at that distance, the upload is still too limited to handle even the 32/5 much less a higher profile

AT&T believes 5 Mbps upload is the way of the future. If, of course, it can deliver that.

SomeJoe7777
join:2010-03-30
Houston, TX

SomeJoe7777 to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

Too low of a max rate for the chosen profile will guarantee that the line will be unstable. So the max rate definitely says something about the line stability. Just not everything.

Error correction overhead (in terms of the raw bandwidth) is constant for AT&T's VDSL scheme, regardless of distance. Obviously on noisy lines, the error correction is more active, but no additional bandwidth is used.