spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrMac

@dslextreme.com

Restrictions galore...

This is absurd. Yes this would make troubleshooting easier but understand this. I am on residential ADSL which I have had since the introduction of service back in 1998 by then Pacific Bell, then SBC before I then switched to DSL Extreme where my LEC is AT&T. I started out with an Alcatel ADSL 1000 ADSL modem which when it died, I received a replacement an Efficient Networks now Siemens Speedstream 5100 Rev. A ADSL modem which I had to purchase. Whether one particular manufacture & model or another is provided, this does not matter because they all contain the same basic innards of which the speed of the line is what determines how fast your connection is. By forcing the consumer in using the provider's modem/router is ridiculous because it is the LEC that is benefiting because they are charging you an extra monthly fee for equipment that is leased during the tenure of having the service & most of us already have a modem. Plus most in the U.S.A. have a copper based broadband service i.e. xDSL or Cable. Only if one is lucky to reside in an AT&T U-verse, Verizon FIOS or EFM serviceable neighborhood then would the modem matter since the technology is different. Think of this also, current U-verse & FIOS service isn't even FTTP, FTTH, FTTC it is FTTN. This means that from the Node to the Home the cabling is still copper based. Until the entire U.S.A. is wired FTTP, FTTH, FTTC like South Korea is currently & developing countries are getting installed, then these cellular carriers & LECs along with the FCC will restrict Americans in how the service can be used. Reconsideration in America needs to be implemented as we move further into a technological era in the 21st century. A nation as a whole will just not be able to compete globally any longer :-(!