TigerLord
Resident pentaxian
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

[Misc] Saying goodbye to Pentax after five years

Well, it's time to move on. Made the decision yesterday, after thinking and evaluating my needs for the past month.

I've loved all my years with Pentax and it has allowed me to grow tremendously as a photographer, but I can no longer stand the shitty AF and Pentax still hasn't gotten their act together in producing a FF body. It's too bad because the K5 is a fantastic camera.

My current gear is pretty extensive and I've acquired some of the best glass Pentax has to offer. Still, after trying a 5DMIII+85L last week, in spite of the huge added bulk, I was flabbergasted by the AF speed. Then I was lucky enough to try a D800+24G (and 85G) and was, again, immediately seduced.

I don't need the extra MP real estate FF provides per say, but the extra f-stop of light and extra DoF are super useful. Plus, the D800 has actual better DR than the K5. Even the FA77, FA31 or FA43 (which I all own) don't hold a candle to glass like the 24G or 85G. The 24-70 is a super zoom, blows the DA*16-50 out of the water for similar zoom, not to mention 24-70 is a lot more useful FL wise on a FF sensor than on a APS-C camera.

I'm waiting for January til the D800 production stabilizes because I'm not in the mood to fight it off for a copy, plus, it'll give me time to sell my gear slowly.

My LBA has been an issue for me, but if I offload most of my gear the switch shouldn't be TOO painful on the bank:

K10D+grip
K5+grip
FA77
FA31
FA43
DA*50-135
DA35
DA12-24
VL 58/1.4

I might keep the K5 (no grip) only with the FA31 though. Such a nice little kickass combo for a walkaround setup.

Any lucky D800 owners out here?

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON

No D800 yet, but I'm seriously considering replacing my D200 with one.

I will probably pick one up once the rumoured D600 is announced. If the specs of the D600 are true, I will probably get a D800.

The D800 seems to be easier to find now, so by the time I'm ready, I should be able to walk into a store and grab one.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to TigerLord

The D800 could easily take me from Canon. You know, if I won the lotto. Grats on the decision and glad you're moving past Pentax. They could be oh so much more.

/Offtopic: I need a good mirrorless... hope that Canon's offering comes up solidly.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me