The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [IPv6] Is this right?

said by NetFixer:

said by owlyn:

It looks like Comcast has not rolled out native IPV6 to you yet. If you change the DHCP setting to 6to4, and re-run the est, you should get 10/10

If Comcast native IPv6 was not working at the OP's location, there would not be a router WAN IPv6 address of 2001:558:....../64, and probably not a router LAN IPv6 address of 2601:....../64 either.

Thats what is confusing to me too.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jkj860:

said by NetFixer:

said by owlyn:

It looks like Comcast has not rolled out native IPV6 to you yet. If you change the DHCP setting to 6to4, and re-run the est, you should get 10/10

If Comcast native IPv6 was not working at the OP's location, there would not be a router WAN IPv6 address of 2001:558:....../64, and probably not a router LAN IPv6 address of 2601:....../64 either.

Thats what is confusing to me too.

Have you tried to connect your Vista based PC directly to the SB6121 (you will of course need to reboot both the modem and the PC after making that change) to see if the problem is with the PC or the WNDR3700? That might at least provide a starting point for troubleshooting.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to jkj860

to jkj860
Might sound silly but have you tried a different computer? It could be an issue with the operating system itself?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Might sound silly but have you tried a different computer? It could be an issue with the operating system itself?

A problem with Microsoft Vista? Surely you jest.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Well I know that when I run this test »ipv6-test.com/ on my Vista machine it says that my browser perfers IPv4 over IPv6, but when I run the same test in 7 it says the browser perfers IPv6 over IPv4. Both use IE9 so (shrugs)
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

3 edits

voiptalk

Have you tried selecting "Auto Config" for the LAN IP address assignment on the router? Let Vista auto configure from the router RA's instead of trying to grab an address via DHCPv6.

That's how I have it on a Netgear WNR3500Lv2 and Vista machines with IE9 work fine.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

My router only has IPv6 automatic and 6rd settings. My vista can connect to IPv6 sites and it gets an IPv6 address and all that, just that test says otherwise.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to voiptalk

MVM

to voiptalk
One problem I just encountered (sort of). There is a known firmware issue with some D2 modems (Arris TM 402, 502, 602, and maybe some others) that causes you to NOT be able to connect to the modem's admin functions. The new part I discovered is that my Netgear router cannot access DHCP via the modem. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that even if Comcast has deployed native IPV6 in my area, I can't use it until they get the modem's firmware straightened out (so the router can get at Comcast's DHCP)?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I would think if a router cannot connect to the router via DHCP there is going to be a problem. A thought would be to program the router with a static IP address?
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk to owlyn

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

There is a known firmware issue with some D2 modems (Arris TM 402, 502, 602, and maybe some others) that causes you to NOT be able to connect to the modem's admin functions. The new part I discovered is that my Netgear router cannot access DHCP via the modem. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that even if Comcast has deployed native IPV6 in my area, I can't use it until they get the modem's firmware straightened out (so the router can get at Comcast's DHCP)?

I'm really not following that.

But, a key point is that if you have a D2 modem you are not going to be getting native IPv6. Got to be a D3. There is such a thing as DOCSIS2 +IPv6, but Comcast has not given any indication that they well be deploying it.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by voiptalk:

said by owlyn:

There is a known firmware issue with some D2 modems (Arris TM 402, 502, 602, and maybe some others) that causes you to NOT be able to connect to the modem's admin functions. The new part I discovered is that my Netgear router cannot access DHCP via the modem. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that even if Comcast has deployed native IPV6 in my area, I can't use it until they get the modem's firmware straightened out (so the router can get at Comcast's DHCP)?

I'm really not following that.

What owlyn See Profile is talking about is if you have one of the D2 modems that he lists (and I have one...the Arris TM 402P) you cannot access the modem diagnostic interface that is normally reached by going to 192.168.0.100. The page just times out. I started a thread about that very issue, so if you would like to find out the reason why, NetDog See Profile answers that question in this thread

»[Connectivity] Arris TM402P/110 Status Page not working

As far as the rest of it, I'm not sure.

--Brian

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

FFH5 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Prefer IPV4 or IPV6 - you can choose in Windows 7

said by Mike Wolf:

Well I know that when I run this test »ipv6-test.com/ on my Vista machine it says that my browser perfers IPv4 over IPv6, but when I run the same test in 7 it says the browser perfers IPv6 over IPv4. Both use IE9 so (shrugs)

By default Windows 7 prefers IPV6. I found that inconvenient, because while many large web sites have IPV6 hosts now, they haven't yet put in server load sharing and multiple sites supporting IPV6 hosting yet. So you can end up routed to a web site far away(like Facebook sends me to France for IPV6 and only 100 miles away for IPV4).

Doing a little research, I found 2 Hotfixes from Microsoft that allows you to set Windows 7 to prefer either IPV6 or IPV4. I ran the Hotfix that PREFERS IPV4. It can still go to IPV6 web sites that only do IPV6, but if there is a choice, it does IPV4 1st. That has given me better performance for yahoo.com & facebook.com.
If they finally start making IPV6 web hosts the better routing choice all I have to do is run the hotfix to switch back to prefer IPV6.

P.S.>> when you apply either hotfix from Microsoft, you must reboot PC to have it take effect.

Here is the web page that gives you the link to the 2 Microsoft hotfixes:

»www.thewindowsclub.com/e ··· problems

By default, Windows prefers IPv6 over IPv4. So if you are having problems using IPv6 to connect to some websites, you can configure your Windows to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6.

- The Prefer IPv4 over IPv6 Microsoft Fix it 50410 will configure your computer to use IPV4 instead of IPv6.

- If you wish to reverse it anytime, you can use the Prefer IPv6 over IPv4 Microsoft Fix it 50441 to make your Windows go back to its defaults.

Here is the Microsoft support article that describes the hotfixes and has links to them if you don't trust the links in the web site above:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to NetFixer

to NetFixer

Re: [IPv6] Is this right?

said by NetFixer:

Have you tried to connect your Vista based PC directly to the SB6121 (you will of course need to reboot both the modem and the PC after making that change) to see if the problem is with the PC or the WNDR3700? That might at least provide a starting point for troubleshooting.

I did try that and got the same result.
jkj860

jkj860 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Yes I tried a laptop and another desktop with the same results.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

what were their operating systems?