Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

Max overage charge going from $50 to $100 in August

Or so the word is. Check your bills, folks. Their "Keeping Pace" site still lists $50.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

I can verify this. I received my bill today!

"To protect you from unexpected high charges, we currently cap the maximum monthly amount you can be charged for additional internet usage at $50 in addition to your Hi-Speed Internet plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. Effective August 16, 2012 this monthly limit will be increased to $100 in addition to your plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. If you exceed the monthly usage allowance included in your Hi-Speed Internet plan you will begin to see charges up to the new limit beginning on your first invoice on or after September 16, 2012. All other aspects of your Rogers service(s) will remain the same. Remember, you can track your internet usage online by signing into My Rogers at rogers.com/myinternetusage. For more information or questions please contact us in any of the ways listed on page 2 of this invoice. Thank you."

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Hooter:

"To protect ensure you from unexpected high charges, we currently cap rape you with the maximum monthly amount you can be charged for additional internet usage at $50 in addition to your Hi-Speed Internet plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. Effective August 16, 2012 this monthly limit will be increased to $100 in addition with free lube to your plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. If you exceed the monthly usage allowance included in your Hi-Speed Internet plan you will begin to see charges up to the new limit beginning on your first invoice on or after September 16, 2012. All other aspects of your Rogers service(s) will remain the same until we feel like charging more. Remember, you can track your internet usage online by signing into My Rogers at rogers.com/myinternetusage. For more information or questions please contact us in any of the ways listed on page 2 of this invoice. Thank you."

I went ahead and fixed that. Sadly, this also affects me.

If only there was a Federal department that oversaw this price increase crap. I mean it's so plainly obvious that Rogers is using this as a money grab since they claim customers use so little on average and yet they feel that they need so much more money.

Well anyway, I guess we'll all be too broke to care now.

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

This is Total BS rogers robbers we pay for $100 line and they want to charge us 100$ for over data usage thats fooken lame fook rogers

its bye bye Kansas 4 sure Fook them

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to Hooter

said by Hooter:

"To protect you from unexpected high charges

If these psychopaths really wanted to em.. protect us they would cut the bandwidth to 5% once it reached cap

Do like me and add an unlimited DSL connection along with your Cable, now that's protection.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to bt

Rogers is really taking the gloves off when it comes to squashing NetFlix. "Netflix Streaming Tops 1 Billion Hours in June" »www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406679,00.asp

Ya know, there's only one way to fight Rogers. Get rid of ALL your Rogers services. Every last one. If thousands of people dump Rogers they MAY get the message. Otherwise Rogers is going to run us into the ground. Rogers just don't give a crap. That is the truth of the matter.

Change requires sacrifice on our part. If we really feel that Rogers is screwing us then we need to put our money where our mouth is. In another service providers pocket.
Otherwise, Rogers is going to stick it to us into eternity and beyond.

Money talks, Bullshit walks..always been that way, always will be.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

said by Hooter:

"To protect ensure you from unexpected high charges, we currently cap rape you with the maximum monthly amount you can be charged for additional internet usage at $50 in addition to your Hi-Speed Internet plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. Effective August 16, 2012 this monthly limit will be increased to $100 in addition with free lube to your plan's monthly service fee, modem rental fee (if applicable) and taxes. If you exceed the monthly usage allowance included in your Hi-Speed Internet plan you will begin to see charges up to the new limit beginning on your first invoice on or after September 16, 2012. All other aspects of your Rogers service(s) will remain the same until we feel like charging more. Remember, you can track your internet usage online by signing into My Rogers at rogers.com/myinternetusage. For more information or questions please contact us in any of the ways listed on page 2 of this invoice. Thank you."

I went ahead and fixed that. Sadly, this also affects me.

If only there was a Federal department that oversaw this price increase crap. I mean it's so plainly obvious that Rogers is using this as a money grab since they claim customers use so little on average and yet they feel that they need so much more money.

Well anyway, I guess we'll all be too broke to care now.

It is comments like yours that I wish there were a "like" button on this page!

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

I've personnally complained to the CRTC about Rogers. They said they can't/won't do anything. Rogers has them in their pocket.

Harper and McGuinty won't do anything. They get 13% HST on every dime you pay to Rogers.

Sell your house, sell your car, sell your dog and give the money to Rogers. It's the Law of the Land.

rogersfail

@rogers.com
reply to bt

Thank goodness Teksavvy is now in my area, will be cancelling my Rogers internet ASAP, it makes no sense to pay $100 in overages when I have Express.

Thank you rogers for giving me the push I needed towards a better internet.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON

Another company to consider.

»start.ca/services/highspeed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to bt

Profit is down, they have to make it up somewhere. I wonder how long before Bell, Telus,Shaw and VTL do this, in the name of symmetry of course.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to Hooter

Tek and Start are relatively good choices except no SLA or responsive support from Rogers and neither of them offer the 75/2 tier.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Profit is down, they have to make it up somewhere.

Yeah, the CEO needs his $5 for his Starbucks latte.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to bt

WOW! Might as well remove the limit.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Dones:

Its one of the things I talked about tonight with David Ellis and his class tonightvat York U.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to bt

IP-TV will soon [within the next 2 years] dominate so Rogers are being proactive in protecting their income streams. IMO we need "real" competition in Canada however I do not see that happening due to the way Canadians have allowed the government to control our markets.

bt

canada
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Tek and Start are relatively good choices except no SLA or responsive support from Rogers and neither of them offer the 75/2 tier.

Rogers has seemed more responsive with Start so far than they have been with TSI, but I don't know that they've really been tested on that yet.

QL0G1C

join:2007-02-20
Concord, ON
reply to mozerd

For 100 bucks I am going to download the entire internet every month to get my moneys worth. if they cancel me so be it, i will just move to a 3rd party. Plus if they cancel me they can't charge the ETF.

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON

said by QL0G1C:

For 100 bucks I am going to download the entire internet every month to get my moneys worth.

your crazy why give Rogers more friggen money they don't want it, just add an unlimited DSL for $40.

BTW Can someone explain the price of bandwidth to me, is there something wrong in my calculations.

When a company like for example Astraweb is selling 1000Gb of NNTP feed for $50. If I divide $50 by 1000Gb I get $0.05/per Gb, or $5 per 100Gb, $25 per 500Gb ect... Now that company must have a cost and be paying for bandwidth of their own going out, so if bandwidth is so damm expensive how in the world are they selling NNTP feeds bandwidth included and making a profit at $0.05/per Gb.

What does that say for the price of bandwidth per Gb in general for the scam that it is ?

bt

canada

said by Stewy:

BTW Can someone explain the price of bandwidth to me, is there something wrong in my calculations.

Astraweb needs to worry about a backbone connection. Rogers needs to worry about local bandwidth, a backhaul, then a backbone connection. More things to worry about means more costs.

...but we all know it's not about cost recovery for Rogers. If it were about cost recover, overages wouldn't be $0.50/GB on Extreme and $4/GB on Lite. Even with being as generous to Rogers motives as possible, the caps are ostensibly about bandwidth planning and the overages are punitive measures to get people to stick to those caps.

Which brings us back to the cost comparison. While it surely costs Rogers more to transfer 1GB to you than it costs AstraWeb, I doubt it's 10 times as much like what they're charging on Ultimate, let alone the 80 times as much they charge for overages on Lite.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by mlerner:

Rogers has seemed more responsive with Start so far than they have been with TSI, but I don't know that they've really been tested on that yet.

Since start is using the new aggregated pipe, maybe some things are easier since Rogers controls the links end to end with the IISPs. But in the long run we'll have to see about support with modem provisioning, congested links etc.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Dones

said by Dones:

That will happen, soon enough.

Cogeco has already done it, and it didn't take long for "the bill" to show up in the Cogeco forums.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada
reply to bt

Just when i was excited about getting 75/10, Teksavvy's unlimited 28/1 doesn't look so bad now

You'll reach the $100 cap if you download more than 450GB; when this comes into effect, i'm going to run usenet in a cyclical manner where it will just download/delete large files in a loop

I will try to do atleast 20TB/mth just to stick it to them
--
All hail Conservative Overlords!

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to bt

said by bt:

Astraweb needs to worry about a backbone connection. Rogers needs to worry about local bandwidth, a backhaul, then a backbone connection. More things to worry about means more costs.

...but we all know it's not about cost recovery for Rogers. If it were about cost recover, overages wouldn't be $0.50/GB on Extreme and $4/GB on Lite. Even with being as generous to Rogers motives as possible, the caps are ostensibly about bandwidth planning and the overages are punitive measures to get people to stick to those caps.

Which brings us back to the cost comparison. While it surely costs Rogers more to transfer 1GB to you than it costs AstraWeb, I doubt it's 10 times as much like what they're charging on Ultimate, let alone the 80 times as much they charge for overages on Lite.

ok so it all goes back to the equation of maximum return on investment through maximum customer tolerance.

In other words why build a second backbone when you can oversell the first one by 1000% and get away with it. For every dollar they make most likely 80% is pure profit, God forbid if it fell to 60% by building more backbones.

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to iFly55

said by iFly55:

I will try to do atleast 20TB/mth just to stick it to them

and they'll laugh all the way to the bank because they truly don't care how much you download. If you want to "stick it them" do like I do and spend your money on an independent ISP instead.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to QL0G1C

said by QL0G1C:

For 100 bucks I am going to download the entire internet every month to get my moneys worth. if they cancel me so be it, i will just move to a 3rd party. Plus if they cancel me they can't charge the ETF.

You really want to give rogers almost $200 for what others are getting for less than $50?

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to QL0G1C

said by QL0G1C:

... if they cancel me so be it, i will just move to a 3rd party. Plus if they cancel me they can't charge the ETF.

Re-read your contact. You're on-hook for ETF
--
»speedtest.net/result/2032867059.png

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to bt

I know one thing I have 1 more year of contract with Rogers and I can Guarantee that I will not renew if this happens I called rogers tech support and they haven't Heard of anything yet ..But if they do I will lower my plan and get some else and then when times comes to renew my contract its bye bye and I hope that a lot of Roger costumers will do the same

Stewy
Premium
Kitchener, ON

said by dabonz:

I know one thing I have 1 more year of contract with Rogers and I can Guarantee that I will not renew if this happens I called rogers tech support and they haven't Heard of anything yet ..But if they do I will lower my plan and get some else and then when times comes to renew my contract its bye bye and I hope that a lot of Roger costumers will do the same

same here, I just have a few months on my cell and I'm taking everything out, cell, tv, internet, everything. Charging me $0.35/min on incoming calls from across the street is was the last straw.

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
reply to bt

Spread the word on twitter

If you use twitter give them hell and spread the word that @RogersHelps only help themselves to more money by screwing their own customers.