spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

es98

join:2012-07-04
Westerville, OH

Not off to a good start; did WOW eliminate the 8642s?

I just came back to WOW (central Ohio) Tuesday night after a couple years with Time Warner. (I had left due to WOW's paltry HD offerings at the time.) The internet worked for maybe an hour before it started dropping the signal for a few seconds at a time. By yesterday morning it was mostly down, and by the afternoon it went completely down. They can't come out until Saturday.

I was unhappy right off the bat when the installer had older model boxes, including an 8300HDC HD-DVR. This has an unacceptably low recording capacity; half or less of the Time Warner HD-DVR I am leaving. I asked the installer about it, and he claimed they are all the same. I asked the CSR on the phone last night for an 8642, and he claimed that WOW has no such thing. I pushed him on it (having read numerous threads here about the 8642s), and he insisted that the 8300 is their latest and greatest. He said it has a 160 GB hard drive, and that is the biggest that WOW has. (He did tell me I could buy an external HDD, but I don't want to mess with that.) Corporate is probably making the CSR's deny the existence of the newer, bigger-capacity DVRs to save money; they don't want everyone demanding the new ones.

The standard digital receiver they gave me is a massive 3100 manufactured in 2006. I received a much smaller, newer digital receiver when I first signed on with WOW 4 1/2 years ago. Imagine my surprise to get an older, clunkier receiver so many years later. This one really won't fit in the bedroom where it needs to go.

I have not yet turned in my Time Warner equipment or called to cancel. TW will probably match the WOW price to keep me as a customer, and I am thinking long and hard about negotiating on price and having TW come out and re-connect me.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:34

The 8642 DVRs do exist, but they're not always available everywhere. You might be able to ask at the local office if they have one you can swap for. Customer service doesn't know what's in stock in your area's warehouse, so that's something you would have to talk to the local office to find out. They have a larger hard drive, I want to say it's 250-300 gigs, but don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.

Ultra TV on the other hand has a 500 gig hard drive, and it's much newer than any of the Cisco/SA boxes we offer. It's a much more modern guide interface, and pretty easy to navigate. It also comes with way more features than the older boxes, so if you haven't looked at Ultra TV yet, you might want to check that out.

»www.wowway.com/our-products/ultr···overview
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

es98

Westerville, OH

There is a WOW office pretty close to me (and sort of on the way home from work):

WOW! Office
3675 Corporate Dr. Columbus, OH 43231
N/A
Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm

The website avoids handing out a phone number, though. But maybe I'll swing by there with the boxes, and see where that gets me. The Ultra would be more money for features I don't need. Aside from the greater recording capacity, which I should be able to get without Ultra.

I feel sort of bad for the guy working as a CSR. He is likely being directed to lie to the callers about the newer boxes. But it is pretty silly to deny that WOW ever had them to a customer who obviously knew better (quoting model numbers and roll-out dates). Does there tend to be a shortage of the 8642s, because WOW is now more focused on buying the Ultra TV equipment instead?

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

said by es98:

There is a WOW office pretty close to me (and sort of on the way home from work):

WOW! Office
3675 Corporate Dr. Columbus, OH 43231
N/A
Mon - Fri 8am - 5pm

The folks at the WOW office there are tremendous. Just go in with a smile and ask if they can help you, and see what happens.

But you do have choices. The Ultra TV is the bomb, compared to anything else they have to offer. $25/month for the main unit plus an extender. Well worth it.

In addition, if you want to keep the single HD DVR unit they have, don't shy away from buying your own external hard drive. It's a dirt simple to plug in and have the DVR recognize and use the storage. Plus, they're cheap. Once you've spent the five minutes to do that, you'll never think about it again--it just works.

es98

Westerville, OH

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

I shopped around a bit for external hard drives (MicroCenter, New Egg, etc.) It appears to me that there are very few eSATA hard drives on the market. At least if their website sorting can be believed, the retailers tend to only have 3 or 4 eSATA drives (compared to dozens or hundreds of USB drives). Maybe the websites are not properly acknowledging that more of them have eSATA compatibility, I don't know. The best I am seeing at the moment is $80 for a 500 GB eSATA drive.

DrJedi

@wideopenwest.com

Best bet is get a standalone drive and a separate esata enclosure fot that. The real best bet is get a TiVo. $14.99/mo +$3.50 cable card for first 2 months, after 2 TiVo will drop to $12.99 if you call trying to cancel. Wow wants $13 I think? So for a few bucks more TiVo also has Netflix, Hulu, better interface. You can go even cheaper with the older model TiVo. Monthly fee is less.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to es98

Upgrade to ultra, you'll be glad you did.

boopin

join:2011-08-25
reply to es98

Yeah, I don't know what kind of setup you have where Ultra is more but I have 2 HDTV's which had HD-DVR's and when I switched to Ultra it was actually cheaper because there are 2 media players included instead of having to pay an extra $15/month for a 2nd HD-DVR. Switching from the old boxes/guide/menus/interface/etc. to Ultra was like jumping 30 years into the future...lol. Or, to more accurately describe it, was like jumping from 30 years in the past to the present.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to es98

I'll second that. My monthly bill dropped with the switch to ultra.

-1 HD-DVR
-1 HD box
-1 Cable model

+1 ultra gateway with 2 players

Net lower months bill. IIRC about $10 less.