LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: Garden Tractors: Husqvarna, Cub Cadet, John Deere.. Others?

Commercial walk behinds and ZTR riders are ideal for steep landscapes. Why do you think the professionals use them?

Ride on tractors are actually quite dangerous on steep grades.

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman

Premium Member

said by nunya:

Commercial walk behinds and ZTR riders are ideal for steep landscapes. Why do you think the professionals use them?

Ride on tractors are actually quite dangerous on steep grades.

I agree about the tractors but I think the ZTR riders are just as dangerous.

When I was a kid, there was a landscaping guy that was killed down the street from my parent's house when the ZTR flipped over and pinned him to the ground. Unfortunately for him, he was mowing grass on a steep hill next to a pond and was pinned underwater.

I would suggest a well-made self propelled walk-behind. I am surprised no one has mentioned Honda. They sure are expensive but my parents still use their 25-year old mower and my 8 year old one works like it was new.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

I think the largest mower Honda makes is 21". The OP mentioned "acres" of land, and it appears he is trying to escape from a small mower.
There are some commercial brands that do use Honda engines.

As far as the dangers of power equipment: any piece of power equipment in the wrong hands can be injurious or deadly. People get too comfortable and do stupid things.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Fronkman

Premium Member

to Fronkman
I had a riding mower flip on me once.. I was in my early teens and I took it up a slight incline and with the motor being in the rear (can't remember the brand) it flipped... Lucky for me I jumped out of the seat just before I felt the balance get crazy.

scary how it happened so fast.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium Member
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA

Daarken

Premium Member

A friend of mine lost his sister due to the riding mower flipping and pinning her underwater while she was mowing near a ditch.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Wow that's very sad a ditch was near by but maybe like 50 ft or so away but it was never full of water.. I think it was more for run-off.