uniqs
devicenull
Premium Member
join:2002-12-01
Piscataway, NJ

devicenull

Premium Member

DOCSIS 3 modem for new order?

Is there any way I can convince optimum to give me a D3 modem from the start? Based on my previous experience with them (a year ago), and the experiences of people that live very close to where I'm going to be moving, it's rather likely I'm going to see issues on a D2 modem.

I'm hoping to save everyone a lot of frustration (and time!).

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

If you get boost + or Ultra D3 modems are standard. With regular OOL it's 50/50
devicenull
Premium Member
Piscataway, NJ

devicenull

Premium Member

Well, I just saw that I can use my own modem. I already have a SB6120 (that I bought to use w/comcast), so if they don't give me a D3 modem, I'll just use that instead.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I never knew you could use your own modem.
devicenull
Premium Member
Piscataway, NJ

devicenull

Premium Member

Well, if the FAQ is to be believed, you can: »Optimum Online FAQ »Can I buy my own modem?
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

Parth to devicenull

to devicenull
Yes you can use your own modem, but most people just use the one Cablevision provides because there isn't a modem rental fee.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

You learn something new everyday

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to Parth

Premium Member

to Parth
said by Parth:

Yes, you can use your own modem, but most people just use the one Cablevision provides because there isn't a modem rental fee.

Correct. Unlike the cable boxes, Cablevision does not charge a rental fee for a modem, so it's a free loaner as long as you have the service. Now, if you cancel service, you must return it in one piece and in working condition or they will charge you full retail price (if not more) for it. So it makes no sense whatsoever to buy your own modem.

Now, going back to the original topic, I think they have free trial of Boost+, so signing up for it could be one way of getting a D3 modem. Then if you do not want Boost+, cancel it before your trial runs out. I don't think they'll go through trouble of swapping it back for D2 one, they'll just send a new config file to your D3 one with lower speed caps once you downgrade.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Non-returned modem fee is $100.
KeyLogger
join:2007-08-08

1 edit

KeyLogger to devicenull

to devicenull
i think you can only order the boost+ trial online when you already have OOL?

not sure if you get the trial for new install

but even there's no trial, you can just cancel it right away, $15 a month, so it's about 50cents per day.

if you get a D2 modem, then order boost+ trial, you need to ship the old one back, if you don't want to return it, have to get D3 at the very beginning.

or order regular OOL, and talk to the Installer, you want to order the boost+ trial online later (this only if you can't get the trial for new install). tell him to give you a D3, if he say no, call his boss right away.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to devicenull

to devicenull
There is no boost plus free trial. You can always try to just ask for a docsis 3 modem at the walk-in center. I went to mine yesterday for an additional box, and the woman next to me was returning her modem "because it's old, and the last tech told me there was a newer modem, I forget what it's called." The guy just gave it to her. But, if it doesn't work, you can sign up for Boost Plus and cancel whenever. Maybe even level with them and tell them that they're going to go through all the work of adding the rates to the account just to have them removed when you get home.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to devicenull

Premium Member

to devicenull
I would think by next year, D3 modems will be standard across the board.

andvari
join:2003-05-21
Freehold, NJ

andvari to devicenull

to devicenull
I've used my own modems a couple of times with mixed results. The first time was several years ago and the modem was a Teledyne. The performance was better than the shark fin that Cablevision gave me, but eventually Cablevision made some some sort of network change that caused the modem to randomly drop connections so I traded in the old shark fin for a more modern Moto.

The second time was more recent - I bought a Moto DS3 mostly because I didn't want to take time off from work to get a DS3. Eventually Cablevision offered 5 frequencies on my node, so I took back my old DS2 to a walk in center to get the 8 channel Arris that is offered now.

The big thing about using your own modem is to be sure it's supported by Cablevision. And that you get one that supports voice if you have OV.

Bichon
MVM
join:2002-10-10
Freehold, NJ

Bichon

MVM

The first time was several years ago and the modem was a Teledyne.
Bichon

Bichon to andvari

MVM

to andvari
quote:
The first time was several years ago and the modem was a Teledyne.
Are you sure you don't mean a Terayon? In the old days, that was the speed demon.

A non
@151.190.0.x

A non

Anon

said by Bichon:

Are you sure you don't mean a Terayon? In the old days, that was the speed demon.

Oh man, a Terajet from The Wiz. 8 Mbps! Good times, good times.

andvari
join:2003-05-21
Freehold, NJ

andvari

said by A non :

Yes, huge. My two best computer upgrades ever were my first hard drive (a huge 20 MB!) and my first cable modem.

Cablevision somehow lost my paperwork and it took them 2 years to start charging me for the modem service. LOL.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

I had a 3Com Sharkfin back in the days too, first modem I got when we moved to CT from NYC. Got it at The Wiz also This was when nobody else had fast speeds too, people were talking ISDN 128K which "stomps" all over 56K. LOL I had a sweet 8Mbps and made everyone drool. I had that "i think i've browsed the WHOLE internet, i'm done now" feeling. Things were just that fast back then. Now 8Mbps, psht - wouldn't want that unless it's free!
devicenull
Premium Member
Piscataway, NJ

devicenull

Premium Member

Turns out I didn't have to do anything special. I ended up with one of the Arris D3 modems. My order actually had 'install new D3 modem' written on it, which I found interesting. I definitely am not using boost or anything.

I wonder if they've started rolling out D3 to everyone by default?

Pirate515
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to andvari

Premium Member

to andvari
said by andvari:

said by A non :

Yes, huge. My two best computer upgrades ever were my first hard drive (a huge 20 MB!) and my first cable modem.

Cablevision somehow lost my paperwork and it took them 2 years to start charging me for the modem service. LOL.

I had a Terajet too. AFAIK, it was almost impossible to get one from Cablevision (I think they were really low on stock on those), so if you got one from them it would be either 3Com SharkFin or some kind of Motorola.

I bought my Terajet on eBay since I knew for a fact that my building was wired for OOL, yet CV refused to acknowledge that fact for about half a year and "officially" sign me up. Sure enough, as soon as I plugged it in, it synced. Again, after several calls to CV customer service/tech support and them refusing to register the MAC with my account because "OOL was not yet available in my area", I found a friendly OOL tech on this forum who entered me into the system.

As far as I can remember, in the early days of OOL you had as long as 9 weeks from the day you plugged your modem in before it got bricked if it wasn't registered. That's no longer the case today, any unregistered modem would still sync, but you wouldn't get past the registration page.

I retired my Terajet when I signed up for Boost shortly after OOL upgraded to DOCSIS 2. Shortly after they upgraded to DOCSIS 3, I started having speed problems. Called them and got them to send a tech over, who swapped my modem for a DOCSIS 3 one, instantly curing the problem.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Pirate515:

I had a Terajet too. AFAIK, it was almost impossible to get one from Cablevision (I think they were really low on stock on those), so if you got one from them it would be either 3Com SharkFin or some kind of Motorola.

I bought my TJ110 from The Wiz for $99 (refurbished) in 2001 IIRC. They had plenty of them. Think it just depended on the location and timing (SB4100 became very popular shortly after I got the TJ).

Pirate515
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

I bought my TJ110 from The Wiz for $99 (refurbished) in 2001 IIRC. They had plenty of them. Think it just depended on the location and timing (SB4100 became very popular shortly after I got the TJ).

You are right about location and timing. I guess The Bronx (or at least some parts of it) got OOL sooner than my part of Brooklyn. I got mine in January or February 2002, but you could not sign up via official channels until around June or July. There were 2 Wiz stores around my area where I shopped pretty often; I remember CV counters there and people walking away from them with either SharkFins or SB4100's back in those days. My guess is that the first supply of modems when OOL first started out were Terajets, so whoever was lucky enough to have it available to them early on snagged them. After that, it was either refurbished or used, or one of the above two.

sff
join:1999-07-20
New Rochelle, NY

sff

I got my OOL SB4100 from the WIZ. I remember I lost DSL access when Northpoint folded in around March 2001. Then I had to go back to dialup (painful) until Cablevision came into my neighborhood. I ordered it the week it became available in my area. I believe (from posts on this forum) that I had OOL starting in mid December 2001.