spc
uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Re: Garden Tractors: Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere.. Others?

What is the difference between a tractor that has a locking differential and one that doesn't. Is that like a car that has posi-traction vs a car that has limited slip?

Husqvarna's YTH24V48LS ($2,800)has a locking differential, which they claim helps on steep hills or wet slopes. It also has the Kawasaki V-twin motor.

Husqvarna's GTH24V52LS ($3,200) does not have the locking differential, but is considered their garden tractor, so you would think it would be the most adept at tougher terrain, but with "limited slip" I would think it wouldn't perform as well on steep inclines. It is listed as designed for ground engaging attachments, but does NOT have a locking differential-this is confirmed on a few websites.

Drive system
YTH24V48LS - GTH24V52LS
Hydrostatic - Hydrostatic (Transmission type)
Tuff Torq - Hydro-Gear (Transmission manufacturer)
Locking differential - Ground engaging (Drive method)
0-5.5 mph - 0-7.8 mph (Speed forward, min-max)
0-2.4 mph - 0-2.1 mph (Speed reverse, min-max)

What gives? Wouldn't I be better off with the less expensive model with the locking differential? Am I thinking about this correctly?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

It depends on how steep of a grade your hill is.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

What is the difference between a tractor that has a locking differential and one that doesn't. Is that like a car that has posi-traction vs a car that has limited slip?

Exactly! If you don't have the locking differential in one wheel starts spinning you're stuck! With the locking differential the other wheel will still have traction. This is especially important for hills and snow removal if you intend on using it for that.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

It depends on how steep of a grade your hill is.

Can you explain that a bit better? I'm on a really steep set of hills, don't know how to describe the topography other than to say really steep hills.
XXXXXXXXXXX1

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Exactly! If you don't have the locking differential in one wheel starts spinning you're stuck! With the locking differential the other wheel will still have traction. This is especially important for hills and snow removal if you intend on using it for that.

So knowing this, I would be better with the tractors with a locking differential given that I am on steep hills and might use it for light snow removal. Is that correct?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
In terms of cars, locking and limited slip are used relatively interchangeably. However, Limited Slip is activated via input from the drive shaft and the Locking Differential is via loss of traction on one side or the other. Also, Limited Slip has clutches in it for additional traction, while locking doesn't. This means what a limited slip will only engage all the wheels if it sense a loss of traction (in a sense) to send power to the other wheels, while locking is engaged all the time. Basically, if you have very uneven terrain, you want a locking differential.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

Basically, if you have very uneven terrain, you want a locking differential.

That would be a winner for me then... I have very uneven steep terrain..

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Pacrat:

Take this for what it's worth, but if your landscape is that steep, I'd stay the hell away from any riding mower that you sit up on (tractor). I would be looking for a self-propelled walk-behind mower instead. I have seen some ZTR mowers that allowed for a much lower center of gravity. The only reason I have a Cub Cadet riding tractor is to make use of having the big sno-blower mounted to the front. For just mowing, I much prefer my walk behind.

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

said by Pacrat:

+1 (depending on the size of your yard). Parents have a hilly yard that is a 1/2 acre and the Husqvarna I just got them works wonders. Riding mowers also have the tendency to miss things if your not careful.

Yard is just too big... 2.5+ acres of land to mow and trim. The push mower is taking me WAY too much time... sometimes I have to split it up over a couple days in the evenings to get it done.. and I'm spent after that.

I used to use a push mower weekly when I had .25 acre to mow... different story at this point..
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

Husqvarna's YTH24V48LS ($2,800)has a locking differential, which they claim helps on steep hills or wet slopes. It also has the Kawasaki V-twin motor.

Husqvarna's GTH24V52LS ($3,200) does not have the locking differential, but is considered their garden tractor, so you would think it would be the most adept at tougher terrain, but with "limited slip" I would think it wouldn't perform as well on steep inclines. It is listed as designed for ground engaging attachments, but does NOT have a locking differential-this is confirmed on a few websites.

Drive system
YTH24V48LS - GTH24V52LS
Hydrostatic - Hydrostatic (Transmission type)
Tuff Torq - Hydro-Gear (Transmission manufacturer)
Locking differential - Ground engaging (Drive method)
0-5.5 mph - 0-7.8 mph (Speed forward, min-max)
0-2.4 mph - 0-2.1 mph (Speed reverse, min-max)

What gives? Wouldn't I be better off with the less expensive model with the locking differential? Am I thinking about this correctly?

from their website. "

Great product - NON-EXISTENT SERVICE.

June 5, 2012

I live 30 miles from Eugene, Jerry's Home Improvement. Bought this Husqie GTH24V52LS May 15, 2012 and have (2) problems.
1. Parking break lever interferes with foot break linkage.
While pushing the foot pedal down, linkage catches on a plate inside and stops the break from going down, then it snaps off and pedal goes on down to stop the tractor.
SERVICE: Called your 800 number only to find out that there is no service help available from Husqie. Got refered to a local Cottage Grove service shop, only to find out that they,
Horner's Cottage Grove, ONLY service Husqs that they have sold!!!! Instructed by Husq to call Jerry's. Jerry's gave me the name of a shop some 40 miles from me. They told me to bring the tractor in!!! Called Husq back 3rd time. Instructed to call All Seasons Equip., Eugene, OR (20 miles away) they will P/U and Del. for 30 days post purchase. No one to help me make a what should be a simple adjustment to the brake linkage. So I did it myself. It seems that a wiring harness was on the wrong side of the brake linkage causing it to push the link into a metal tab that stopped the links travel. It seems OK now...no thanks to Husqvarna.
2. Mower's middle blade stopped turning. Found that the deck drive belt had jumped off the 2nd blade pulley damaging the new $70 belt. I re-installed the damage belt which has now functioned 3.0 hours on the Hobbes meter.
Called Husqvarna "SERVICE" TOLD SORRY CHARLIE...no belt replacement although this tractor was two weeks old!
(a) take it back to where you bought it.
(b) buy a new belt yourself.
(c) take it yourself to an authorized service shop.
ALL HUSQVARNA SHOULD HAVE DONE AS MAILED ME A NEW BELT!!!! no help...
ACTION TAKEN: called Jerry's Home Improvement, Eugene, OR. Jerry's graciously bought me a new belt...on order. I have to make a 50 miles round trip to pick the belt up when it arrives.
Please respond to me as soon as possible.
LES MOORE
32388 GREEN ACRES LOOP
COTTAGE GROVE OREGON
lesmoore44@msn.com

Pros: ease of assemblyEasy to UseHandling/ManueverabilityQuality ConstructionReduced NoiseQuality CutFeatureslow vibration

Cons: no service tech at your company's 800 service line."
it don't seem good to buy a product that you need to jump hoops to get serviced, does it?.