Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AKA06

join:2011-02-10
reply to Critsmcgee

Re: Looking for a new thermostat

said by Critsmcgee:

Model TH8321U1006 is the same price but had the humidity feature. You may as well get the top model given the same price.

It's priced higher. If I understand correctly, all of the 8000 series have a humidity sensor built-in. However, the 1006 is able to control dehumidifiers. Anyone feel free to correct me if that's incorrect.

AKA06

said by AKA06:

It's priced higher. If I understand correctly, all of the 8000 series have a humidity sensor built-in. However, the 1006 is able to control dehumidifiers. Anyone feel free to correct me if that's incorrect.

Also unconfirmed but it sounds like the 1006 also has the ability to run cooling programs longer to effectively do more effective dehumidification, sans a whole house dehumidifier.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by AKA06:

Also unconfirmed but it sounds like the 1006 also has the ability to run cooling programs longer to effectively do more effective dehumidification, sans a whole house dehumidifier.

Really so the cooling will run longer in order to dehumidify? What about overshooting the set-point? The control object is to cool and only needs to operate to maintain the set-point. De-humidification is a side effect of the cooling only while the unit is performing its primary function.

De-humidification is best handled by a dedicated De-humidifier.

AKA06

I'm just stating the noted feature. I don't claim it would do the same job - that's unrealistic.

For what it's worth, I was able to find more information on the feature - it does have a built-in limit. It will pass the set point up to 3° F when the humidity sensor sees an increase. I'm just guessing this feature is able to be disabled as well.

supernac

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
reply to AKA06

The single stage 8000 (1h/1c) does not have the humidity feature (I have one), not sure if you can use a two stage model for a single stage system.

AKA06

2 edits

said by supernac:

The single stage 8000 (1h/1c) does not have the humidity feature (I have one), not sure if you can use a two stage model for a single stage system.

All 8000 series models have built-in humidity sensors (according to Honeywell's doco) but only the 8321 has the dehumidification control feature (activate AC based on humidity).

What leads you to believe the more advance 8000 series models will not support a single stage setup? Just follow the wiring diagram ad setup steps for single stage, as found in the install guide.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by AKA06:

said by supernac:

All 8000 series models have built-in humidity sensors (according to Honeywell's doco) but only the 8320/8321 have the dehumidification control feature (activate AC based on humidity).

Let me see if I understand this. If a person has the thermostat set on say 75 degrees and it's at set-point and the humidity rises it cuts the AC on to lower the humidity? So for every 3 degrees lower it costs roughly 20 percent more. Not a very good economic feature IMO.

AKA06

I'm not advocating the feature. Simply noting what the differences are in that line of models. A feature like that isn't about economy, it's about comfort. If you want it, it's there (and only on one model). If you don't, keep the feature disabled or simply don't buy a stat with it in its featureset.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by AKA06:

I'm not advocating the feature. Simply noting what the differences are in that line of models. A feature like that isn't about economy, it's about comfort. If you want it, it's there (and only on one model). If you don't, keep the feature disabled or simply don't buy a stat with it in its featureset.

I know you were only listing features. I just can't imagine anyone using it as it has to be an energy waster and lowering the temperature below comfort and economy level to control humidity doesn't make sense.

supernac

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
reply to AKA06

said by AKA06:

said by supernac:

All 8000 series models have built-in humidity sensors (according to Honeywell's doco) but only the 8321 has the dehumidification control feature (activate AC based on humidity).

What leads you to believe the more advance 8000 series models will not support a single stage setup? Just follow the wiring diagram ad setup steps for single stage, as found in the install guide.

There is no option to display the humidity level on the 8110, if it has a sensor you cant see the data.

From the TH8110U1003 manual:

Dehumidification control (Setup Function 0380): TH8321 models monitor the indoor humidity level and automatically activate the cooling system to reduce humidity by lowering the temperature by up to 3 degrees below the current cool setting.

AKA06

You may be right - it's pretty poorly disclosed on their information pages. If people really need to know, here's the definitive way to tell: if the first part of the model # ends in zero, it's a standard model. If it ends in 1, it's got the humidity sensor.

That said, if people want the extra features of the 8321, there's no reason they can't use it, if they've got a single stage setup.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AKA06

said by AKA06:

said by Critsmcgee:

Model TH8321U1006 is the same price but had the humidity feature. You may as well get the top model given the same price.

Incorrect! Not all of the 8000's have a humidity sensor. We have a single stage and use the 8321. We also don't have a dehumidifier hooked up to it so the humidity is just there as a display which is why we bought the unit in the first place. That's why I said for the same price the OP may as well get the high model with MORE features. I mean who wouldn't take more for the same price?!?!?!?

AKA06

1 edit

said by Critsmcgee:

Incorrect! Not all of the 8000's have a humidity sensor. We have a single stage and use the 8321. We also don't have a dehumidifier hooked up to it so the humidity is just there as a display which is why we bought the unit in the first place. That's why I said for the same price the OP may as well get the high model with MORE features. I mean who wouldn't take more for the same price?!?!?!?

If you have a source where those models are the same price, let us know - they're normally not. As far as humidity display, you're correct, but this was already clarified (see above). That said, this unit has a humidity control feature, which is somewhat misleading in its name - it doesn't control your dehumidifier (I believe you need to step up to IAQ level models for this). What it does is extend your AC cycles beyond the program (within the 3 degree limit) to achieve more coincidental dehumidification.

said by Jack_in_VA:

I know you were only listing features. I just can't imagine anyone using it as it has to be an energy waster and lowering the temperature below comfort and economy level to control humidity doesn't make sense.

Fair enough, and I agree - if the AC is already running, achieving this extra coincidental decrease in humidity may come at a cost. By no means a perfect feature, but it's there. Even if it's silly, it's still worth mentioning, since many people assume the feature to mean the stat will actually control a whole-house dehumidifier.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AKA06

The price changes on thermostats almost daily on Amazon which is what has been linked already in the thread. When I first read this and checked the links the TH8321U1006 was like $5 more then the TH8110U1003 so pretty much the same price. I bought (3) of the TH8321U1006 on November 8th, 2011 for $74.98 each. The other units were in the $90-100 range so I actually got the better unit cheaper. Overall the TH8321U1006 has been a great unit. It made running the humidifier during the winter much easier to regulate. The wife didn't complain near as much since I was ignoring the humidity reading on the machine and going by the thermostats in the house instead.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to AKA06

Well now I'm in a bit of a quandary! Today it's been a bit cooler (low 80s) and a bit rainy (sprinkling on and off), but overall fairly pleasant. As usual, my home thermostat is set to 72 at this time of day, and it feels reasonable in here, maybe a bit warmer in spots; inside the humidity is in the 40s. So today my wife and I go to lunch, and as we walk into the restaurant I note that it is plenty comfortable in there, even if maybe it is a touch warmer and more humid than we're used to (but just barely). So I happen to glance at their digital thermostat, and it shows a set-point of 79 with a current temp of 81 as we arrived (82 as we were leaving). I said nothing at the time, but asked my wife at the end of the meal how comfortable she'd been during it, and she said exactly the same thing that I had already noted - a touch warmer and more humid than she's used to, but overall just fine. So, supposedly it was a full 10 degrees warmer in there than we normally set things at home, but neither of us (especially her) felt uncomfortable.

There did seem to be plenty of air circulating though, so maybe that's the key. Perhaps it's high time for me to go upstairs and cut that fan wire on my new control board after all!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

The wife didn't complain near as much since I was ignoring the humidity reading on the machine and going by the thermostats in the house instead.

How do you know the Humidity Reading on the thermostat is anything close to being accurate? I wouldn't place any bets on it.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Draiman:

The wife didn't complain near as much since I was ignoring the humidity reading on the machine and going by the thermostats in the house instead.

How do you know the Humidity Reading on the thermostat is anything close to being accurate? I wouldn't place any bets on it.

I put the digital and analog hygrometer units I was using previously next to each thermostat for a 24 hours period to verify them accurate. The instructions say it's a +/- 3% RH. I'd place a bet on them any day!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 edit

* Never mind *

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC

2 edits

*removed by poster*

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 edit

* ALSO removed by the poster! *

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to AKA06

I noticed my wife touched our thermostat again yesterday morning when she got home from work, so today I adjusted the program for her so that she "doesn't have to do that any more". It's quite possible that the net effect of the programming change was to increase the temperature of the house overall, except for those hours when she might most notice the change. Not that I would do anything sneaky like that!