spc
uniqs

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to AKA06

to AKA06

Re: Looking for a new thermostat

The Radio Thermostat (aka 3M50 et al) web interface and firmware have come a long way since the thread linked below, but I don't know if they've changed the cumbersome mounting, lack of fan programming, lack of display lighting options, and the rather unsophisticated (non-existent?) heat anticipator algorithm.

I have two Honeywells and a Radio Thermostat, and there are a lot of little differences that make the Honeywell a better thermostat. But if you're willing to put up with a bunch of quirks, it's hard to beat the features and price of the Radio Thermostat.

»Purchase an IP thermostat or zwave, insteon w/ controller?
AKA06
join:2011-02-10

AKA06

Thanks, ArgMeMatey.

As far as performance is concerned, that's certainly the impression I got; the Honeywell 8000s seemed like more polished device, whereas the RadioThermostat models were rough around the edges but had a good amount of potential, even if they didn't quite deliver on their promise.

Would you mind elaborating on your specific issues with mounting, fan programming and the heat anticipator algorithm?

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

said by AKA06:

Would you mind elaborating on your specific issues with mounting, fan programming and the heat anticipator algorithm?

For example I have the CT80 which mounts with four tiny screws in the corners. I have 4x4 boxes with single-gang mud rings. So my CT80 screws are screwed into the drywall around the box. Nice, huh?

On the other hand, the Honeywells have keyhole slots to mount directly on a mud ring. They also sell an OEM plate with multiple mounting holes. This let me change the stat orientation without opening the wall to turn the mud ring.

Fan programming ... My Honeywell 7-day stats let me program the fan to switch to ON or AUTO without turning on the heat or A/C. So for example I program the fan to start at 5 PM even if there's no call for heat or cooling. And the fan shuts off at 8 AM. Weekdays only, of course.

Heat anticipator ... the Honeywells let me set CPH based on heat type. It's not perfect but it did a better job of not overshooting the set point than the Radio Thermostat. I've seen no evidence that the CT80 even considers this an issue.

Also I didn't use it but the Honeywells have AIR (Adaptive Intelligent Recovery) so you can have the house at the set point AT 5 PM, rather than simply start calling for heat at 5 PM. Good idea but on the coldest winter mornings I got tired of the furnace starting at 4:30 AM since my setback temp is 60 F.

I've seen these Nest things and so on. I don't want a learning stat, I want one where I can tweak their assumptions ad nauseam via a web interface. There are better web-accessible stats out there but nobody at this price.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

2 edits

tp0d

Premium Member

I have a Honeywell 8110 on my first floor (main), its a nice, configurable touchscreen with random fan control. 3yrs old now, very reliable. Same set of lithiums in it, but I use a common wire. Have a Rite Temp 8030 on the 2nd floor, its been a good stat, other than I had to fix the copper contacts when the digitizer went dead. got the 8030 free..

The 3M brand is just and OEM'd Rite Temp thermostat. Older rite-temps were good, but have gotten cheap with later models.

I`m an hvac tech, and all I ever install are Honeywell stats. Rare to see a problem other than batteries.

Cant speak for the wifi side of it, havent had a need yet.

-j
AKA06
join:2011-02-10

AKA06

said by tp0d:

The 3M brand is just and OEM'd Rite Temp thermostat. Older rite-temps were good, but have gotten cheap with later models.

That's not quite correct. The 3M is a rebadged model made by Radio Thermostats. It's entirely possible that Rite Temp also packages some of those models under their own brand, but 3M and Rite Temp are not related.
AKA06

AKA06 to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

Fan programming ... My Honeywell 7-day stats let me program the fan to switch to ON or AUTO without turning on the heat or A/C. So for example I program the fan to start at 5 PM even if there's no call for heat or cooling. And the fan shuts off at 8 AM. Weekdays only, of course.

This sounds like a nice feature, but I'm not sure if it's available on the 8000 series. From what I can tell, there are three fan options. First is fan always on. Second is fan set to auto (meaning it only runs when heat/AC are running). Third is circ, which is basically random circulation running about a third of the time.

I'd use the third circ option to lessen the load on the furnace or AC in the morning or the evening...but being able to schedule the fan would be even better. That said, I'm assuming the models you're referring to are NOT the 8000 series and, as such, don't support this feature.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

I have an 8000 thermostat and you can set the fan mode in the programming. I like the fan to switch from auto to circ on the weekends when I am at home more but not change the temp setpoint. At the required time the fan will switch to circ and then back to auto on the next programming step.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to ArgMeMatey

Premium Member

to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

The Radio Thermostat (aka 3M50 et al) web interface and firmware have come a long way since the thread linked below, but I don't know if they've changed the cumbersome mounting, lack of fan programming, lack of display lighting options, and the rather unsophisticated (non-existent?) heat anticipator algorithm.

I have two Honeywells and a Radio Thermostat, and there are a lot of little differences that make the Honeywell a better thermostat. But if you're willing to put up with a bunch of quirks, it's hard to beat the features and price of the Radio Thermostat.

»Purchase an IP thermostat or zwave, insteon w/ controller?

The mounting is the same, there is no anticipator algorithm, fan programming is possible with the "Thermostat for Windows" program, display backlight is off except for when the touch pad is in use.

However the big feature for me is the free remote access, via WiFi, in a device that costs less than $100. I own 3 of these 3M50 'stats that are installed in my NJ house and Delaware house. They make it really easy to keep track of conditions when I am not physically present. There are free iPad and Android apps available to do simple control and the WWW. interface allows detailed programming.

I know Honeywell makes a remote access device but finding information on it and actually buying one, unless you are a dealer, is very difficult. The 3M50 on the other hand is popular and well documented.