uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

MP3 Player Vs. iPod

What do you like the best MP3 player or an iPod?
I love MP3 player(s). Why? No additional software required, can use any MP3 management software, low cost.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Haven't had an iPod in years (since shortly after the first iPhone came out). I now have an iPhone 4 and and iPad 2, both are better than an mp3 player but they're designed to do way more, after all.

I also have a "dumb" mp3 player that I actually use for borrowing audiobooks from my library -- some of those audiobooks are in drm/wmv format and won't work (easily/quickly) on iOS devices. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't own one at all.

So as always, it comes down to selecting the right tool for what you need/want. In my case, I'd never be happy with just an iPod or just an mp3 player

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Oleg

who uses either?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by 88615298:

who uses either?

With well over 300 million iPods sold world wide and nearly as many mp3 players sold, it is safe to assume that a few people use an iPod or mp3 player.

DJ P Plus

@rogers.com

i prefer the generic mp3 player, for the simple fact i use multiple computers and cant afford to waste time installing crappy itunes on every computer.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

said by DJ P Plus :

i prefer the generic mp3 player, for the simple fact i use multiple computers and cant afford to waste time installing crappy itunes on every computer.

I agree with you %100 on that. I have SanDisk Sansa Fuze 4 GB Video, MP3 Player »www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Vid···015L0T68 and i love the dam thing. The sound quality is great as well. Oh yea storage space, hm let me think 160GB of storage who in the word would need that much? OK maybe people who travel a lot, and want to watch videos.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Oleg

Mostly I would go for the mp3 player. I do have an ipod as well.

The mp3 unit I have is an RCA device. 5gb. It is nice as it handles mp3 and wav files which are what I only use. It has a standard USB connection and I can just drag and drop files in and out of the unit directly from windows OS. It is similar to ipod in operation in that it has a "wheel" although it is a mechanical wheel with a center button and also a seperate menu button. You can scroll through your music in a similar fashion to the ipod with sorting by artist, album, personal playlists and such. The one thing that it does that I sometimes don't like is that when you turn it off and the turn it on again later it "reboots" back to the beginning.

The ipod on the other hand when turned off and on again will be right where you left off, right in the middle of a song or what ever. Sometimes that is nice if I am trying to listen to a long track or maybe an entire album.

I don't like the ipod for trying to manage what is on it. For the most part you are stuck with itunes to put music on it.

Perhaps I use it with the wrong intention. I see most people will place their music on it and then never remove it. It becomes their entire library.

I only use the device to hold what I am listening to for the time being. Then I delete some or all and put other stuff on. I constantly am changing the content of my device. This is why the drag and drop is perfect on the RCA unit.

With the ipod it is like this epic journey to simply add a single song for today because I need to create this library, then add the song to the library, the update the ipod with the library yad yada yada.

Also the RCA unit is like 7 years old, has oodles of hours on it, and the battery still lasts for 10 plus hours. The ipod on the other hand is a couple of years newer, has been used significantly less and the battery craps out after a few short hours.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

said by 88615298:

who uses either?

With well over 300 million iPods sold world wide and nearly as many mp3 players sold, it is safe to assume that a few people use an iPod or mp3 player.

A) I don't give 2 shits what some dude in Poland bought.

B) This year 300 million?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by 88615298:

said by drslash:

said by 88615298:

who uses either?

A) I don't give 2 shits what some dude in Poland bought.

B) This year 300 million?

Who said anything about what some dude in Poland bought.

300 million sold as of last year since the iPod was introduced.

You 'who uses either?' implies that almost nobody uses an iPod or mp3 player. That is a ridiculous claim given the sales of both types of players.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to Oleg

We all hate iTunes so for those who do not know there is an alternative to iTunes called MediaMonkey »www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/

Premium
West Tenness
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

Who said anything about what some dude in Poland bought.

You said worldwide. I care about US. So what goes on elsewhere I don't give 2 shits about. Let's keep the discussion to USA or USA/Canada if you wish.

300 million sold as of last year since the iPod was introduced.

Once again has NOTHING to do with NOW. Of course millions were sold at first. How many are being bought NOW? Not many.

You 'who uses either?' implies that almost nobody uses an iPod or mp3 player. That is a ridiculous claim given the sales of both types of players.

I'm implying the most people have cell phones which can be used as MP3 players so why buy a dedicated one?

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Oleg

I personally prefer a separate mp3 player to using a phone. Why? Because the mp3 players batteries last around 40 hours and also this use doesn't run down the phone. Also as a frequest gym users I want top keep my phone free from too much damage/dropping and sweat!

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

most people have cell phones which can be used as MP3 players so why buy a dedicated one?

For someone who is heavily into music, it can be well worth having a dedicated device.

Battery life: mp3 player lasts me a couple of weeks of typical use; smartphone, less than a day - and that's WITHOUT using it for music.
Storage: For $250 I have a high-end mp3 player with 64GB of flash memory; for a phone with 64GB you're talking $800+ and you have to share the memory with apps, etc.
Music-related features: my mp3 player has better EQ, better codec support, better sound quality, etc. than pretty much any smartphone.

For a casual music listener, sure, a phone will do fine. But for a hardcore music listener, not so much.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Oleg

I use a Creative Zen Style.

I bought this for a couple reasons, first off it has built-in bluetooth. This was very important to me since I mainly use is at the gym, when biking and I absolutely hate wearing wired headphones when working out.

Second but just as important reason, it is not an Apple product.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/