birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

dual monitor configuration

apparently I seem to have screwed something up with my dual monitor setup. I've settled on LInux mint KDE version and after initial install all was well. AFter running "additional drivers" i updated the nvidia drivers listed. that has now forever given me the same display on both monitors. I've tried reactivating the drivers, but there is no option to "deactivate" or remove (or I just cant find the option). I'd like to just go back to the default if i could but I can't figure it out and reading numerous google results seem to be making my problem worse.

in the system settings for display and monitor, the size an orientation part keeps cloning the monitors (soon as I apply it just goes back to cloning), and the multiple monitor part says I dont have the configuration (and some point I did). It worked fine before updating the drivers

any ideas?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Which distro? Have you tried using the NVIDIA X Server Settings application to configure your monitors?

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to pcdebb

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:
apparently I seem to have screwed something up with my dual monitor setup. I've settled on LInux mint KDE version and after initial install all was well. any ideas?
Since your using KMint... check under System Settings, Hardware, Display, Multiple Montors

KDE may be overiding what the nVidia driver is trying to do.

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

firephoto to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
If your nvidia isn't too old and you update to the 302 nvidia drivers, 302.17 is the very latest, you get xrandr support which means the "system settings" display config works properly with the nvidia drivers. I tested it and kde and it does control the output properly.

Here's some release notes relevant to multiple displays too from the 302 release notes. Most likely with just the driver upgrade it will just work now since they automatically enable the extra displays and at the least you select it in the system settings. You'll probably need to add one of the ubuntu ppa's, I think this is the one for "stable" updates.

Added X driver support for RandR 1.2 and RandR 1.3. See "Support for the X Resize and Rotate Extension" in the README for details.
Extended the MetaMode X configuration option syntax with the following new attributes:
Rotation : specifies the display device's rotation
Reflection : specifies the display device's reflection
Transform : specifies a 3x3 transformation matrix to be applied to the display device
ViewPortOut : specifies the region of the mode in which to display pixels
ViewPortIn : specifies the size of the region in the X screen to display in the ViewPortOut

For example, "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select { Rotation=left }". See "Configuring Multiple Display Devices on One X Screen" in the README for details.
Removed the TwinView X configuration option; the functionality it provided is now enabled by default.

Previously, the NVIDIA X driver only enabled one display device for an X screen unless TwinView was enabled. Now, the NVIDIA X driver enables, by default, as many display devices as the GPU supports driving simultaneously. To limit how many display devices are driven by an X screen, use the UseDisplayDevice X configuration option.
Added a CurrentMetaMode attribute to the nvidia-settings command line, to query and set the current MetaMode.

As an example, these two commands are equivalent:

xrandr --output DVI-I-2 --mode 1280x1024 --pos 0x0 --output DVI-I-3 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 1280x0

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DVI-I-2: 1280x1024 +0+0, DVI-I-3: 1920x1200 +1280+0"

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

Which distro? Have you tried using the NVIDIA X Server Settings application to configure your monitors?

at one point I had the dialog but now it's gone. when i did have it there was no options to change. my video card is ATI based. does that matter?
pcdebb

pcdebb to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

said by pcdebb:
apparently I seem to have screwed something up with my dual monitor setup. I've settled on LInux mint KDE version and after initial install all was well. any ideas?
Since your using KMint... check under System Settings, Hardware, Display, Multiple Montors

KDE may be overiding what the nVidia driver is trying to do.

that screen says I dont have the configuration for multiple monitors. at one point I did and had a bunch of stuff on this screen
pcdebb

pcdebb to firephoto

Premium Member

to firephoto
i tried updating a ppa, but dont know which one, I will try the one at the link you provided when I get in from work. thank you.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

my video card is ATI based. does that matter?

The PPA supplied by firephoto See Profile has ATI drivers as well.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

AFter running "additional drivers" i updated the nvidia drivers listed.

said by pcdebb:

my video card is ATI based.

Could you clarify? Try running the following

lspci

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

Yea, I missed the second part where ATI was mentioned. Maybe an onboard chip and an installed nvidia card.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

i dont remember if i had onboard video, but I know I'm not using it. I checked the specs of the card and it says ATI

this is what I have

i'm home now so i'm gonna see what you guys can help me with. I am very appreciative for all of your help
pcdebb

pcdebb to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

said by pcdebb:

AFter running "additional drivers" i updated the nvidia drivers listed.

said by pcdebb:

my video card is ATI based.

Could you clarify? Try running the following

lspci

alot of stuff showed up, but I think this the only thing you are asking about
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 LE [Radeon HD 3450]

pcdebb

pcdebb

Premium Member

looks like I may have added the ppa, this is what it told me when I added it

Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /tmp/tmp.NTlqxaJwd6 --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80/ --recv 643DC6BD56580CEB1AB4A9F63B22AB97AF1CDFA9
gpg: requesting key AF1CDFA9 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key AF1CDFA9: "Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu-X" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: unchanged: 1

pcdebb

pcdebb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
a couple of screenshots. On the first ss, it has the monitors labeled funny. Before the changes, it labeled the first monitor as DVI and the second one as VGA (I think). where it says "clone of" I change it to "right of" and when I click apply, it just goes right back. monitor identification is wierd too.

the second ss shows the message about not having the configuration. before the changes it was a bunch of stuff there.

I do remember back in the day making some changes to a conf file about the two monitors or doing something with that file to make the monitors work properly. then later versions handled it right. I'm thinking i put the wrong drivers on and it borked something.
pcdebb

pcdebb

Premium Member

Click for full size
so i was retracing my steps and doing alot of reading. I went back to "additional drivers" and saw that one of the nvidia drivers was still activated, so I removed/deactivated it and reboot. I got the following screen and it just stayed there. forever.

one thing I found out is that the ATI cards are more or less not really supported anymore, the card itself is over three years old, so it may be time for an upgrade. that might solve ALOT of the issues I've had dealing with video/monitors