Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to pnjunction

Re: [Rant] Broken AC barely a year old

What is the brand/model of air conditioner.
Is it a window unit?

It it is a normal air conditioner with a wall mounted thermostat you can buy your own digital one and swap them back when you move out.
That is what I do while renting.

My parents had their air condition going 17 years with no issues before they sold their house.
It only need to be fixed once as the circuit board got wet from a clogged drain (poor design that the drip pan was installed with the low spot to the drain hose connection right above the circuit board). I manually bypassed the board to turn on the air conditioner manually and bought a new control board online for $80 and swapped it out.

In college I had Haier cheap air conditioner for a 10 x 10 foot room. One day it just make a loud pop and stopped working. I exchanged it at home depot for a new one, but people make air conditioners with bad/poor designs.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

The unit is built in to the condo, hooked into a central heating/cooling system.

Yeah I have been tempted to see if I can swap the thermostat for something with a timer/schedule. Looks like they can be had for $40-50 bucks if they are compatible with this thing. Maybe I'll look into it when I'm not so busy at work.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

If you dont have the manual you can probably find it onlinee easily to get a wiring diagram, but the wires should be the standard colors anyways.
»z.about.com/w/experts/Heating-Ai···am_4.png
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

The unit is built in to the condo, hooked into a central heating/cooling system.

Yeah I have been tempted to see if I can swap the thermostat for something with a timer/schedule. Looks like they can be had for $40-50 bucks if they are compatible with this thing. Maybe I'll look into it when I'm not so busy at work.

I ran into this issue several years ago when I wanted to replace the thermostat in my condo with something that I could program.

The issue is the *voltage* of the thermostat, it's not your standard 12V system but a 24V system (at least in my case) and no one even *makes* a 24V programmable thermostat that I could find (In Canada anyways)

As to the A/C sytem crapping out after only a year, you should follow up with the unit owner because if the unit is newly built Ontario's TARION New Home Warranty should have covered that.

NefCanuck

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

One day it just make a loud pop and stopped working.

That was most likely the start capacitor popping open, which they will do on occasion. This is a cheap and easily replaced part, but many of them these days are sourced from China and just don't last as long as they should.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

Still I'm going to be sleeping in a puddle of sweat tonight as it is 80F/27C in here.

80F? that is not even that hot.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to pnjunction

I got two 5,000(ish?) BTU GoldStar (with "made by LG Electronics" sticker on them LOL) window units for ~$150 at Wally World about a dozen or so years ago. Left one at my last place when it was sold and brought a second with me to the new house. The one I brought is still alive n' kicking and cooling well, but the front coils completely froze up on me a few mornings this summer here in NE Ohio. The filter's clean and the front coil fins appear to be clean and the inside fan seems to be spinning at the proper speed. It hasn't frozen up the last few days I've used it.

EDIT: We also left at my old place a 1978 10,000 BTU Gibson Air Sweep casement unit that I got used in 1990 for $150ish. I remember it blowing a fuse once or twice back in the early 90's, but otherwise it still worked fine through my last summer at that place (2009). The plug and cord did feel warm though since it was sucking 12 amps through a switched 110V non-dedicated outlet (I know, I know, bad bad bad, but that was the outlet under the window), so warm in fact that the plug melted near the prongs.

The only maintenance I did to the Gibson was to clean the filter, and maybe clean the coil fins a bit, when it was placed in the living room window every year at the start of summer (or a little before). I don't miss the chore of having the get that thing in and out of the window every year (needed two people to lift it). Those 70's Gibsons were tanks!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

said by pnjunction:

Still I'm going to be sleeping in a puddle of sweat tonight as it is 80F/27C in here.

80F? that is not even that hot.

Agreed! I'll let the place get to 32C (90F) before I break down and turn the unit on. Of course, at night, I have a secondary unit which cools the room to a bone chilling 18C (64F). Reminds me of winter....when sleeping is always a pleasure.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein