spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paylow

@rogers.com

[Rant] Is an employer REQUIRED to give you a Pay stub?

I am having an issue with a current employer. This employer only sends a remittance e-mail telling you when you got paid, however it just tells u the gross, net and cpp/ei deductions.

It does NOT show u the hours worked breakdown, nor the hourly rate, sometimes I work extra hours or on holidays where the hourly rate is diferent. Now is it up to me to calculate these on my own? i thought it was required by the employer to provide this?

Here's the funny thing. My last jobs have all provided me this info as standard, didnt have to ask for it, they just mailed it every 2 weeks.

i asked this employer for a break down of the pay stub, so they did it, but now they said it was only a one time gesture and they do not have to do that for my future pay periods.

Who is right and who is wrong here? What if i leave the job or go on UI? you have to submit your hours and without knowing the break down how can i do this?

sincerely,
frustrated

Moonman
Shootin' You The Moon
Premium
join:2001-12-30
Melbourne, ON
Reviews:
·Execulink Wireless

Well if you went on UI. The employer would have to issue a separation slip. That would have all the info your asking about.

As far as what has to be on a pay stub. Don't know? But I would think a call to a provincial labor board may help answer that.
--
"Google Is Your Friend"

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
reply to Paylow

What about this? »www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/···wage.php

Under Wage Statements

ralph1

@uu.net

so they are in violation, what can I do

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

The employment standards information centre should be able o help you - 1-800-531-5551

There's a possibility that they didn't pay you vacation pay and all that, did you add any of that up to confirm?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Paylow

said by Paylow :

I am having an issue with a current employer. This employer only sends a remittance e-mail telling you when you got paid, however it just tells u the gross, net and cpp/ei deductions.

It does NOT show u the hours worked breakdown, nor the hourly rate, sometimes I work extra hours or on holidays where the hourly rate is diferent. Now is it up to me to calculate these on my own? i thought it was required by the employer to provide this?

Every employer is required, by law in Canada, to give you a pay stub telling you all that information.

i asked this employer for a break down of the pay stub, so they did it, but now they said it was only a one time gesture and they do not have to do that for my future pay periods.

Nope. Not what i understand.

What if i leave the job or go on UI? you have to submit your hours and without knowing the break down how can i do this?

sincerely,
frustrated

By law, they have to provide EI with an ROE or Record of Employment.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to Paylow

The company I work for, which acquired us from a now bankrupt former Canadian hi-tech company (not RIM (yet)) doesn't give us ANY printed documents like pay stubs or tax forms. They get around it by making us log in to a third-party website - adp.com, where we have to download and print them ourselves.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by highwire2007:

The company I work for, which acquired us from a now bankrupt former Canadian hi-tech company (not RIM (yet)) doesn't give us ANY printed documents like pay stubs or tax forms. They get around it by making us log in to a third-party website - adp.com, where we have to download and print them ourselves.

That is technically employer provided. You have access to the info, the OP does not.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to highwire2007

said by highwire2007:

That's legal. My employer uses ADP, although someone else downloads and prints the pay stubs for all the local staff.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by DKS:

said by highwire2007:

That's legal. My employer uses ADP, although someone else downloads and prints the pay stubs for all the local staff.

Yea, mine goes through ePost, so I don't get a paper one either, but I do get it the night before I get paid...

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by highwire2007:

Yep ADP. Login to ADP web site and get the one you want.

OP
Its its not arranged as DKS says with any third party then its problem for you and the employer both. I hope your employer in not Asian or the knifes will come out on DSLR. Looks like New immigrant is harassed. OP its your Job that you follow up on Holiday pays and the extra hours worked. Confirm what is your hourly rate with the boss. Whatever you do be polite. Best of luck and best luck finding new job.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Paylow

Interesting thread as I am about to help someone file the same complaint with the ministry.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

Then *surprise!* After the complaint is filed, you're laid off for "economic reasons!"

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

Except they are no longer employed there.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

Ah. Okay.

No problem then.

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium
join:2002-06-18

never got mine from mine either now i think about it i was shafted vacation pay the last year i worked there

slim shady

@uu.net

looks like more and more employers are becoming shady. and im not talking about slim shady aka eminem