how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

UTV WiFi

Well, to boost the wireless signal on my relative's gateway, I repurposed their old router (WRT54g v8.0) as a wireless repeater bridge. I used DD-WRT to do it, and I thought I might share how to do it in case anyone wanted to do the same but didn't know how to go about it.

Go to dd-wrt.com and read the installation wiki and all its materials. If you don't, you'll brick your router. Follow its instructions and at the bottom of the installation page you will see brand- and model-specific instructions for flashing the firmware on your router. Then, go to this page: »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Re···r_Bridge and follow its instructions. It should boost your signal especially if you are in a larger home and you have to put the gateway in a tricky spot.

Fair warning, though. If you mess it up, you can brick your router, but in the case of UTV customers, most of us are not using our old routers for anything.

teeohhem

join:2012-02-13

Just so everyone knows, this solution might not be ideal. Repeaters increase wireless signal but HALVE the speed because they have to receive packets and redistribute them. Just an FYI...

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

If you use wireless N, it should minimize the loss. I switched it with an N model (WRT-160N) and I get the full 15.8 Mbps connection speed with all my devices (even wireless G)

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to teeohhem

Just so everyone knows, you're only going to halve the network connection speed, not the speed to the internet. So if you've got a full 802.11G connection at ~54mbps, you'll only have 27mbps throughput. Which means that if you're on a 50mb plan you're missing out on half your speed (get an 802.11N router), ~10% on a 30mb plan (get an 802.11N router), or you'll be perfectly fine on the 15mb or 2mb plan.

said by teeohhem:

Just so everyone knows, this solution might not be ideal. Repeaters increase wireless signal but HALVE the speed because they have to receive packets and redistribute them. Just an FYI...