derekivey

join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Business] Comcast SMCD3G-CCR no longer listening on HTTP/HTTPS

Hi guys,

We have a Comcast-owned SMCD3G-CCR modem at work for our Business Class internet and I noticed that I can no longer login to the web interface to view stats and stuff. I tried »10.1.10.1 and »10.1.10.1, as well as our modem's external IP. I did a nmap on it and noticed it isn't listening on port 80 or port 443. I have not had a chance to reboot it to see if it starts listening again. Has anyone else had this problem? I also tried plugging my laptop directly into the modem and assigning a 10.1.10.XXX static IP on my laptop. I wonder if Comcast started blocking customer access to the modem?

Thanks,
Derek

-bash-3.00$ ping 10.1.10.1
PING 10.1.10.1 (10.1.10.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.1.10.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=1.40 ms
64 bytes from 10.1.10.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=0.939 ms

--- 10.1.10.1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.939/1.170/1.401/0.231 ms, pipe 2
-bash-3.00$ sudo nmap 10.1.10.1
Password:

Starting nmap 3.70 ( »www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2012-07-05 19:11 EDT
Interesting ports on 10.1.10.1:
(The 1654 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp filtered ssh
23/tcp open telnet
53/tcp open domain
1720/tcp open H.323/Q.931
2601/tcp open zebra
2602/tcp open ripd

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.005 seconds

clic

@comcast.net

Re: [Business] Comcast SMCD3G-CCR no longer listening on HTTP/HT

Did you try telnet'ing or ssh'ing into it? I'll agree the web interface should still work, but I wouldn't be able to resist poking around

derekivey

San Jose, CA

Yeah, it works, but it asks for a password and my cusadmin username didn't work. Going to hopefully try rebooting it today.

derekivey

San Jose, CA
reply to derekivey

Ok, I was able to reboot it and the web interface started working again.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to derekivey

Its possible a new firmware reset the modem to defaults and it just needs to be set back up, not always but sometimes it happens, its also possible the modem just needs to be rebooted so it redownloads its profile which sometimes does not happen on firmware upgrades because the server tried to send it out while the modem is still negotiating with the cmts and is unable to accept the file at that time, especially with D3 due to bonding adding another step and thus taking longer to get back on line.

tdiddy3

join:2004-02-11
Houston, TX
reply to derekivey

I'm having the same issue - the cusadmin login is not working. I've rebooted the router and that didn't change anything.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

said by tdiddy3:

I'm having the same issue - the cusadmin login is not working. I've rebooted the router and that didn't change anything.

If you are implying that you can reach the router's login page with http, but the cusadmin password does not work, that is a different situation from the OP's.

What you have sounds like what happened to many of us in May, when Comcast first forced the faulty 3.1.4.51.1 firmware to the SMCD3G-CCR, and then had to revert to the older 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware. After the 1.4.0.49.7-CCR firmware was reloaded, many users could no longer use the cusadmin account. The fix was to call support at 800-391-3000 and have a business class tech either rebuild your profile or reset the cusadmin password. If you have a dynamic IP address account, you can probably just do a pushbutton factory default reset on your SMCD3G-CCR (but if you have any port forwarding rules setup, you will lose those with a factory default reset).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to derekivey

said by derekivey:

Ok, I was able to reboot it and the web interface started working again.

Now that you can access the router's admin server again, you might want to check the Firewall Options page. I have seen not having the Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection "feature" checked sometimes cause the router to lose its http admin server (and also sometimes just lockup in general).

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KYL

join:2007-03-07
Wilsonville, OR
reply to flwpwr

There is no new firmware out currently, if anything it would have been a downgrade if he did not already have 49.7, but that would not have shut off port 80 access. Additionally, the "profile" the modem downloads on each reboot only contains the provisioned speed rates for the customers modem, not the Static IP/Firewall info - that is loaded as a separate config file. Bonding is not "another step", it follows the same upstream lock as described from the UCD says lock onto these channels.