« Dane Strikes Out?Uh Ohhh..... »
This is a sub-selection from Be Realistic
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to rradina

to rradina

Re: Be Realistic

Working in DSL support.

90% of problems are caused by the modems, either them going back or a configuration problem, and mailing a modem is much easier then rolling a truck.

So it is usually the first go to for support.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by balur:

Working in DSL support.

The only issue I had with DSL is with CenturyLink. I had a Cisco 678 from 5 years ago (when we had Qwest).

The tech support is from India (yes, they forgot to hang up and I heard the conversation between the co-workers). Not to mention, they didn't know the difference between PPPoA and PPPoE.. which is a massive FAIL to me. I even told them I was an advanced user.

Needless to say, I found out they converted from PPPoA to PPPoE, rendering my little Cisco 678 useless as a router. It still works fine as a terminal with my main router connecting using PPPoE.

I did switch to an Actiontec M1000 using PPPoE. It works decent and it supports a few newer technologies. I still keep my Cisco for backup purposes in case the Actiontec dies.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur

said by SimbaSeven:

I even told them I was an advanced user.

Just a tip when dealing with support, NEVER do this. 99% of people who tell us how much they know, know very little about relevent info. When you tell a support person that you know a lot or that you have qualifications they sigh and think "Ugh its going to be one of those calls" as most those calls are negative and the callers are obstructionist.

Work with support, give them nudges if you think they are on the wrong track, if they are competent they will realize that you are too, if they aren't then they probably aren't going to leave there flowcharts anyways.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by balur:

said by SimbaSeven:

I even told them I was an advanced user.

Just a tip when dealing with support, NEVER do this. 99% of people who tell us how much they know, know very little about relevent info.

Depends. If you tell them you're an advanced user, they'll usually switch to a Tier2 or Tier3 instead of wasting their time with confusing technical jargon that they'll never understand.
« Dane Strikes Out?Uh Ohhh..... »
This is a sub-selection from Be Realistic