uniqs

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed

Premium Member

Never thought...

...it would happen - found out our area has been upgraded to Turbo 25! Woot! So much for 3mbps, its only been about 9yrs, but I was happy to have high speed of any sort.

The CSR did say that a POTS splitter would need to be installed, so installation doesn't happen until August 9th. Is a POTS splitter a typical part of an install? I understand they'll minimize line noise, just hadn't heard this before.

JammerMan79
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

JammerMan79

Premium Member

It's typically done for 25 meg services... Happy to hear you're getting upgraded

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf

Holy crap, I just checked and they upgraded my area too. It was 2HD/1SD for a long time, now it's 3HD/1SD!

I wonder if something happened to my line, I used to get 14mbit, and lately it's been around 10 (different speedtest servers.) Haven't done one in a few weeks now though.

I suppose Telus still has a non bridgeable modem for 25mbit right? I don't know if I want to upgrade then, I have a good router that doesn't choke.

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed

Premium Member

I found a few Actiontechs for cheap, to play with setting up with TelusFW's firmware, NCS firmware and using them as bridged modems. Not only but I was fortunate enough to find an Alcatel! So, my internal network will stay as it is, thank goodness.

The timing on the infrastructure upgrade was perfect - I seem to be doing more and larger downloads as of late, but having to walk away and do something else while the files come down.

Yea, Telus!
yvrwindsor
join:2008-04-28
Vancouver

yvrwindsor to jed

to jed
Another advantage of a POTS splitter is you don't have to put an adsl filter on every outlet that is connected to a device.

Also, if the alarm unit calls the monitoring company, your high speed is not interrupted. (should note, depending on install.)
encircle
join:2006-08-20

encircle to jed

to jed
Just contacted Telus through their online chat but they said their systems were under maintenance and they couldn't check my account until noon tomorrow.

I'm hoping I can finally upgrade from the 3mbps plan we've been on for years. I think when we signed up with Telus ~10 years ago we started with a 2.5mbps plan, haven't come far since then.

I don't suppose anyone has heard of any upgrades in Salmon Arm?