Search similar:

uniqs
ttcole1254
join:2009-07-07
Saint Cloud, FL

4 edits

ttcole1254

[Internet] Lightning Internet Corruption

Lately we've been having some corruption on our connection that was just installed a few months ago. We upgraded from EarthLink High Speed triple bundle to RoadRunner Lightning triple bundle with two whole house moca DVR boxes. Right now for connecting, we have one modem (scientific atlanta), one modem/router (motorola) and our cisco e2000 wireless router. Because the modem they gave us for lightning didn't have phone support, they used a splitter to split the connection to the two modems. We have our own router connected to theirs, but I don't believe theirs is in bridge mode.

Anyway, the corruption seems to only happen on downloading large files, specifically more than 100 mb. The md5 sums match every once in a while if you're lucky but usually they never match. At first, thinking it was our router, I connected the computer directly to the modem, and there was no change. It's gotten worse over time I think also, as now it's very hard to get a good copy of something.

I did call BrightHouse a few days ago, and they assured me that the levels were good and it wasn't their problem. They tried to convince me that I was having router issues, and when I told them that I removed our router, they were telling me that I had a computer problem, and when I said I tried different computers, they were saying that the website I was trying to download from could be having problems, and they gave up when I explained that I've tried different sites, and just went back to the messed up computer explanation and that I should call a repairman to check out the computer. They were good though.. they had me do a lot of troubleshooting with my browser and stayed on the line for about an hour while I was downloading files, and checking in every now and then to see if it was done.

The very strange thing that I have yet to understand, is that small files work. Regular browsing like Facebook or YouTube all work flawlessly, and even uploading and downloading photos work.

I can't give our account number or MAC addresses right now, because we're on vacation until the 6th, but I'll get them when we get back. How was everyone's 4th?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

When you return let me know. This isn't likely to be the modem but we can take a look.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

No problems. I'm just going nuts trying to find out why it's doing it because it's never happened before.. I'll let you know when we're back. Thanks!
ttcole1254

ttcole1254

Okay I'm back. I'm guessing you want the modem/router MAC address? I'll put it in the direct forums.
deathrat
join:2012-07-15
Melbourne, FL

deathrat to ttcole1254

to ttcole1254
I'm having the exact same problem, I just got off the phone with tech support and they gave me the runaround about it being my computer as well. I have a modem for the phone and a Motorola router/modem combo, and ever since I switched to Lightning I've been getting corrupt files(md5 doesn't match) if it's larger than 100mb.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by deathrat:

I'm having the exact same problem, I just got off the phone with tech support and they gave me the runaround about it being my computer as well. I have a modem for the phone and a Motorola router/modem combo, and ever since I switched to Lightning I've been getting corrupt files(md5 doesn't match) if it's larger than 100mb.

Open a direct forums thread and please include the information normally requested in that section. To be honest with you this has been determined to be a local problem (meaning user) at least for now but if you want I'll be happy to check things for you anyway.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg to ttcole1254

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
Change the MTU in your cisco to 1492 and please report back if that solves the problem.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ttcole1254

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
He claims it happens direct to the modem as well, we've replaced the modem, there are no connection issues. Nothing system related that would cause this.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

I've been skipping my Cisco since the problems started occurring. I have the modem hard-wired direct to my computer. Most people wouldn't notice any problem at all because standard http requests work just fine, like Facebook or GMail.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ttcole1254:

I've been skipping my Cisco since the problems started occurring. I have the modem hard-wired direct to my computer. Most people wouldn't notice any problem at all because standard http requests work just fine, like Facebook or GMail.

But as we discussed in private there are literally thousands of people downloading on our network with no issues including several likely on your same street. We have already checked and replaced any BHN equipment that could be causing this issue.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

I would still adjust the MTU (in this case on the modem). Do a google search on the problem, this is the most likely fix. Small files will work fine but large files are corrupt. You need the 8 control bits for jumbo packets. I've ran across this issue several times.

You can change the MTU on the computer or the router, either will verify if this is the issue.
dirtymelon
join:2010-01-16
Davenport, FL

dirtymelon to ttcole1254

to ttcole1254
Since you say you replicated the issue in multiple computers, memory sticks don't seem to be the issue.

Are you using any kind of Download Manager ie: JDownloader, Flashget. If you are that could be a problem sometimes. It could be a lot of things, from download managers, to your antivirus and or firewall software if you run one, ie: Norton, Mcafee, etc, etc. If you run any flavor of Windows boot in Safe Mode w/ Networking and try to replicate.

I use Firefox and use Downthemall! for download manager, on both Windows and Linux. It happened to me the other day. I was downloading a copy of Zentyal 2.3 and every single download I was doing the md5 would not match. It came down to Downthemall being the problem.

Hope you get your issue resolved.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

I appreciate what you guys are saying, but I'm not using any kind of downloader and I was using a computer hard-wired directly running Ubuntu without any virus or spyware protection, and with the firewall shut off. I'm talking to the tech now and will update this when it gets resolved.

And thanks MrxBurrito, I hope it does too
ttcole1254

ttcole1254

Does anyone have any info that could fix this? I've tried changing the MTU, but I don't think the setting is sticking. It resets back to 0 (aka 1500). All files over 100mb are still corrupt (hashes never matching). The hashes are also different each time.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
Try this...

»www.speedguide.net/downl ··· ads.php/
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

Okay I have it running. I selected 40 down, and then let it optimize the settings. I haven't changed the MTU on it yet, though. So far, the download is running a lot slower than before. it has 30 minutes left whereas before it would be done in 10.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
Yes but if it was corrupting your files the it wasn't downloading correctly to begIn with.....
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

Well this is odd.. With the TCP Optimizer, I ran two downloads of Ubuntu spanning about an hour (downloads are a lot slower) and the sums matched exactly both times. I'll try messing with it to see if just changing the MTU to 1492 does anything at all. Right now the MTU is still at 1500 but everything else is changed for the most part.
ttcole1254

1 edit

ttcole1254

I changed the MTU to 1492, and left that as the only changed setting. The download was extremely slow and actually completed the download when the file was only 133 MB (out of 701)

Edit: I ran another download, and this time it completed fully. The sum was still off though. It only works under TCP Optimizer optimized settings for some reason.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to ttcole1254

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
I've had bad computer RAM cause some issues that you are having despite testing showing the ram being good.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

I was thinking computer problems as well, but the same problem is all over the network and not specific to a single computer.
ttcole1254

ttcole1254

What seems strange, and could simply be server load on the other end, but sometimes the download takes 5 minutes, and sometimes it takes half an hour. It seems to fluctuate a lot.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
It's going to fluctuate. You have no control over the sending server or network. Our long term tests show everything is fine on our end.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

That's what I was guessing. Any word from deathrat yet?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to ttcole1254
not a peep never even started the process.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

Hmm. Should I try messaging him?
ttcole1254

ttcole1254

I just checked his page, and it says he was on last night around 6 PM. And hey, I'm not mad at you, or mad at anyone. I'm just trying to figure this out. I've never experienced a problem like this before.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ttcole1254:

I just checked his page, and it says he was on last night around 6 PM. And hey, I'm not mad at you, or mad at anyone. I'm just trying to figure this out. I've never experienced a problem like this before.

I see no reason to group you two together at this point. If he responds back with the information I requested I will move forward with each of you running sep paths until I see the need to group you. Based on everything I know now this isn't a system issue and therefore you will need to address this locally..meaning your home network. Everything we have checks out fine...better than fine in fact.
ttcole1254
Saint Cloud, FL

ttcole1254

Okay, sounds good. I also just realized that torrents do work (torrent of Linux) because torrents are just a ton of small files. I've also noticed that the longer the download, the more likely it is to come back as good. (i.e. the 5 minute ubuntu downloads fail while the ones taking 30 minutes always work)

Diablo
join:2007-09-17
Kissimmee, FL

Diablo

Make sure you're not running the Torrent app when doing this tests.