share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to hubba

Re: Garden Tractors: Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere.. Others?

said by hubba:

Just don't know why you are looking at the 300 or 500 series.

Steep hills. If it were for flat or relatively flat land, I'd probably be biting for a cheap riding mower that does its thing. But I need that extra power and durability to make sure it can navigate my hills week after week.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to hubba
I talked with a friend this afternoon and he was in the Husqvarna camp and said to try to stick to the models with Kawasaki motors. He said to try the GTH24V52LS since it's both a garden tractor and has the Kawasaki V-twin motor. And at an MSRP of $3200, it has an attractive price point.

I still am not firmly in any camp and haven't tried any of them, but that Husqvarna is on my short list I think...

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to SwedishRider
What is the difference between a tractor that has a locking differential and one that doesn't. Is that like a car that has posi-traction vs a car that has limited slip?

Husqvarna's YTH24V48LS ($2,800)has a locking differential, which they claim helps on steep hills or wet slopes. It also has the Kawasaki V-twin motor.

Husqvarna's GTH24V52LS ($3,200) does not have the locking differential, but is considered their garden tractor, so you would think it would be the most adept at tougher terrain, but with "limited slip" I would think it wouldn't perform as well on steep inclines. It is listed as designed for ground engaging attachments, but does NOT have a locking differential-this is confirmed on a few websites.

Drive system
YTH24V48LS - GTH24V52LS
Hydrostatic - Hydrostatic (Transmission type)
Tuff Torq - Hydro-Gear (Transmission manufacturer)
Locking differential - Ground engaging (Drive method)
0-5.5 mph - 0-7.8 mph (Speed forward, min-max)
0-2.4 mph - 0-2.1 mph (Speed reverse, min-max)

What gives? Wouldn't I be better off with the less expensive model with the locking differential? Am I thinking about this correctly?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
It depends on how steep of a grade your hill is.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

What is the difference between a tractor that has a locking differential and one that doesn't. Is that like a car that has posi-traction vs a car that has limited slip?

Exactly! If you don't have the locking differential in one wheel starts spinning you're stuck! With the locking differential the other wheel will still have traction. This is especially important for hills and snow removal if you intend on using it for that.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

It depends on how steep of a grade your hill is.

Can you explain that a bit better? I'm on a really steep set of hills, don't know how to describe the topography other than to say really steep hills.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
reply to SwedishRider
I'm interested in the amount of angles you'll work with on your hills.
For the lot in N.C. Pad is ~75' above street level..
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by SwedishRider:

Exactly! If you don't have the locking differential in one wheel starts spinning you're stuck! With the locking differential the other wheel will still have traction. This is especially important for hills and snow removal if you intend on using it for that.

So knowing this, I would be better with the tractors with a locking differential given that I am on steep hills and might use it for light snow removal. Is that correct?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SwedishRider
In terms of cars, locking and limited slip are used relatively interchangeably. However, Limited Slip is activated via input from the drive shaft and the Locking Differential is via loss of traction on one side or the other. Also, Limited Slip has clutches in it for additional traction, while locking doesn't. This means what a limited slip will only engage all the wheels if it sense a loss of traction (in a sense) to send power to the other wheels, while locking is engaged all the time. Basically, if you have very uneven terrain, you want a locking differential.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by sk1939:

Basically, if you have very uneven terrain, you want a locking differential.

That would be a winner for me then... I have very uneven steep terrain..

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SwedishRider
Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Pacrat:

Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by sk1939:

said by Pacrat:

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.

Yard is just too big... 2.5+ acres of land to mow and trim. The push mower is taking me WAY too much time... sometimes I have to split it up over a couple days in the evenings to get it done.. and I'm spent after that.

I used to use a push mower weekly when I had .25 acre to mow... different story at this point..

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to SwedishRider
I've been told that most of the big box store JD mowers are made by MTD to JD's watered down specs.

The 2000 series Cub Cadet and the 1000 series at the big box stores are also non comparable. The 2000 series blows the 1000's out of the water. I haven't had a spec of trouble with my 5 year old CC 2542 with the Kohler engine, and I'd gladly buy another one.

Our local dealer sells a ton of CC mowers every year, and this in a very heavy John Deere centric area. John Deere's manufacturing facility in Waterloo, IA is less than 30 miles away.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

Husqvarna's YTH24V48LS ($2,800)has a locking differential, which they claim helps on steep hills or wet slopes. It also has the Kawasaki V-twin motor.

Husqvarna's GTH24V52LS ($3,200) does not have the locking differential, but is considered their garden tractor, so you would think it would be the most adept at tougher terrain, but with "limited slip" I would think it wouldn't perform as well on steep inclines. It is listed as designed for ground engaging attachments, but does NOT have a locking differential-this is confirmed on a few websites.

Drive system
YTH24V48LS - GTH24V52LS
Hydrostatic - Hydrostatic (Transmission type)
Tuff Torq - Hydro-Gear (Transmission manufacturer)
Locking differential - Ground engaging (Drive method)
0-5.5 mph - 0-7.8 mph (Speed forward, min-max)
0-2.4 mph - 0-2.1 mph (Speed reverse, min-max)

What gives? Wouldn't I be better off with the less expensive model with the locking differential? Am I thinking about this correctly?

from their website. "

Great product - NON-EXISTENT SERVICE.

June 5, 2012

I live 30 miles from Eugene, Jerry's Home Improvement. Bought this Husqie GTH24V52LS May 15, 2012 and have (2) problems.
1. Parking break lever interferes with foot break linkage.
While pushing the foot pedal down, linkage catches on a plate inside and stops the break from going down, then it snaps off and pedal goes on down to stop the tractor.
SERVICE: Called your 800 number only to find out that there is no service help available from Husqie. Got refered to a local Cottage Grove service shop, only to find out that they,
Horner's Cottage Grove, ONLY service Husqs that they have sold!!!! Instructed by Husq to call Jerry's. Jerry's gave me the name of a shop some 40 miles from me. They told me to bring the tractor in!!! Called Husq back 3rd time. Instructed to call All Seasons Equip., Eugene, OR (20 miles away) they will P/U and Del. for 30 days post purchase. No one to help me make a what should be a simple adjustment to the brake linkage. So I did it myself. It seems that a wiring harness was on the wrong side of the brake linkage causing it to push the link into a metal tab that stopped the links travel. It seems OK now...no thanks to Husqvarna.
2. Mower's middle blade stopped turning. Found that the deck drive belt had jumped off the 2nd blade pulley damaging the new $70 belt. I re-installed the damage belt which has now functioned 3.0 hours on the Hobbes meter.
Called Husqvarna "SERVICE" TOLD SORRY CHARLIE...no belt replacement although this tractor was two weeks old!
(a) take it back to where you bought it.
(b) buy a new belt yourself.
(c) take it yourself to an authorized service shop.
ALL HUSQVARNA SHOULD HAVE DONE AS MAILED ME A NEW BELT!!!! no help...
ACTION TAKEN: called Jerry's Home Improvement, Eugene, OR. Jerry's graciously bought me a new belt...on order. I have to make a 50 miles round trip to pick the belt up when it arrives.
Please respond to me as soon as possible.
LES MOORE
32388 GREEN ACRES LOOP
COTTAGE GROVE OREGON
lesmoore44@msn.com

Pros: ease of assemblyEasy to UseHandling/ManueverabilityQuality ConstructionReduced NoiseQuality CutFeatureslow vibration

Cons: no service tech at your company's 800 service line."
it don't seem good to buy a product that you need to jump hoops to get serviced, does it?.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to UHF
said by UHF:

I've been told that most of the big box store JD mowers are made by MTD to JD's watered down specs.

The 2000 series Cub Cadet and the 1000 series at the big box stores are also non comparable. The 2000 series blows the 1000's out of the water. I haven't had a spec of trouble with my 5 year old CC 2542 with the Kohler engine, and I'd gladly buy another one.

Our local dealer sells a ton of CC mowers every year, and this in a very heavy John Deere centric area. John Deere's manufacturing facility in Waterloo, IA is less than 30 miles away.

*All of JD's 100 series mowers are made by MTD including the ones sold at JD dealers.

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to SwedishRider
I'm going to chime in here with a blurb about motors. I've got a JD push mower, with the Kawasaki engine that is coming on 25 yrs old or more. Starts 2nd pull after winter storage, never had it bog down from not enough power, and seeing the longevity, I've since bought a second one. Both are now in service.

From what peeps are saying, the locking diff is a good thing, I'd add a Kawasaki (or Suzuki) engine, and a reputable dealer, close to you. You never know when you'll need service, and a mower that needs parts and no one has them, is worth nothing. I'm having to push, not ride, in that case.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to SwedishRider
Commercial walk behinds and ZTR riders are ideal for steep landscapes. Why do you think the professionals use them?

Ride on tractors are actually quite dangerous on steep grades.
--
...because I care.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by UHF:

*All of JD's 100 series mowers are made by MTD including the ones sold at JD dealers.

nope, read this. »www.mytractorforum.com/showthrea···t=232704

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

Keep in mind the difference in quality between John Deeres at big box stores and John Deeres at actual dealers. They are not made with the same quality. The same should hold true for Cub Cadet.

Of course, maybe the dealer was just blowing smoke up our ass when we bought ours.

That's incorrect. The JD at Home Depot is the same as the JD at the dealer. The local dealer puts them both together. Years ago they were slightly different.

Home Depot - D100
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···ications

John Deere - D100
»www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/pro···viewTabs

Note the fact they are identical in specs. The same is true with Cub Cadet. It's the same at a box store as the dealer.

In the price point you want a machine JD is the was to go. If you were planning to buy anything under $3,000 CC is the way to go.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
said by Draiman:

In the price point you want a machine JD is the was to go. If you were planning to buy anything under $3,000 CC is the way to go.

What are your thoughts on the $3Kish price point with the Husqvarna tractors?

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider
said by SwedishRider:

said by nunya:

I would look at the following brands ZTR mowers:
#1 Husqvarna, #2 Cub Cadet, #3 Snapper
Personally, I will probably get a "walk behind" with a Velke sulky (stand) next time. Probably an Exmark or Toro.

The only problem with those zero turning radius mowers is that I am on a really steep hill with lots of divots and unusual obstacles... Everywhere I've read, the ZTR mowers are not designed for that type of terrain. They are best when used on flat areas.

Given my application I figure a lower end garden tractor is a good fit- but you are absolutely right that 99% of the time it will be used to cut grass.

If you have some really steep hills the one thing you NEED is a 'locking differential' on the machine. We also have a moderatly steep hill. We tried a $2,000 machine and it took the dealer 4 tries to get up the hill. It was an ideal day with dry ground/grass also. If the ground/grass was wet the mower wouldn't have made it up the hill at all. The dealer said a 'locking differential' will have no issues with the hill. For me that moved the price up to $3,500-4,000 and it wasn't worth it to me. Instead I went with a wide-area walk-behind like the pros use. My local dealer also carries Husqvarna and I asked about the yth24v48ls and he said it would work for me but longevity would be like 5 years. He'd sell me one if I wanted it but strongly recommended a wide-area walk-behind instead. I'm sure you can get a nice wide-area walk-behind with sulky for a lot cheaper then a X500. Same speed and cut wide also.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider
Well I'm apparently in the minority, but I would highly recommend a Simplicity tractor.

I have used various models for many years, and they are excellent machines that are well-built and produce a beautifully manicured look to your yard. My first was a Sovereign, then two different Landlord DLX models. I['d like to make another move up now that I am mowing much more yard where we live now, and for sure it will be another Simplicity, perhaps a Legacy if I can swing it.

»www.simplicitymfg.com/products/y···gacy-xl/

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by mattmag:

Well I'm apparently in the minority, but I would highly recommend a Simplicity tractor.

I have used various models for many years, and they are excellent machines that are well-built and produce a beautifully manicured look to your yard. My first was a Sovereign, then two different Landlord DLX models. I['d like to make another move up now that I am mowing much more yard where we live now, and for sure it will be another Simplicity, perhaps a Legacy if I can swing it.

»www.simplicitymfg.com/products/y···gacy-xl/

Simplicity is a great machine. I own a Simplicity wood chipper. The problem is they come with a great price barrier as well. $9,000+ for the model you linked. That's about double what the OP wants to spend on a machine. Personally I could hire someone to do my lawn for 12-15 years with that amount of cash. For the price that locking diff Husqvarna yth24v48ls is a steal at $2,900 for the OP if a riding mower is the preferred method of mowing.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Commercial walk behinds and ZTR riders are ideal for steep landscapes. Why do you think the professionals use them?

Ride on tractors are actually quite dangerous on steep grades.

I agree about the tractors but I think the ZTR riders are just as dangerous.

When I was a kid, there was a landscaping guy that was killed down the street from my parent's house when the ZTR flipped over and pinned him to the ground. Unfortunately for him, he was mowing grass on a steep hill next to a pond and was pinned underwater.

I would suggest a well-made self propelled walk-behind. I am surprised no one has mentioned Honda. They sure are expensive but my parents still use their 25-year old mower and my 8 year old one works like it was new.
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SwedishRider
This is the type of mower I picked up based on my dealers recommendation due to my steep hill. I ended up getting a 32" cut so the mower could get into more spots and eliminate the need for me to use a string trimmer or 21" mower to get the spots the mowers couldn't reach.

The pictured unit is a Ariens Pro Zoom (48") 16HP Kawasaki Commercial Lawn Mower which runs $3,399 and a sulky is another $200. The sulky is the thing that hooks to the back and pulls you that you stand on.
»www.mowersdirect.com/Ariens-9888···689.html

Here's another one a friend recommended. ($3,849)
»www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···00672177

eagleknight

join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

I would skip the JD and the CC. Neither of which carry the same quality they used to. I have CC now, and it's alright. It's no different than any other lawn mower.

For what you are about to spend, I would take a step back. What are you really going to do with this thing 99% of the time? Cut grass. I would get a grass cutting machine and not a lawn tractor if I had it to do over again. I would look at the following brands ZTR mowers:
Personally, I will probably get a "walk behind" with a Velke sulky (stand) next time. Probably an Exmark or Toro.

I want to spend as little time mowing my weeds as possible. The only thing I hate more than mowing or weed eating is painting.

I would agree mostly with this reply. Do you really need a garden tractor. A zero turn mower is the way to go if you are going to be using it for grass cutting only. I have a Toro z4235. It is a great machine.

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to mattmag
I would second the Simplicity, You don't have to go to the Legacy. A broodmoor or regent would handle mowing fine. »www.simplicitymfg.com/products/l···ractors/

Also watch the Snapper mowers, made by Simplicity, plus the I think the Professional series Craftsmen is currently a Simplicity. So depending on dealer choices you could have some options.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to eagleknight
said by eagleknight:

said by nunya:

I would skip the JD and the CC. Neither of which carry the same quality they used to. I have CC now, and it's alright. It's no different than any other lawn mower.

For what you are about to spend, I would take a step back. What are you really going to do with this thing 99% of the time? Cut grass. I would get a grass cutting machine and not a lawn tractor if I had it to do over again. I would look at the following brands ZTR mowers:

I want to spend as little time mowing my weeds as possible. The only thing I hate more than mowing or weed eating is painting.

I would agree mostly with this reply. Do you really need a garden tractor. A zero turn mower is the way to go if you are going to be using it for grass cutting only. I have a Toro z4235. It is a great machine.

The OP has steep hills so a ZTM is out. They are VERY dangerous on steep hills. Not sure how steep but most people use that for hills between 20 and 30 degrees.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Fronkman
I think the largest mower Honda makes is 21". The OP mentioned "acres" of land, and it appears he is trying to escape from a small mower.
There are some commercial brands that do use Honda engines.

As far as the dangers of power equipment: any piece of power equipment in the wrong hands can be injurious or deadly. People get too comfortable and do stupid things.
--
...because I care.