zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

[Info] Citizen Science

Interesting article in Scientific American blogs - Citizen data collection can provide fine-grained data for analysis of weather, climate, crop yields, health of agricultural and natural animals, plants and insects. It has a long history;

... from 1776 to 1816, which includes his two terms as President, Jefferson and many of his recruits (including Lewis and Clark) kept a near complete series of weather observations. Those founding our independent nation had a friendly rivalry with Europeans about who lived on the better continent. But, as relative newcomers to the New World, they had little data to support their claims of superiority. It was Jefferson’s patriotic chip on his shoulder, in a time before meteorologists and climatologists, which caused him to enlist citizens in data collection. ...

»blogs.scientificamerican.com/gue···of-data/

Thanks to Cornell Labs for bringing it to my attention...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

How is this news to anyone????
Before the satellite/dopler era this is the way the NWS operated largely from volunteer observer data reporting to their regional stations... and actually still does in the local realm. There are dozens of reporting weather observers in the FL Keys that input to the Key West NWS station, particularly related to very local important things like waterspouts actually there vs just potential.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by Hayward:

How is this news to anyone????

It's news because we now have a more robust structure for data collection and analysis in CoCoRaHS and other networks. For those present and potential weather hobbyists and fans browsing our forum, I feel it's information worth presenting here, and I found the history to be interesting reading.

However, I'm inconsolably sorry my unworthy post insulted your erudite senses.

As an apology for my inexcusable transgression upon your esteemed presence, I have stripped myself of my shorts and T-shirt in favor of burlap and ashes.

In the spirit of Buddhist monks and in recognition of the Dalai Lama's birthday, I'll immediately go out to the busiest intersection of the nearest city center and slit my throat with a chain saw while in self immolation from a mason jar of bootleg corn whiskey.

My last vision will be of my autographed poster of Tom Skilling, which I have instructed to be buried with my ashes.

Yours in abject shame and remorse,

EG