ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

dslx_nick to Ledgem

ISP Employee

to Ledgem

Re: [DSL] From Verizon to DSL Extreme - Questions

The initial pricing you see on the website is available to new customers in select AT&T areas signing up for a 12-month contract using a dynamic IP, as is stated on the page. You are seeing different pricing because you are not in an AT&T area at all - you're in a Verizon area, as our website realizes once you plug in your street address.

As long as you're using Verizon DSL (using copper lines specifically, not FIOS), then yes: keep your service with Verizon active until after you've switched over to DSL Extreme, to minimize or eliminate downtime. Otherwise, you're looking at about a week or so of downtime.
Ledgem
join:2011-09-30

Ledgem

dslx_nick, I've seen your responses to some of the other threads here. Combined with the fact that you responded on a national holiday is impressive to me (not that I want to encourage you to be a workaholic). After considering CCarson and gbogdanoff's comments, I've decided to switch over. I submitted my order to DSL Extreme a few minutes ago. I presume there will be instructions on when to cut service with Verizon (and what I'm supposed to tell them to cut, if not everything), and instructions on how to convert the service to "dry loop" DSL. If not, you might have a chance to get some kudos from me, Nick

CCarson, I don't know of any way to determine whether line quality monitoring is enabled or disabled other than speed tests. If you were a Verizon customer for a long time, I don't know if it would have affected you, either. I'm not sure that they turned it on for everyone, or if it was only for customers signing on after a certain period and older customers who changed their service plan. I would be curious to know if we're still subject to the line monitoring, since we're technically on Verizon's wires. Any comment, Nick?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Heh. Well, I'm here today (I'll be out ~7pm though, to catch a few burgers before the grill gets cold), but our Orders dept. has the day off so let me get you some info in the meantime.

With regards to the switch to dryloop, in some cases they're able to keep the same phone number identifier for the dryloop line, and in others they have to assign a different 'fake' number to the circuit; our Orders dept. will have more info on that.

With regards to stopping service with Verizon once they've done the switch-over: yeah, there's actually two things to be turned off with Verizon, the voice signal and the DSL billing, and you'll want to handle each a little differently; Orders will provide instructions for each. We'll basically need you to tell Verizon in advance "hey guys, it's ok for DSL Extreme to turn off my voice dial tone", and then after you're switched over you'll need to tell Verizon "please stop billing me for DSL, I've switched providers".

We don't do any sort of automated line monitoring for individual circuits. We don't track usage (no data caps), so we generally just set the max speed to whatever you're provisioned for and leave it alone. We do have traffic monitoring on a more general scale to detect and prevent problems with our servers, congestion, etc., but nothing specific to a single circuit (if we see a server with NO traffic passing through, for example, we know there's a problem). If you call in with a problem, then we'll run individual on-demand line tests on your circuit at that time for troubleshooting purposes, and if we need to we can tweak some of the settings (such as changing the target noise margin to compensate for certain physical factors)... but generally speaking, as long as everything is working properly we don't meddle with it.
Ledgem

Ledgem

Hi Nick,

My internet through Verizon wasn't working as of some time this morning. I changed my PPPoE information to use my DSL Extreme account instead of Verizon and that allowed me to get online. I presume this means that the switch-over is complete.

I have not yet received any emails from DSL Extreme beyond the initial order confirmation and activation date (which is set for 7/13). I know you said that there would be instructions provided for how to terminate my Verizon services; are those going to come soon? I'd like to cancel those services ASAP to decrease the amount they'll bill me for.

My speeds are also slower than expected (and slower than I was getting with Verizon). Is that normal, particularly since the switch just occurred today and since services from Verizon are still active?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

I've got your account here... looks like your activation date is the 13th but we've got you switched over ahead of schedule, so yay. Some of the paperwork hasn't caught up yet, though, so there are still some 'blank areas' that are normally populated, and it doesn't look like the line has re-synced up to full speed yet. That'll probably get done overnight; I'll check on it tomorrow morning, and if it isn't showing full speed by then I'll have a tech get on that for you.

I believe our sales reps usually tell you the instructions directly over the phone when you're placing the order, but at any rate, if you're getting your DSL signal from us now then yes, you can call Verizon and have them stop billing you. Specifically, tell them to *stop billing you because you've switched providers* - don't ask them to 'disconnect my DSL' or 'cancel my DSL' (because if you do that, there's a fair chance someone at Verizon will misunderstand and cut off your DSL from us).

I'd wait at least until tomorrow to call Verizon, make sure you're getting your full speed first.
Ledgem

Ledgem

Thank you for the quick reply! I checked this morning and the speeds are now the same as I was getting from Verizon before (~1.8 mbps down). I had assumed that the speeds were limited due to the automated line quality throttling that Verizon uses, but it may be that this is the limit of what my line can do. That would be disappointing.

I did my order online, so I haven't been in contact with any DSL Extreme personnel aside from you. At this point would it be OK for me to tell them to cancel the dial tone line as well?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

quote:
I did my order online, so I haven't been in contact with any DSL Extreme personnel aside from you. At this point would it be OK for me to tell them to cancel the dial tone line as well?
Ack, no. There's a reason I said they'd give you instructions both before and after. If you want dryloop you need to specify that during your order, so that when our ordering dept. submits the order they can take that into account: We'll basically need you to tell Verizon in advance "hey guys, it's ok for DSL Extreme to turn off my voice dial tone"

I'll have a sales rep get in touch with you with regards to converting to dryloop. Sorry, I didn't realize you'd submitted the order online.