how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

michaeljohnr

join:2003-09-12
Trenton, NJ

[Northeast] New Verizon router, now can not connect to networked

I just installed the new router Verizon sent me to address the speed issues I was having. That is solved. Thanks to everyone that input information.

Now - I went to access my networked drives (access from my wireless laptop to the hard connected pc) and it can no longer find the networked drives I could always access before the switch.

It does not even see the network where the hard connnected pc is sitting.

I am not really sure what is happening, if anyone can add anything that might help, please do.

Thanks in advance.

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Re: [Northeast] New Verizon router, now can not connect to netwo

Let's see, you can surf the internet wirelessly with the new router but can't see your own internal networked PC & (shared) drives?

Start with the basics/obvious - did you reboot/power cycle the router, desktop pc and finally the laptop? Checked the firewall & security settings on the laptop?

Updated firewall & antivirus program/apps that might've reset/change the pc's network names? i.e. "workgroup" vs. "home" etc.

From the hardwired pc, can you see the laptop? Try using a spare ethernet cable to connect directly - and does it see anything / after a reboot ?

Using a static ip ? or DHCP as given out by the router ?

michaeljohnr

Trenton, NJ

Exactly.

I can surf wirelessly through the new router, but can not see my own internal PC that is directly connected to that router's LAN port.

The local area connection status is good - connected at 100Mbps.

I power cycled the router, reset the factory defaults, rebooted all machines.

I looked at the routers homepage and network places. I can see the PC that is directly connected to the router (it shoes up as part of the "My Network"), but it will not ping from the routers homepage.

Every other device on the network will ping and respond.

From the hardwired PC, I can see and access the wireless laptop.

The router is factory default. No settings have been changed. IP address allocation DCHP.

When I try to access the networked drive I get a message that, "Windows confirmed that "Computer name" is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time. If you have access to this firewall then configure the firewall to allow connections through TCP port 445. If you don't have access contact your network administrator or ISP."

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Set the firewall to medium in the Actiontech firewall setting

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to michaeljohnr

•What OS on the laptop and PC?
•Have you tried disabling anti-virus and Windows firewall on the both the laptop and PC?
•What do you mean by "It does not even see the network where the hard connected pc is sitting".
•Can you surf the internet from the wired PC?
•Can you ping from the wired PC to the laptop?
•Is the wired PC getting a valid DHCP address (192.168.1.x, not 169.254.x.x)?
•I take it you can access the router's admin pages from the wired PC, correct?

@ guppy_fish See Profile The Actiontec firewall setting will affect only WAN-to-LAN traffic.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to michaeljohnr

It's possible that the router is set to wireless isolation which basically seperates wireless computers from seeing each other and anything on the wired network. »wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_does_···_network

michaeljohnr

Trenton, NJ
reply to More Fiber

The laptop OS is Vista / The hardwired PC is XP (but before I switched the router out for the new one, they saw each other perfectly.)

Yes to all anti-virus and firewall disabling.

From the wired PC, I can surf normally.

I can ping every device on the network EXCEPT the hardwired PC. That times out.

Yes, the hardwired PC is getting a 192.168.x.x address

Yes, I can access the router's admin page from the wired PC.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate this.

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to michaeljohnr

If you temporarily hard wire the laptop can you see the Newtwork Share ?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to michaeljohnr

Thanks for the responses.

Very puzzling. The fact that the wired PC won't respond to pings tells me it is something low level. It's working well enough to negotiate a DHCP address which means it can send and receive packets to the router, yet it won't respond to an ICMP ECHO (ping).
•Have you checked the driver for updates?
•Have you tried reinstalling the driver?
•Do you have another network card you can try?

@ Mike Wolf See Profile The Actiontec does not support wireless isolation.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mking128

College Point, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to michaeljohnr

Both the XP (hard-wired PC) and Vista (laptop) are running 32-bits OS and have the correct network named? It might be related to the ways Vista & XP ran its TCP/IP and netview configuration wirelessly? Assumed you've checked & rechecked File & Print Sharing on both systems, and that IPX/SPX protocol are not running with conflicts as I recalled that XP-64 bits tend to cause problems if it's the "server" to newer Vista & Win 7 machines.

Do you have multiple firewalls turned ON - (AT's hardware based, Windows firewall & standalone security suite products) running at the same time ?

Since it's a simple home networked pc environment, you might want to change/rename the network "name" and reassign different names to shared/networked drives & folders - then, power down & reboot in sequence - and see if it's going make any difference?

Before I upgraded/converted our primary pc/server at home from XP to Vista/Win7 - similar connectivity issues popped up once in a while, resulting in rebooting in order to restore the ability to share files & printers. Check your XP's "advanced share" tabs to see your security/permission settings, running as administrator and to allow read, write, edit/change, etc.

If you changed the wireless laptop security to none (open WiFi access) - does it see anything over the network, and, uncheck if authentication was enabled.

michaeljohnr

Trenton, NJ
reply to More Fiber

I reconnected to old router and checked if I could ping the hardwired pc and access the home network as well as get online.

It responds and everything works the way it always has - I can access the hardwired pc from the wireless laptop with no issues and it responds to pings from the routers homepage.

As soon as I put the new router back in and tried to ping the hardwired pc (from itself - I accessed the routers homepage from the hardwired pc directly connected to the router) it stopped responding and can not be accessed from the wireless laptop.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL

Are you sure you wireless device is connecting to the new router and not a neighbors network? Did you setup the new routers wireless setting and passkey?

michaeljohnr

Trenton, NJ

Yes - It is connecting to my SSID and I set up the security and passkey properly.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to michaeljohnr

How many routers is connected at one time? Only the Rev.F VZ sent you? What model did you have previously? One works, one doesn't. Which ones?

Do you have another router in the mix, like say, a primary router and another WAP?

What IP address is the wireless connected laptop, and what IP is the hardwired desktop PC?

On the Actiontec, under Advanced / Diagnostics, what results do you get when you ping each of the IP addresses? In other words, does the router ping successfully to both addresses?

Can you enter a log in to the router from both devices? Ping both addresses from both desktop and laptop.

What results do you get? And if you don't get good results for the new router that's giving you trouble, can you do the same with the old router hooked up as primary?

These questions focus on the router and the connections. If you get good ping results from the router diagnostics page, then we'll move on to the networking issue.

Do this first.

michaeljohnr

Trenton, NJ
reply to michaeljohnr

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I found the issue.

After exhausting all of your suggestions, I had a close look at any software that might be interfering.

What I found was some old McAfee software that did not totally un-install. I had to download a McAfee uninstaller tool, run it and reboot.

Everything works perfectly now. I have no idea why it worked on the old router and would not cooperate on the new one.

I appreciate the advice and help from everyone.

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to michaeljohnr

I have seen Firewall Software identify a New Network and ask me if it is OK to allow it and or what type of Zone to place it in. Since your McAfee was partially uninstalled the piece that was remaining might have seen your new Verizon Router as a New Network and placed it in a more restrictive zone and/or blocked it.

mking128

College Point, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to michaeljohnr

Bravo, now that you've found it & mentioned it, I recall having a similar McAfee partial uninstalled "bug" that simply won't play nicely a few years ago - I believed it came bundled with VZ's old DSL package along with MSN, since discontinued & only available as premium add-on product. It was a PITA until I learn about going to McAfee's own tech. support website link & downloaded a tool designed to uninstall and clean it off my XP desktop then.

Moved on since then to other security products & firewall apps like AVG, aVast, Microsoft Defender & MSE, etc. and these are different, and Zone Alarm would warned about Defender under Vista & Win7 about multiple firewalls running ... or even turned MD off - as the Fios AT router still has its own firewall running.

Most of our hardware are now running either Vista or Win7, except for 2 dual-boot desktop with XP and it's "annoying" sometimes that they "see" each other mostly and yet "don't see" others when you needed to access shared devices or drives, or, even the printer or scanner. Those so called online self-diagnostic tools are mostly useless & a waste of time to do real serious trouble-shooting ...

What I've ended up doing as one of ultimate option, from time to time, is to do a full image/backup to usb and standalone net-drive, and wipe the HDD clean & do a clean re-install while replacing/upgrade the drive itself as they are bigger & cheaper these days, just time-consuming and it basically meant an entire weekend sitting in the home office.