DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
reply to ctgreybeard

Re: [STB] HDMI frustration!

Short of a bad box... maybe that HDMI isn't HDCP compliant? HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Once copy controls are enabled on the box, the HDMI and DVI ports they're connected to must be HDCP complaint from what I remember.

What model is the TV? Is the firmware on it update to the latest available?
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
The TV was working fine. One day it stopped talking. It is less than a year old. I have no idea what the firmware version is nor do I know how I might update it but I'll take a look. And it has failed against two separate STB's.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to ctgreybeard
I agree with beachintech, call Support for a Technician to come check it out. I perform these calls on a fairly regular basis as well.

Best of luck!

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Well, I posted in Comcast Direct and have a truck roll scheduled for this morning. The guy didn't seem too surprised by the problem and I expect we'll have it resolved today. That will make my grandson very happy because we can then hook the WII up again.
--

ctgreybeard
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to ctgreybeard
Problem solved! All it took was to swap the STB. And while he was here he was concerned with the modem upstream. He was measuring 45 dBM at the demarc and 53 at the modem. He's going to let the powers-that-be know that it's marginal. They'll have to adjust the amp I guess.
--

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
said by ctgreybeard:

He was measuring 45 dBM at the demarc and 53 at the modem. He's going to let the powers-that-be know that it's marginal. They'll have to adjust the amp I guess.

That doesn't always indicate a problem, and they don't simply adjust the amp to change your upstream, they wish. Assuming 1-2db for your drop you are 43 at the tap. That is perfectly acceptable if 43 is supposed to come from that tap, if not it's a problem with a component failure or bad design, but you don't just adjust the amp. Maintenance will look at it to see if it's a problem with the plant. Repairs/modifications to your home wiring could later be needed to lower your upstream if/when it becomes a problem and the plant is deemed ok.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to ctgreybeard
Fantastic news!!
When in doubt, ask them to come out.