Search similar:

uniqs
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

2 edits

Anzio

Business(ish) Internet

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the proper location, however I'm going to ask away anyhow.

My folks office needs an internet connection. Nothing fancy, just a connection to the interwebz (though my dad would probably prefer something 4Mbps+). The connection would be used for Instant Messaging, and sending EDI (insurance info), downloading software updates, app updates, and possibly some videos.

Cable + DSL are both available at the location. However, if we could aim for something cheaper than $59.95/month, that'd be great. We are currently on a one-year term with Acanac (ending soon).

I've looked all over the place for alternatives, but most seem to be in the same ballpark with regards to price for business. Some seem excellent (ElectronicBox is one I noticed), and some are outrageous for basic DSL.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Edit- Just adding this in, if they are all $59.95, which company should we lean towards for the best experience? I've heard a lot of good things about Teksavvy, and I'd much rather not sacrifice service/support for ~$10/month
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

despe666

What's wrong with the Acanac connection you have now? They are cheaper than 59.95$ per month if you take the one year contract.
Anzio

Anzio

The connection can be quite sketchy at times. We've already used our first year contract offer up, and they will not provide it for the second year.

If I'm going to pay $59.95 anyway, I may as well jump up to Teksavvy which appears to have a more quality support team.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.
despe666
join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

1 edit

despe666

Are you saying they're refusing to serve your for a second year because of the quality of your line? If that is so, changing DSL providers will not help you, you will get the same line from Bell. I would definitely switch to cable then.
Anzio

Anzio

Sorry, no. Our line quality appears to be 'excellent' on Bells end, as well as what I can see from the modem stats. I think the issue lies somewhere with losing the PPPoE session (modem does not lose sync), something that the office has never had an issue with. They won't provide us with the discount for the second year.

I've talked to Acanac customer support several times and was unsatisfied with every incident. If my monthly fee will be $59.95 with Acanac, I feel like that would be throwing money out the window for sub-par support. I may as well go with Bell/Teksavvy at that price.
Lynn0
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

1 edit

Lynn0 to Anzio

Premium Member

to Anzio
said by Anzio:

The connection can be quite sketchy at times. We've already used our first year contract offer up, and they will not provide it for the second year.

If I'm going to pay $59.95 anyway, I may as well jump up to Teksavvy which appears to have a more quality support team.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

It is not that we are refusing to serve him it is that the promotion is for the first year only. After that you go to regular pricing. If you are having problems with speed etc. and if you want to pm me with name or email on the account I will look to see what is going on with the account.
Anzio

Anzio

Hi Lynn, I will be messaging you (and I had planned to actually earlier) about our line as soon as I can reproduce the problems on the line. You don't know how hard it is to get support to believe you when disconnections are sporadic . I just wanted to make sure we had options available if they were absolutely needed.

I didn't really want to drag Acanac into this discussion and put down their name. The service for the first year was excellent, the support was a little iffy at times (as stated above). I'm not one to come onto forums to try and make a company look bad.

And if you are reading this, and you are considering Acanac- go for it, please don't avoid them because of this post as I am not in any way angry with their service.