how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shppp

join:2010-12-22
Davenport, IA

Ongoing Issue - Internet Disconnects

For about two weeks now the internet connection here has been disconnecting and my modem has been trying to refresh and get a connection. It will go down anywhere from 15 minutes to 12 hours one night. I have had two separate technicians come out and try and fix the issue. On the first trip out, the tech replaced my modem (did not fix the issue). Today, the technician replaced some coax cable that appeared to be damaged, two barrel connectors, and a splitter, and assured me that this problem was taken care of. He made the claim that Direct TV (that came out to install their service after Mediacom had installed internet) had partially drilled through the coax, however I have had Direct Tv for months now, and this issue just arose 2 weeks ago. Regardless, the issue is still not fixed, and now I am waiting for a third tech to come out on the 9th and address this issue. When the internet is up, my speeds are where they should be, however, this internet service has been the most unreliable I have had

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

PM MediacomChad on the forums he'll, hell assist you with your issues.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103
reply to shppp

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will be working with the area supervisor to help get this issue resolved.

craftclub

join:2012-07-13
Columbia, MO

Just wondering if this problem solved yet.. ever since last week, my Internet been disconnecting and my phone service hasn't been reliable.

Tech support saying that's nothing they can do except to ask me to reboot my modem everytime. It came backk but didn't last.. always the same process. Every day for the last 7 days.

I am very frustrated. What exactly happened at the Columbia service area that caused Mediacom service to be so unreliable?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

craftclub, I will be happy to investigate your issue as well to verify if you are being effected by the same thing. Can you send me an Instant Message with your account or phone number?

Boss302_1970

reply to shppp

I'm now noticing mine is dropping a lot more then it ever has. and it seems to just drop long enough to interrupt what im doing and then the modem resets and it comes back. dropped a few times each day in the last 2-3 days.

mccvip

join:2007-04-28
Iowa City, IA
reply to shppp

I'm having the same problem too (in east Iowa City). I'm working with MediacomChad See Profile to get it resolved.

Boss302_1970

reply to shppp

happened here 2 times so far today too ;-(

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Sent you a PM Boss. Mccvip, your signals are looking pretty good and when I ping the modem I am not getting any packet loss. Do you get the same problem with your router bypassed?

Boss302_1970

thanks Chad still dropping today too ;-(

mccvip

join:2007-04-28
Iowa City, IA
reply to shppp

MediacomChad See Profile, yes it still happens if I bypass the router. Also, I send you a PM.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Thank you. I will check into everything

mr_boodog

join:2008-08-12

I just posted a similar note in the dcc-ack thread. We are seeing this same behavior in Grand Rapids, MN. at both a business I oversee and my residence.

I can pinpoint the start of the behavior of 7-2-2012 when a massive wind storm blew through the area, and wiped out trees throughout the town. Ever since, my modem does a reset every 15-20 minutes. It does not stay down for long, but like another mentioned, just enough to interrupt a web session.

Very strange that this is occurring in such a wide range of locations.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

mr_boodog If you like you can send me an IM with your account info and I will look into this further.

Boss302_1970

reply to mr_boodog

yeah its very odd. it just drops just enough to cause me to notice, when i go into look at the modem, its usually just finishing the reset. it must not be enough for the modem to show an actual drop, cause Chads saying it has been up for 17 days. but its dropping numerous times per day. just enough to drop me offline

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

Yeah, I'm still having this issue intermittently as well. I thought it had been improving, but now over the past week I've seen it start to happen more frequently again.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Boss302_1970

reply to Boss302_1970

its getting worse, last night it dropped 4 times in 30 minutes UGH!

mr_boodog

reply to shppp

Chad check out my signals; all looked good from his end. However, he did note many modem resets. Yesterday, my system was up pretty much all evening. However, today, started seeing the same resets. While I was remoted into my home system, I had Mediacom support on the line, and the modem reset. She asked if I had turned it off. Of course, I hadn't, I wasn't even there.

She had me bring my modem into the local office, and they gave me a new one. No resets since around 2pm. I'll be keeping an eye on its performance.

Jeff

Boss302_1970

I'm wondering the same thing,if maybe i need a modem swap. i can be watching and see the online light start to flash as things reset, then it comes back the entire process takes about 1 minute but it sure is frustrating. and it has gotten worse as the days pass.

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA

Doesn't it seem strange though, that all of us would start having issues around the same time? I suppose it could be the modem, but it makes me wonder if there's something else at the root cause.
--

mr_boodog

It does seem bizarre, and more than a coincidence that so many are having similar issues. And most are in IA\MN. I wonder how many other MC customers (who are not on the forums) are experiencing this, but are just calling into support?

Yesterday, I swapped out my cable modem, and system appears stable so far. Until I go an entire weekend hiccup-free, I am a little hesitant to say it is completely resolved.

Has anyone else with the reset issue changed out the modem?

jhigh

join:2002-04-06
West Des Moines, IA
reply to danawhitaker

I don't know if it's related, but I've been having the same intermittant disconnects in the wdm area. My modem doesn't reboot, but the upstream light goes out for 5 to 10 seconds then comes back on. Occasionally, I would have to power cycle the modem to restore connectivity. I noticed that my modem power levels had been fluctuating wildly as well (upstream would go up/down +- 10 dBmv just seconds apart).

MediacomChad is awesome and has been helping to get the issue resolved. A tech did some work at the tap a few days ago and so far the levels have been stable. Keeping my fingers crossed...

danawhitaker
Premium
Urbandale, IA
reply to mr_boodog

said by mr_boodog:

I wonder how many other MC customers (who are not on the forums) are experiencing this, but are just calling into support?

Or, alternately, aren't even noticing at all. I happen to have my modem within eyesight of the PC I use most of the time, with the lights always visible, and I happen to play an online game (Diablo 3) that is hypersensitive to such disconnects. And I'm home during the day and later at night when a lot of people are either at work or asleep already. Since the modem itself never shows a true disconnect on the occasions I'm experiencing this, even if you were checking this for an indicator of stability you'd be unaware of what was really going on.
--

Boss302_1970

reply to shppp

I can't believe how much I am losing my internet lately, its actually pitiful, i lost it 2 times in the last 5 minutes. I sure hope Chad can come up with a reason why its doing this in so many areas. otherwise i'm about to go to my local office and try a modem swap. I.m patient but this is ridiculous

Boss302_1970

reply to danawhitaker

yes you are correct Dana, if its not the modem here then something else on a larger scale is going on. My brother in law was having the same issues 3 blocks away for the last month and he got a modem swap and hes stable now. Ill find out soon. I think Chad is going to schedule a tech visit for me and im going to request they bring a new modem with them also.

Boss302_1970

reply to shppp

since this afternoon 3:21 pm it dropped,3:35 pm it dropped 6:41 pm it dropped 7:04 pm it dropped 7:24 pm it dropped, 8:26 pm it dropped and now its 8:30pm and it dropped again this is all in 5 hours time. and i might have missed some of them. HELP!@!!@

B_W

Burlington, IA

I'm getting lots of drops in Burlington this evening as well.

Boss302_1970

thats where im at

mr_boodog

reply to danawhitaker

Not noticing is very possible. Like Boss, I have my modem in line of sight, and noticed pretty much every time when it reset. I would be doing some research, then go offline. I would see the lights flash, then go out, then come back in 10-15 seconds. It always came back just fine, but the interruptions were becoming a nuisance.

With a new modem, I have had a few days now with no resets. Still strange that so many are experiencing similar problems.

Boss302_1970

Chad set up a tech visit for me and so far so good, changed my tap on the pole, a new filter, and put new ends on everything. ill feel a LOT better after a few days with no drops .