kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to battleop

Re: Be Realistic

said by battleop:

It is a pain in the ass to support the customers equipment.

If it's such a pain in the ass to support customer equipment, then supply the required modem free of charge instead of turning it into a revenue stream, "just because you can".

battleop

join:2005-09-28
I guess you missed where I didn't comment on the rental fee.... My comment is strictly related to customers expecting you to support 20323423 different combinations of equipment.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
said by battleop:

I guess you missed where I didn't comment on the rental fee.... My comment is strictly related to customers expecting you to support 20323423 different combinations of equipment.

Then allow customers to BUY modems from the cable company ... and do NOT charge ridiculous 1000% markups. A required modem from the company is nothing but a damn additional FEE, no matter how you slice it.

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
reply to newview
said by newview:

said by battleop:

If it's such a pain in the ass to support customer equipment, then supply the required modem free of charge instead of turning it into a revenue stream, "just because you can".

OMG! You FN Brilliant bro That is what I did at the local Charter office. I got the newest surfboard 2.0. If anything goes wrong with it in a year they swap it out. Just a money grab...
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

battleop

reply to newview
So again what's that go to do with my comment?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
Your comment,
said by battleop:

fails to elaborate that these are the VERY SAME modems that the ISP, in this case Sonic, approves of, and are the very same modems they distribute to customers who choose to rent, and not own. So in effect they are supporting those customer owned modems just by the fact that they are supporting their very own cableco modems. It costs them not a dime more when they push updated firmware to all modems of a particular model, no matter if it is customer or cableco owned.

So, "It is a pain in the ass to support the customers equipment." is bullshit and is just a way to increase fees "just because they can".

Again, if they want to reduce the cost of support, reduce the number of "approved" modems, GIVE them out as part of the ADVERTISED monthly fee and stop jerking your customers around with bogus fee increases.

battleop

I really do not expect a reply but please show me where I approve of the fees? I am only commenting on the SUPPORT aspect of this not the fees.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to newview
the solution to the problem is easy. As with home wireless routers that you buy - they are NOT supported. use a modem that is NOT property of the ISP you don't get support. If they see you, well anything else is your problem until you use a modem supported by them. It's easy.