share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

Rogers: Junk Dealers To The Stars

Ya know, I've tried to keep an open mind about this Docsis 3 upgrade Rogers insists us D2 owners get. I've gone from anger (spent $90 on a D2 modem not so long ago) to waiting it out (hanging on) to sheer disbelief:

So I visit my local Rogers store to see exactly what they're selling. The SMC Gateway comes in 2 models: SMCD3GN 4x4 and SMCD3GN2 8x4. Turns out Rogers is selling for $149.95 the obsolete SMCD3GN. Their selling pitch is "it used to be $199.99"

So I said to the girl (very friendly) "what Rogers customer is going to shell out $170 w/tax Canadian for an obsolete SMC Gateway model that is known to be faulty?" "I know" she says "we've got a whole storeroom full of them. They've been here forever and a day. People just won't buy them"

"So where can I buy an SMCD3GN2?" "You can't" she said "You'll just have to wait till Rogers offers something else. "When will that be?" I wondered aloud. "I have no idea" said the smiling clerk.

I walked out of that store in sheer disbelief. I'm paying $55 a month for Express and getting $27 worth of Internet (10/.5) I've made 2 trips to Rogers and came home empty handed each time. I can't even imagine the suffering I would have to endure calling the Rogers Customer Support Line. I think I would rather move to Syberia. I just couldn't take 2 hours of torment on the phone with a Rogers automaton and still end up with a piece of obsolete Rogers Gateway garbage.

The pain of it all is that I can go downtown and buy a top of the line Motorola SB6121 for $103 and be in Docsis 3 heaven if it weren't for Rogers neanderthal internet policies.

Rogers is forcing me to upgrade and then blocking my every attempt to do so. I used to enjoy the internet but now Rogers has turned that into sheer misery.

Thanks for nothing Rogers...Well, I can dream, can't I? Unless Rogers will find a way to screw that up too.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
If you want to stop getting screwed, stop giving them your money. I switched from Rogers to Teksavvy last year as soon as Teksavvy became available so that I could get away from this sort of crap and haven't looked back since. No more risk of overage charges, no more DNS hijacking, no more throttling, etc. And I'm using a Motorola 6120 that was supplied by Teksavvy for around $100. I'm not sure what options you have where you live, but you are likely to have access to at least one of Start.ca, Distributel or Teksavvy. Yes, switching to another ISP can be a pain, but switching is worth it. And it will save you money.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
said by plebel:

Yes, switching to another ISP can be a pain, but switching is worth it. And it will save you money.

Agreed 110%. I post this stuff to get people talking. It's not about me switching ISPs. It's about getting a hundred thousand Rogers users to pack Rogers in and switch.

People don't know they're getting screwed. They think they're renting/buying top of the line Gateways from Rogers and in reality, it's outdated, refurbished (Cisco), obsolete junk that Rogers is charging top dollar for.

Guys on here talk about channel bonding, QAMs, etc when they should be talking about the junk Docsis 3 equipment they own/rent. How can any self respecting Computer enthusiast sleep at night knowing he's got $3000 worth of high end PC gear hooked up to a Rogers piece of obsolete crap?

It's laughable hearing folks on here talk about 75/2 etc when it's all coming through a hunk of Gateway antique scrap.

We need 100, 1000, One Million Rogers users to band together and say enough is enough.
Either Rogers changes or Rogers users move on. Nothing gets things done faster than the power of the consumer dollar.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
Agree with you 100% elitefx. When our retention deal is up in the fall (30% off + free modem) we will look at switching. I am seriously looking at start.ca because there are reviews that their customer service is better than Teksavvy. I cannot for the life of me understand why people keep putting up with the same crap from Rogers, month after month and year after year!

gwilki

join:2012-06-29
Kanata, ON
It's the same here in Ottawa. The people in the Rogers store are friendly, polite and sympathetic. They know that they are peddling crap, and can do nothing about it. You're right not to bother with telephone support. They are arrogant liars. John in the Office of the President is no better. He is smoother, though. I've written to the Ombudsman, but arrogant John made a point of telling me that the Ombudsman would do nothing but repeat what he told me. If he is right, it really shows the arrogance and lack of customer appreciation inherent in Rogers management.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elitefx
I am with Rogers because I get 75/2 for the same price as what the others offer for a third of the speed. I get my modem for free, and I just shut down the built in crap, and use my own gear.

I find it laughable when people go on about the bad Rogers equipment, and then reference their consumer grade routers and related junk. Very few consumer grade routers, switches, and firewalls are worth their merit.

Rogers went all in one because simply put, most of their consumers, just like bellus, are inept when it comes to tech. I can only imagine how many countless tech support hours, and service call hours were wasted trying to help a customer, only to find the problem was with their customer supplied router. I am sure Bellus and Robbers moved to this model to save costs.

As long as my Rogers POS supplies my speeds both up and down, and I am not paying for it, I could care less. I supply my own gear to do specific functions. I have always hated all in one, because when it fails, everything fails. All in one is akin to a jack of all trades, master of nothing.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
said by Viper359:

Rogers went all in one because simply put, most of their consumers, just like bellus, are inept when it comes to tech. I can only imagine how many countless tech support hours, and service call hours were wasted trying to help a customer, only to find the problem was with their customer supplied router. I am sure Bellus and Robbers moved to this model to save costs.

I am of the belief that for the technically challenged consumer, it is much easier for them to use a stand alone modem with their own router than it is to use a Rogers gateway and then have to figure out how to disable the router component or in your words, "shut down the built in crap" because the range is so poor or they experience constantly dropped connections. They are not likely to get any help from Rogers because the morons at Rogers will quite likely insist that there is nothing wrong with their gateways.

You also claim that "very few consumer grade routers, switches, and firewalls are worth their merit." But as long as you have to use the Rogers "POS", go through the hassle of shutting "down their built in crap" their equipment is certainly not "worth their merit" either. It still completely boggles my mind that Rogers gets away with selling or renting a gateway where only half of it functions as it is intended to!

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

It still completely boggles my mind that Rogers gets away with selling or renting a gateway where only half of it functions as it is intended to!

what is disappointing is how CISCO Is putting out gear like the integrated cable modem Rogers puts out -- as a D3 modem it does a very good job but the router/wireless modules integrated into this all-in-one are very problematic --- so SHAME on CISCO and SHAME on Rogers for foisting this on their consumers.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business