spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Omni
join:2001-12-03
Iowa

Omni

[IA] Ultra50 through Linksys Router; Bad Speed

Running Ultra50 through the modem directly to my computer yields correct speeds. Running it through my router yields ~20 down and correct up speeds.

Router is a Linksys WRT54GL, I have upgraded the firmware. I suspect the problem IS the router, and that I need to get a new one, but I am not completely sure. Is it a problem on my end, Mediacom's end, or somewhere in between?
basenji8
join:2006-11-02
Waconia, MN

basenji8

If you speeds are fine without the router then it is clearly your router. Not to mention that router is as old as dirt.
chadwik
join:2002-02-02
Waterloo, IA

chadwik

You will not be able to utilize Ultra50 fully on an old router. You need to upgrade to a good gigabit router.

Omni
Iowa

Omni

Weird. I mean, I'm connected to it via wire, not wireless. It should be able to handle it, right?
chadwik
join:2002-02-02
Waterloo, IA

chadwik

no, that router will not be fast enough. The hardware will not be able to. If you turn off as much options as you can, you might see a bit more speed, but I would not count on it.

I ended up building a new router box with 10/1000 nics with a P4, and plenty of memory using pfsense to utilize U50 fully. All of my 54g routers in my collection were not up to the task.

Omni
Iowa

Omni

Interesting. Alrighty. Thanks for the advice.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to Omni

Anon

to Omni
The WRT54G and the older GL are not capable of performing routing at speeds over about 8-10mb/sec, because of the ancient CPU chipset. A newer router will resolve your issue.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy :

The WRT54G and the older GL are not capable of performing routing at speeds over about 8-10mb/sec, because of the ancient CPU chipset. A newer router will resolve your issue.

im sorry but, 8 - 10? no sorry, ive had a wrt54gl running tomato for years. when i had VIP these where my results...

speedtest.net

samknows also put my "burst" upwards of 30mbps..

samknows

now im not saying the OP will get 50Mbps, but to say the hardware cant even handle 10Mbps is frankly false. the OP should load up tomato »www.polarcloud.com/tomato/ IF they are comfortable risking bricking the router. (ive never had that happen but it is still a risk)

that said i admit i only ran the stock firmware on it long enough to flash on tomato, so i honestly have no idea if the stock linksys firmware can handle it or not. but the hardware isnt limiting it to "8 - 10mbs"

EDIT: the low end of that graph is when i dropped down to "intro"

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

The stock Linksys firmware can't do over 8-10. Tomato and DDWRT overclock the CPU and can perform faster because of this. Running those violate the warranty on the router, however and is highly not recommended unless you like tinkering with settings every day.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy :

The stock Linksys firmware can't do over 8-10. Tomato and DDWRT overclock the CPU and can perform faster because of this. Running those violate the warranty on the router, however and is highly not recommended unless you like tinkering with settings every day.

every day? really? broad statements again. the last time i logged in to tinker with settings was several months ago when i was reconfiguring my LAN to put the samknows POS router in to bridge... tinkering with settings may be true for DDWRT (never used it, i dont like the way they handle certain license, but thats a different discussion entirely) with tomato its been set it and forget it. and while DDWRT lets you OC i doubt tomato does it "out of the box" (looks like tomato USB a different branch does O/C the cpu by 25% ,, with a quick google i see nothing about tomato doing it out of the box)

yes, they do violate the warranty (i should have pointed that out in my other post, sorry about that) but if the op is going to be buying a new router any way, it cant hurt to try out tomato, hell if any thing op can keep the wrt54gl with tomato as a repeater if they wish (unless there switching to full N wifi)

Omni
Iowa

Omni to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas
I looked into the tomato firmware, but it still wouldn't make up ~30meg. Got an Asus rt-n66u on the way.
SeaFoam
join:2009-05-20

SeaFoam

»www.ubnt.com/unifi

You want fast, solid wireless. That's it.
TheGiant50
join:2010-03-05

TheGiant50 to Omni

to Omni
I assume that you have the cisco dpc 3000 modem since you have ultra 50...

It is required by the specs of cisco that your router have a gigabit port to support the full speed of the ultra 50.

This is not a question of if your current router can support it or not, it is strictly that the DPC3000 will only go faster than ~27mb if it is connected via gigabit.

I wish mediacom would train their staff to tell people this and save them the headache.
OverUtilized
join:2011-03-30
Traer, IA

OverUtilized to Omni

to Omni
Is your router for sale then? I would like one of those "Old as Dirt" routers.